- Jesse Calvert Hamrick's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person was created through the import of Pioneer Stock.GED on 31 October 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- Date: OCT 1878
- Place: Pioneer Cemetery, Ione, Amador Co., CA.
- Note: @NI09296@
- @NI09296@ NOTE1860 census, Amador Co., CA., Twp. 2, Ione P.O., Pg. 33, Line 25.
- THE FOLLOWING IS TAKEN FROM JILL O'NEIL CHINGS HAMRICK WEBSITE:
- "...They came first to California by covered wagon in 1850 settlingin the Jackson Valley, which was at first Calaveras County, and in 1854the area became Amador County.
- Jesse Calvert and Elizabeth W. (Rhodes) Hamrick were in Missouri forthe birth of their children James in 1847 and Lavina in 1849, and as theyset off from Missouri for the thousand mile journey to California,Elizabeth was carrying their third child and gave birth to CosumnesCalifornia Hamrick (McMurry) "the minute" they arrived in California, in1850. Family tradition says "she was the first white child born in thearea." The Hamrick's "lived in a gold mining camp near an Indian village,on the banks of two forks of the Cosumnes River." There is a place whichfits this description exactly, which is called Yeomet.
- Next Elizabeth had my great grandmother Sarah Ellen Hamrick (Martin) in1852. Altogether Jesse and Elizabeth had 11 children at their homesteadat Jackson Valley, California. He was a gold miner for a short time, thenreturned to farming, and he operated the "Hamrick Toll Road" which is offthe present day Ridge Road in Jackson Valley today, above the HistoricJackson Gate. It is now called "Hamrick's Grade Road."
- In 1857 Jesse served as a trial juror in Amador County and in 1856 he wasthe designated district school clerk for the Jackson Valley School. Jessewas a delegate in the 1877 County Democratic Convention, according to thelocal newspaper, the Amador Dispatch. I have the newspaper accounts ofeach of these facts. Jesse directly descended from Lord Baltimore ofMaryland, the Calvert family...
- Sarah Ellen Hamrick married Frank Martin in Amador County,California in 1871 where they had 7 children. Frank Martin had leftKeokuk, Iowa in 1861 and headed west by ox train, he settled first of allin the village of Stockton, California and worked driving wagon trainbetween Virginia City, Nevada and Stockton, California, one of the "famed teamsters" of that era. Frank drove the hard wagon trail from SanJoaquin to the Virginia City silver mines, during their heydey. He laterbecame a school teacher at the Jackson Valley School in Amador County,California where he met Sarah Hamrick. She was his student. Theirmarriage lasted for 63 years, until Frank died in 1934..."
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Jesse Calvert's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages:
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Jesse Calvert is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 26 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 22 degrees from Mark Hamill, 14 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.