- Thomas Hanks's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
He married Elizabeth Ryan.
He had been living in Hampshire County Virginia when he entered service in the Revolutionary War. He was drafted into service in the fall of 1780. He served two tours totally about 5 months in 1780 and 1781.
Taxed on 320 acres in Washington County, Ohio in 1810.
In 1820, he was living not far from his son, Peter, in Ross County.
He moved to DeGraff, Logan County, Ohio a "few years" before 1833. In that year, while a resident of Logan County, he applied for a pension for his military service in the Revolutionary War. He was rejected, due to having served less the the six-month minimum required to qualify under the Pension Act of 1832.
Thomas and Elizabeth had these children (not in particular order):
- Joseph, b. bef. 1795
- Peter, b. 1 Mar 1796
- Absalom, b. 1800
- Isaac, b. 1803
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 "United States Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Applications, 1800-1900," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N95M-HZ3 : accessed 18 March 2015), Thomas Hanks, pension number R. 4,571, service Va.; from "Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files," database and images, Fold3.com (www.fold3.com : n.d); citing NARA microfilm publication M804 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d); FHL microfilm 971,182.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Find A Grave Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QVVL-JNP9 : accessed 18 March 2015), Thomas Hanks, 1834; Burial, De Graff, Logan, Ohio, United States of America, Huber Cemetery; citing record ID 19042243, Find a Grave, http://www.findagrave.com.
- ↑ This seems somewhat unlikely/out-of-his-way and isn't in his pension application. ~~~~
- ↑ "United States Census, 1820," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XHGQ-F6P : accessed 18 March 2015), Thomas Hanks, Springfield, Ross, Ohio; citing p. 274, NARA microfilm publication M33, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 92; FHL microfilm 181,398.
- ↑ "Ohio, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1997," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F68D-LTR : accessed 18 March 2015), Thomas Hanks, ; citing , reference ; FHL microfilm 182,735.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Thomas by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Alan Hanks : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 37 markers, haplogroup M269, Ysearch M3EG5, FTDNA kit #297434
- Anonymous Terrell : Family Tree DNA mtDNA Test Full Sequence, haplogroup X1c, FTDNA kit #431090
- Anonymous Missi : Family Tree DNA mtDNA Test Full Sequence, haplogroup X1c, FTDNA kit #425229
- Anonymous Spradley : Family Tree DNA mtDNA Test Full Sequence, haplogroup X1c, FTDNA kit #428385
- K Duhon : 23andMe, GEDMatch M185334 + AncestryDNA, GEDMatch M185334, Ancestry member kduhon20
- K Dupleix : 23andMe, GEDMatch M134959
- John-Christopher Ward : 23andMe
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Thomas is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 38 degrees from Anne Frank, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 24 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.