- Mary (Harris) Redman's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person was created through the import of Shortened files.ged on 30 December 2010.
- Gene Redmond at Genforum: She was born a Harris but adopted her stepfather's surname of Allen.
- She married #2 Edward Franklin (20 Apr 1675), #3 William Moxley (1704).
- Other sources call her Mary Boddie, possibly a confusion with a source, John Bennett Boddie, Historical Southern Families.
- Ancestry.com: February 2, 1660, The deposition of Mary Redman aged 20 years or thereabouts that upon 17 November last past she asked of John Cox, the mate of George Watts, store of hogs George Watts had of his own to kill and he answered that he had none but what he killed out in the woods. In further discourse about a barrow that her husband had last, the said Cox swore that his mate George brought home the best barrow that he saw and that he saw him next morning for he was abed and asleep when he brought him in but when he saw him he had no mark for he had no ears. John Redman husband of Mary Redman testifies the same in ever particular [Westmoreland County, Virginia Records 1658-1661 extracted by Dorman].
- June 24, 1685, John Redman, deceased, father of John Redman and former husband of Mrs. Franklyn (wife of Edward Franklyn) [Virginia Will Records, Westmoreland County Wills -- Some 17th Century Items, Page 423]
- March 30, 1704, William Moxley is marrying Mary the relict of John Redman together with Mary by their petition settling forth that John Redman died seized of one messuage or parcel of land where the ferry on Nominy River in Copely Parish containing 100 acres and they have a just right of dower in the 100 acres whereof she hath nothing, the same being detained from them and now possessed by John Redman, son and heir of John Redman, and praying that the land might be divided, it is ordered that the sheriff do summon John Redman to show cause why the reasonable dower should not be laid out and assigned to William Moxley and Mary his wife. Also their arrears of rent [Westmoreland Co Virginia Order Book 1703-1705 p. 224].
- It is ordered that Wm. and Mary be repossessed of the part of lands and premises lying between Nominy river an a run on that side adjoining to or near the now dwelling house of Jno. Redman which Mary hath for near 25 years enjoyed and accepted as her right of dower of the land. And it is further ordered that John Redman do refund and pay onto Moxley and Mary his wife all sums of money, tobacco, or other consideration at any time received from an persons for rent for the said land or any part thereof [Westmoreland Co Virginia Order Book 1703-1705 p. 224].
- Undocumented sources, as far as I can see, say she was Mary Harris or Boddie.
- 1. Peter REDMAN
- 2. John REDMAN b: 1667 in Westmoreland County,VA
- 3. Solomon REDMAN
- 4. Robert REDMAN
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Mary's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Ted Williams, and John Redmond. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 31 May 2015 at 17:00 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
Mary is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 30 degrees from Michael Phelps, 27 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.