- Joseph Gossett's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person was created through the import of Shortened files.ged on 30 December 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- Name: Joseph /GOSSETT/
- Source: #S295
- Religion: @N1593@
- Note: @N8238@
- @N8238@ NOTE
- His mother was Nancy.
- Not the Joseph Gossett of Henry Co VA 1820; this man was already in Ohio by 1812. See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtncousin/roots.htm.
- From ttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~norrie/joseph_gossett.htm, this man was "believed to be a son of Daniel and Nancy (Noffsinger) Gossett," but he was too old for that. [KP]: He was born 25 Mar 1792 in Virginia. I do not know where in Virginia Joseph was born or who his parents were, but The History of Henry County, IN states that "most early settlers of Fall Creek township were from Rockingham Co VA". In 1830, Joseph and his wife and family moved into Henry Co IN and were among the first settlers. Joseph Gossett entered land, built a log cabin, and not having time to split out their puncheon flooring, or to build a chimney before winters set in, they built their fire in the middle of the room. Joseph Gossett is said to have been the first Justice of the Peace of Henry county, holding the office continually for thirty-two years, with the exception of one term, and was holding the office at the time of his death. He was considered as good as a scholar in the common branches as there was in the county. He served in the War of 1812 in Captain Samuel B. Kyle's Company of Ohio Militia from December 1, 1812 until April 24, 1813. He held the rank of sergeant, served two terms and received a land grant of 160 acres. After serving his first term, he enlisted a second time and received a land warrant of 160 acres. He died 6 Dec 1860 in Fall Creek Twp, Henry Co IN.
- OHN GOSSETT was born in Union County, Ind., August 1, 1824, and is the son of Joseph and Rebecca (Warnock) Gossett, of German and Irish descent. In 1880, his parents moved into Henry County and were among the first settlers. Joseph Gossett entered land, built a log cabin, and not having time to split out their puncheon flooring, or to build a chimney before winter set in, they built their fire in the middle of the room. Joseph Gossett is said to have been the first Justice of the Peace of Henry County, holding the office continually for thirty-two years, with the exception of one term, and was holding the office at the time of his death. He was considered as good a scholar in the common branches as there was in the county. The subject of this sketch has led a farmer's life, and lived at home until he was twenty-two years of age. He was married in Henry County, in 1848, to Miss Elizabeth Fadely, of Virginia. They have had eight children, three of whom are living - Rebecca C., Elizabeth A. and Nancy J. Mr. Gossett lived on the home farm until the death of his father, when he sold out and came to Howard County in 1861, and purchased the place where he is now living. He is the present Township Trustee, now serving his third term. He has been a member of the United Brethren Church since his sixteenth year. His wife is also a member of the same church. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812. After serving his first term, he enlisted a second time and received a land warrant of 160 acres. John Gossett has held several of the minor offices in the township. In an early day he was a Whig, but since the organization of the Republican party he has always voted that ticket.
- Counties of Howard and Tipton, IN, 1883 by F.A. Battey & Co, Chicago, IL, at
- User ID: A9E25B37DD6F4AF9832F73E1944D3A2AF7A6
- Data Changed:
- Date: 21 JUL 2009
Prior to import, this record was last changed 21 JUL 2009.
- Source S295
- Text: Topic 18. Kentucky Interests. Gossett/Gosset Genealogy web site. <http://www1.sursouth.com/~fgossett/topic 34.html> Downloaded 8 Dec 1998 by Kathy Patterson.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Joseph's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Joseph is 23 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 42 degrees from Anne Frank, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 33 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 25 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.