- Nicholas Harrington's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
"Nicholas Harington (or Haverington), Knt., Knight of the Shire for Lancashire, Sheriff of Lancashire, master forester of Quernmore, co. Lancaster, third son, born about 1344 (proved his age in 1365). He was heir in 1361 to his older brother, Thomas Haverington, by which he inherited the manors of Farleton (in Melling), Bolton-le-Moors, Heath Charnock, Aighton, etc., co. Lancaster and Farleton in Kendale, co. Westmorland. He married (lst) before September 1369, Isabel English, daughter and heiress of William English, Knt., of Appleby, Little Strickland, and Hasket, Westmorland, Knight of the Shire for Westmoreland, by Margaret, daughter of Richard le Brun. She was born about 1345. They had three sons, William, Knt., James, Knt., and Nicholas, and five daughters, Isabel (first), Margaret (wife of Richard Huddleston, Knt.), Agnes (wife of Richard Sherburne), Mary (wife of John Redman), and Isabel (second). Isabel was co-heiress c. 1369 to her uncle, Robert le Brun, by which she inherited the manor of Drumburgh (in Bowness), Bowness, Cardurnock, etc., and a one-third share in the manors of Bothel (in Torpenhow), Beaumont, and Brunskaith, co. Cumberland. In 1369 he went to Ireland in the retinue of William de Windsor, Knt., where he fought for the next two years. In 1373 he and William Curwen, knt. (husband of his wife's aunt, Ellen le Brun) caused major devastation on the estates at Beaumont, co. Cumberland of Ralph de Dacre, Lord Dacre. In 1375 he was implicated in the murder of Lord Dacre, for which action he was excommunicated by the Archbishop of York. He married (2nd) before August 1397 (date of fine) Joan (or Jennet) Venables, widow successively of Thomas de Lathom, Knt. (died 1382), of Lathom, Knowsley, and Huyton, co. Lancaster, and Roger Fazakerley, and daughter of Hugh Venables, of Kinderton, Cheshire. They had no issue. Sir Nicholas Harington died shortly before 8 February 1404." (Ref: 21 July 2010 posting of Douglas Richardson on soc.genealogy.medieval)
- Plantagenet Ancestry: A Study In Colonial And Medieval Families, 2nd Edition pg 265. http://books.google.com/books?id=kjme027UeagC&pg=RA1-PA10&lpg=RA1-PA10&dq=%22Plantagenet+ancestry%22+Isabel|Elizabeth+Harrington+Stanley&source=bl&ots=quJpHA1imi&sig=MN-L2bh0ZrxX3gah_XQhqRpkRrc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=k0saUuzdCcin2AXxtIDYBg&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22John%20Stanley%22%20Isabel|Elizabeth%20Harrington&f=false
This page has been edited according to Style Standards adopted January 2014. Descriptions of imported gedcoms for this profile are under the Changes tab.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Nicholas by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Gregory Harington - Family Tree DNA yDNA 67 markers
Family Tree DNA kit 229612
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Darlene Athey Hill, Katherine Patterson, Bob Fields, Kevin Gerald Ryan, and Crickett Lile. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.