- William I, Count of Hainaut (1286 - 7 Jun 1337)
- William III, Count of Avesnes
- William III, Count of Holland
- William II, Count of Zeeland
John II, Count of Hainaut and Philippa of Luxembourg
- m. Jeanne de Valois (Joan of Valois) before 1311. Issue: 8:
- William II, Count of Hainaut (1307-1345)
- John (died 1316)
- Margaret II, Countess of Hainaut (1311-1356), married Louis IV, Holy Roman Emperor
- Philippa of Hainault (1311-1369), married King Edward III of England
- Agnes (died 1327)
- Joanna of Hainaut (1315-1374), married William V, Duke of Jülich
- Isabelle of Hainaut (1323-1361), married Robert of Namur
- Louis (1325-1328)
- 7 children with Trude Boudijnsdotter van de Poule and other mistresses
Guillaume III 'le Bon' d'Avesnes, comte de Hainault et Zeelande
- Royal Ancestry by Douglas Richardson Vol. III, page 190
9. , GUILLAUME (or WILLEM) III le bon, [Count of Hainault, Holland and Zeeland, lord of Friesland, 3rd but eldest surviving son and heir, born probably in 1286. He married by contract dated at Chauny (Aisne) 19 May 1305 JEANNE OF VALOIS, daughter of Charles of France, Chev., Count of Valois, Alencon, Chartres, and Perche, titular King of Aragon and Valencia, Count Barcclona, and, in right of his 1st wife, Count of Anjou and Maine, by his 1st wife, Marguerite, daughter of Charles II, King of Jerusalem and Sicily, Duke of Apulia, Prince of Capua, Salerno, and Taerento, Count of Anjou, Provence, and Forcalquier [see VALOIS 11 for her ancestry]. She was born about 1294. They had three sons, Jean (or Jan) (died young), Guillaume (or Willem) (IV) [Count of Hainault and Holland], and Louis (or Lodewijk) (died young), and six daughters Sibylla, Marguerite (or Margaretha), PHILIPPE, Jeanne (or Johanna), Agnes, and Isabelle (or Elisabeth). .... GUILLAUME III, Count of Hainault, Holland, and Zeeland, died at Valenciennes (Nord) 7 (or 8) June 1337, and buried there in the Church of the Franciscans. He left a will dated 22 Feb. 1336, codicil dated 30 May 1337. His widow, Jeanne, became a num at Fontenelles Abbey near Valenciennes in 1337, before 8 Nov. JEANNE OF VALOIS, former Countess of Hainault and Holland, died at Fontenelles Abbey 7 March 1352, and was buried there.
Children of Count Guillaume (or Willem) III, by Jeanne de Valois:
- i. MARGUERITE (or MARGARETHA) OF HAINAULT
- II. PHILIPPE OF HAINAULT, maried EDWARD III, King of England [see ENGLAND 9].
- iii. JEANNE (or JOHANNA) OF HAINAULT
- iv. ISABELLE (or ELISABETH) OF HAINAULT
- Illegitimate child of Guillaume III of Hainault, by and unknown mistress, _____:
- i. ELIZABETH OF HOLLAND, nun at Stratford le Bow Abbey, Middlesex. She left a will dated 23 Sept. 1375, proved 25 Sept. 1375.
- Royal Ancestry by Douglas Richardson Vol. II, page 23
• Royal Ancestry by Douglas Richardson Vol. V, page 232
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Guillaume III's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: John Atkinson, Katherine Patterson, and Roger Travis. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On August 22, 2015 at 11:37GMT Roger Travis wrote:
On May 7, 2015 at 10:44GMT John Atkinson wrote:
Guillaume III is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 23 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 34 degrees from Gene Kelly, 23 degrees from Bram Stoker and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.