- William Harris's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Birth 25 FEB 1617/18 Essex, England, or Charles City Co VA. His parents were in Virginia at this time.
- Birth 12 Mar 1629 OS Curles Plantation, Henrico Co VA
- Death bef 1 FEB 1678 OS Richmond, Henrico Co VA
- He was killed in a battle with Indians near present-day Richmond.
- Note: Last Will and Testament; Speculations of others
- S/o Capt Thomas Harris and Joane (Osborne) Harris
- Children, with confusion who were children of first and second marriages.
- 1. Thomas Harris b: 1655
- 2. Elizabeth Ann Harris b: 24 JUL 1657
- 3. William Harris b: 1 DEC 1661 in Henrico Co, VA
- 4. Edward Harris b: 23 APR 1663
- 5. John Harris b: 8 AUG 1665
- 6. Rebecca Harris b: 5 MAY 1668
- 7. Lucie Marie Harris b: 30 SEP 1671
- 8. Alice Harris b: 27 NOV 1674
- Marriage No. 2 Alice (--?--) b: in Charles City Co, VA
- Married: ABT 1668
- The second wife Alice was married #2 to George Alvis
- Note that "Three William Harrises in Hanover County," Malcolm Hart Harris in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 22, p. 189, passim, states that from #2 or 3 these are children of Alice.[this note as found]
- WILLIAM HARRIS, son of CAPTAIN THOMAS HARRIS and ONLY BROTHER of THOMAS HARRIS JR. who died in 1679 was born in 1629. According to a deposition. He was a Justice of Henrico, member of the House of Burgesses,1652, 1653,1656, 1658. In December 1656 he was appointed major of the Henrico and Charles City regiment. He married Lucy, last name unknown, and made his will April 20, 1678, probated Feb. 1, 1678/9, as follows: "Not knowing what the Lord hath ordained or at what tyme he he may take (torn) out this life I doe settle my estate of lands as followeth, I give & bequeath to my sonne THOMAS all my land below the ward (ware?) to keep the ware/ward runn for his Bounds till it shall come to ye spring at ye hed & then to follow a bottom on ye lower side of the clearing of John Rabon, to the hundred roade path, and then on a straight roade or course to the land of Seth Potter Ashbrooke but in no case to crofse porketts/perketts' path;
- to my younger sonnes WM & EDWARD HARRIS I give ye rest of my dividents, WM. to have the plantason where I now live, & EDWARD ye land next Ashbrooke, But WM. to extend outwards one hundred yards beyond ye clearing of John Rabon on the path called perketts/porketts path, & THOMAS on a straight course to ye redd? watter? & EDWARD the house next to Potter Ashbrooke's line as alsoe to ye Ashen swamp to them & their Heires; neyther to sell unlefs the one to ye other & if eyther did (died) without I show (issue) the land to come to ye Survivor, my two younger sons to live with their mother till age of sixteen, if shee marry if not till 19 yeares of age; my will is that my wife live on the plantason during her life but not to hinder my sonne WM. at the head of ye3 ward if he come (rome?) for himselfe & I desyre my friends Mr. Tho. Cocke (?) & Mr. Wm. Randolph to see this my will performed. In Witnefsee of every (Looks like L) to hereof I putt to my hand this 20th day of April, 1678. Wits: Rich. Lygon, Ann Stewart (Bk. 1677-92, part 1, p. 68)"
- He made will out possibly on battlefield in area near present Richmond, VA in 1678 naming eldest son Thomas an heir & making provisions for two infant sons named William and Edward, both by second wife Alice.
This profile is a collaborative work-in-progress. Can you contribute information or sources?
- ↑ http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=64440653
- ↑ http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/r/o/b/Brenda-Robertsondennis-/GENE5-0001.html#ENDNOTEREF14
- Add sources here.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Ron Gragg, Katherine Patterson, Linda Plummer, Larry Ayers, and Lee Hall. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 12 Dec 2014 at 22:16 GMT Linda Plummer wrote:
On 25 Oct 2014 at 22:22 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On 31 Jul 2014 at 22:32 GMT Louise (Griffith) Sigle wrote:
William is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 16 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 29 degrees from Michael Phelps, 26 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.