Clair Harris Zarges: Albert was my paternal grandfather.
Albert is born Dec. 30, 1884 (3) in New York City, New York (4). His headstone gives his birthdate as 1885. (5)
Albert's parents were both born in New York City, according to the 1920 U.S. Census. (6)
Albert, his wife Eva, and son Dan [my father] are shown as residing in Boston, Massachusetts in the 1910 U.S. Census. Dan is 2 years old. (1)
The 1910 Census lists Albert as 24 years old, with an estimated birthdate of 1886. (6)
Also in the 1910 Census, the years for this marriage is listed as three, which gives us a starting point for finding a marriage record. (6)
Albert lived at 56 South Huntington Ave., Roxbury, Massachusetts when he signed his World War I draft registration card on Sept. 12, 1918. He gave his wife, Eva of the same address, as his closest relative. He was 34 years old, and working as a head waiter at the Brunswick Hotel, Boylston Street, Boston, Massachusetts. The physical description on the card describes him as short, stout, with gray eyes, and auburn hair. (3)
It looks like Albert might have gone to the draft registration board with his brother-in-law, "Jack" Hayes as both of them signed up on the same date, Sept. 12, 1918.
This was the third registration of the draft, held on September 12, 1918, for men age 18 through 45. (8)
Albert is not listed as a veteran. (6)
Albert, Eva, and Dan are shown as residing in Boston, Massachusetts in the 1920 U.S. Census. Dan is 12 years old. (2)
Also from the 1920 census: Albert is listed as 32 years old, which would make his estimated birthdate 1888, rather than 1884 (6), as was recorded on his World War I draft registration. (3) However, there seems to be some question as to what the census taker wrote down, as the transcriber has noted that Albert's age is "32 ." (6)
Around 1930, Albert and Eva, together with Eva's sister Nellie and brother-in-law Jack Hayes bought a piece of property labeled parcel 8-A, formerly the Nims Homestead, in the town of Antrim, New Hampshire. They fixed up the building and The Harris Tavern appears for the first time on the tax rolls for Antrim in 1931. The property was valued at $5000 and the property annual tax was $199.50. The Tavern was in existence for only a couple of years, then disappears from the town report property tax rolls. (10)
Albert died in May 6, 1939, in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts. (9, 11).
He was buried in plot #46 in the Pine Grove Cemetery, Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire, U.S. (5, 11)
1. "United States Census, 1910," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M22S-ZHH : accessed 30 Nov 2013), Daniel L Harris in household of Albert Harris, Boston Ward 19, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States; citing sheet , family 48, NARA microfilm publication T624, FHL microfilm 1374634
2. "United States Census, 1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MFMT-GRR : accessed 30 Nov 2013), Daniel L Harris in household of Albert Harris, Boston Ward 14, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States; citing sheet , family 162, NARA microfilm publication T625, FHL microfilm 1820736.
3. Birth date is from Albert's World War I Draft Registration Card: "United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZNR-933 : accessed 03 Dec 2013), Albert Harris, 1917-1918; citing Roxbury City no 14, Massachusetts, United States, NARA microfilm publication M1509, (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d); FHL microfilm 1685006.
4. Albert's birth place and year hasn't been confirmed. My mother told me he was supposedly born in New York City. I am looking for documentation.
5. Death date (year) is from Albert's headstone, Pine Grove Cemetery, Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire. Clair Zarges: Personal visits to the Pine Grove Cemetery, Fitzwilliam, New Hampshire in the 1990s.
6. Year: 1920; Census Place: Boston Ward 14, Suffolk, Massachusetts; Roll: T625_736; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 381; Image: 472. Ancestry.com. 1920 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
7. Year: 1910; Census Place: Boston Ward 19, Suffolk, Massachusetts; Roll: T624_621; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 1543; FHL microfilm: 1374634. Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.
8. "Selective Service Act of 1918," Wikipedia article. Accessed 4 Jan 2014 at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_Service_Act_of_1917.
9. Ancestry.com. Massachusetts, Death Index, 1901-1980 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: Department of Public Health, Registry of Vital Records and Statistics. Massachusetts Vital Records Index to Deaths [1916–1970].
10. Annual Reports of the Town Officers of Antrim, New Hampshire, 1930. https://archive.org/details/schoolfinancialr1930antr. Accessed 7 Mar 2014.
11. Death dates and burial information for both Albert and Edith comes from an email communication with the sexton of the cemetery, Art Libby, to me, Clair Harris Zarges, on 30 May 2014.
- ↑ Entered by Clair Zarges.
Thanks to Clair Zarges for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Clair and others.
On March 9, 2014 Clair Zarges wrote:
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- How can I find out more about my grandfather, Albert Harris, born 1884 (New York), died 1939 (Massachusetts)? May 24, 2014.
No known carriers of Albert's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Albert is 23 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 26 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 25 degrees from Mark Hamill, 27 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 26 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.