alt place of birth England
Jasper arrived in Boston, Mass. October 8, 1635 in the ship "Defense" that sailed from London July 14, 1635 when he was 29 years old.
He settled in Roxbury, Mass. and was made a "freeman" of that place at a General Court held in Boston. In 1639 he had lot #24 in Milford, Conn.
He was Milford's first physician, a mender of brass and copper vessels, schoolmaster, sealer of weights and measures, a deacon of the church and generally a man of importance in the community.
About 1647 he moved to Hartford, Conn. where he continued his medical and other activities, also operating a mill.
In 1641 he was admitted to the church in Milford, "having been admitted and dismissed from the church in Hartford".
Jasper came to New England in 1635 in the ship Defense. Settled in Roxbury, but moved to Hartford as early as 1648. Later moved to Milford, CT. Man of active temperment and versatile talent. In 1649, he was "freed from watching during the time he attends the service of the mill". In 1656, he was "freed from training, watching, and warding during his practice of phissicke". Was a deacon in Milford, a schoolmaster, and appeared as an attorney in court on at least one occasion. Was the representative of Milford to the General Court. In his will, he left his land and stock to his sons. To Mehitable, he left "one of Mr. Hooker's books and my Aynsworth Communion of Saints".
He died in Milford.
- 2 Jan 1671
- Milford, CT
- Jasper Gunn and Mary Christian Baldwin were married on 08 Oct 1635 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
- Nathaniel Pistole Gunn was born in 1640 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Conneticutt. He married Sarah Day on 17 Nov 1658 in Springfield, Mass. He died in 1662 in Suffolk, Conneticut.
- Jobamah Gunn was born in 1641 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA. He married Sarah Lane on 30 Oct 1663 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA. He died in 1715 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
- Daniel Gunn.
- Mehitable Gunn was born in 1641 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA. She died in 1730 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
- Abel Gunn was born on 19 Jun 1643 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA. He married Mary Smith on 29 Oct 1667 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA. He died in 1668 in Derby, New Haven, Connecticut, USA.
- Samuel Gunn was born in 1647 in Hartford, Connecticut, USA. He died in 1699 in Milford, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
- Descendents of Henry Gunn, p. 1; http://www.digginupfamily.com/documents/gunn.html
- Families of Early Milford, Connecticut, by Abbott
- Baldwin, Charles Candee (1881) Baldwin Genealogy from 1500-1881. Leader Printing co., Cleveland Ohio. (pg 50)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Jasper's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katie Pyle, John Putnam, Sara Patton, Karen Pelling, and Marvin Gunn. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On January 27, 2014 Michelle Brooks wrote: