Categories: US President Direct Ancestor.
Ancestor of Abraham LIncoln
Isaiah was born about 1666. Isaiah Harrison ... He passed away in 1738. 
As a refugee from Dublin sailed from Chester or nearby Liverpool, Eng, on the ship "Spotted Calf" in 1687. Landing frist at Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY. As was the custom boys of genteel families and younger sons of noble families were trained to some trade, he was a blacksmith. His full signature appears on all deeds and papers at Oyster Bay, evidence that he had been taught to write in his youth.
A freeholder in Oyster Bay Town records Jan 2, 1687. Purchase of 100 acres at Suckscalls" Wigam from John Wright, his first wife's cousin, Jan 16, 1688 for sixty pounds current money of NY. The land was part of the general purchase from the Matenacocke Indians made Jan 9, 1685. Suckscall was an Indian Chief and his Wigwarm was located at what is now known as Brookville (Wolver Hollow), Long Island. Isaiah was the first white man to live on the site. Recorded in Book "B" of the Ancient Town Book of Oyster Bay Jan 2, 1687
Apr 20, 1702 sale of Oyster Bay land recorded , purchase of land at Smithtown from William Lawrence, 500 acres Suffolk Co, NY . Jun 12 1721 sold to Amos Willitts, and purchased 900 acres in Sussex Co, Delaware. "Maiden Plantation". Deeded to sons, Daniel, Thomas, & Jeremiah, 250 acres each.
Sold May 7, 1736. With the exception of Elizabeth & Gideon (who had died), He departed for Virginia with a party of sixteen. He arr. in what is now Alexandria, VA, crossed the Blue Ridge at Thornton's Gap and settled near Lewes, an early colonial port (oldest light house in America). For two years they surveyed the area and camped near Linville's Creek where Isaiah died in 1738. The Harrisons explored the region between the North River and the South Fork into high lands in the present vicinity of Harrisonburg, VA, in 1738.
Other early settlers included the Cravens, Smiths, Herrings, and Lincolns. Paraphased from House of Cravens.
Alexander Herring, Senior, and Isaiah Harrison passed away while residing in Delaware. Both died within the three year period beginning in 1735 and concluding in 1738. Shortly after their deaths, the migration of their children to Virginia began. Some of the Harrisons were settled in the vicinity of what is now Harrisonburg, Virginia in Rockingham County as early as 1738.
House of Cravens: 5 brothers from Delaware are John, Daniel, Thomas, Jeremiah and Samuel the first to locate in Rockingham Co, VA. Later Isaiah, Jr, and Mary, the eldest dau md to Robt Cravens, Sr came. All of Isaiah's living descendants settled here. Thomas named the present Harrisonburg town.
A tradition exsist in the descendant families to the effect that Pres. Wm Henry Harrison and his grandson, Pres. Benj Harrison were descendants of Isaiah Harrison. No reliable evidence confirming such tradition has been found. J. Houston Harrison had heard of the same tradition, and devoted considerable research in that connection, his findings failed to substantiate the tradition. Those Harrison families were descendants of Harrisons who settled early in Eastern Virginia, and were known as the James River branch of Harrisons. It is quite possible, however that there may have been some distant relationship between them and Rev. Thomas Harrison, the probable father of Isaiah Harrison.
- "The Tunis Hood Family: it's lineages and traditions," Tunis Hood Book, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~knorthup/Webpage/William/Dyer/HTM/TunisHoodBook.htm
- Photos: Signature of Isaiah Harrison on will dated 1721, signature of John Harrison on will dated 1769, and signature of Lucas Hood on will dated 1770. Excerpt from J. Houston Harrison book about the origin of the Harrison family in England and Scotland and before. Page 449
- Lineage of Katherine Bradshaw Harrison. Beginning of section on Isaiah Harrison (1666), son of Thomas & Katherine Bradshaw Harrison. Immigration to America by 1687, settled in marriage to first wife Elizabeth Wright in 1688. List of children of Isaiah & Elizabeth Wright. Lineage of Elizabeth Wright. Pages 452-453
Citing this Record
WikiTree contributors, "Isaiah Harrison (1666 - 1738)," WikiTree, http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Harrison-66 (accessed February 9, 2016).
WikiTree Primary Contributors:
- This person was created through the import of Lynch-Tree.ged on 06 August 2010.
- WikiTree profile Harrison-1492 created through the import of Dulaney, Kelley Family Tree.ged on Aug 1, 2011 by Christina Marshall. See the Changes page.
- WikiTree profile Harrison-1495 created through the import of Latest Roots Magic.ged on Aug 1, 2011 by Robert LaBonte. See the Changes page.
- WikiTree profile Harrison-1346 created through the import of wolfefamily.ged on Jun 26, 2011 by Herbert Wolfe. See the Changes page.
- WikiTree profile Harrison-4095 created by Catherine Evans on 21 Jul 2013.
See also the Changes page for the details of edits by others.
- Dellman O. Hood, "The Tunis Hood Family: it's lineages and traditions," Tunis Hood Book, (1960), http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~knorthup/Webpage/William/Dyer/HTM/TunisHoodBook.htm
- ↑ Entered by Catherine Evans, Sunday, July 21, 2013.
- ↑ Isaiah HARRISON http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~harrisonrep/Harrison/d0030/g0000083.html#I328?
•ID: I580468464 •Name: Isaiah HARRISON •Given Name: Isaiah •Surname: HARRISON •Sex: M •Birth: 25 Sep 1666 in Chester,Ceshire,England •Death: Abt 1738 in Shenandoah Valley,Virginia •Change Date: 14 Aug 2004
Ancestry Hints for Isaiah HARRISON
4 possible matches found on Ancestry.com
Mother: Catharine BRADSHAW
Marriage 1 Elizabeth WRIGHT •Married: Abt 1688 in Queens,Oyster Bay,Nassau County,New York •Note: _STATMARRIED Children 1. Isaiah HARRISON b: 27 Sep 1689 in Oyster Bay,Nassau County,New York 2. John HARRISON b: 25 Sep 1691 in Oyster Bay,Nassau County,New York 3. Gideon HARRISON b: 25 Jun 1694 in Oyster Bay,Nassau County,New York 4. Mary HARRISON b: 25 May 1696 in Oyster Bay,Nassau County,New York 5. Elizabeth HARRISON b: 30 Mar 1698 in Oyster Bay,Nassau County,New York
Marriage 2 Abigail SMITH b: Abt 1680 •Married: Abt 1700 •Note: _STATMARRIED Children 1. Daniel HARRISON b: Abt 1701 in Smithtown,Long Island,Suffolk County,New York 2. Thomas HARRISON b: Abt 1704 in Smithtown,Long Island,Suffolk County,New York 3. Jeremiah HARRISON b: Abt 1707 in Long Island,New York 4. Abigail HARRISON b: Abt 1710 in Smithtown,Long Island,Suffolk County,New York 5. Samuel HARRISON b: Abt 1712 in Smithtown,Long Island,Suffolk County,New York
Isaiah HARRISSON 25 Sep 1666 - 1738 Repository ID Number: I328
OCCUPATION: Founder Rockingham VA Line Of Harrisons
RESIDENCE: 1687-NY; 1702 Smithtown, NY; 1721 Sussex Co. Del; 1737 VA
BIRTH: 25 Sep 1666, Chester, England DEATH: 1738, Shenandoah Mts., VA RESOURCES: See: [S8] [S21] [S67] [S320] Father: Thomas HARRISON Mother: Katherine BRADSHAW
Family 1 : Elizabeth WRIGHT MARRIAGE: 1688, Queens, Oyster Bay, NY + Isaiah HARRISON Jr. + John HARRISON Sr. Gideon HARRISON + Mary HARRISON Elizabeth HARRISON
Family 2 : Abigail SMITH MARRIAGE: 1702, Smithtown, Long Island, NY [S320] + Daniel HARRISON Sr. + Thomas HARRISON + Jeremiah HARRISON + Abigail HARRISON Samuel HARRISON
Notes: Isaiah Harrison Wives, Children And Descendents NotesWives and Children of Isaiah Harrison
- Report Abuse
- Comment (Maximum of 5000 characters)
- http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/gen/chfmclc3.html#cx844 Children of Isaiah Harrison and Elizabeth Wright: 844-1 Isaiah Harrison born 27 Sep 1689 Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York 422 John Harrison 844-3 Gideon Harrison born 25 Jun 1694 Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York died 1729 844-4 Mary Harrison born 25 May 1696 Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York died 1781 married about 1721 Robert Cravens (1696 - May 1762) 844-5 Elizabeth Harrison born 30 Mar 1698 Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York Children of Isaiah Harrison and Abigail --- (Smith?): 844A-6 Daniel Harrison born 1701 died 10 Jul 1770 married first Margaret Cravens, second Sarah Stephenson 844A-7 Thomas Harrison born 1704 Smithtown, Long Island, New York died 1785 married first Jane de la Haye, second Sarah (Cravens?) 844A-8 Jeremiah Harrison born 1707 Smithtown, Long Island, New York died 1777 married Catherine --- 844A-9 Abigail Harrison born 1710 Smithtown, Long Island, New York died 1780 married Alexander Herring had a daughter, Bathsheba Herring who married Capt. Abraham Lincoln (1744 - 1785); these were grandparents of the President of the same name. 844A-10 Samuel Harrison born 1712 Smithtown, Long Island, New York died 1790 married Mary ---
- or Cancel
- Report Abuse
- Comment (Maximum of 5000 characters)
- http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~harrisonrep/hhdocs/82dechh.htm#isaiah The Descendants Of Isaiah Harrison (1666-1738)ISAIAH HARRISON, the immigrant ancestor, was the son of Rev. Thomas Harrison, native of Kingston-Upon-Hull, Yorkshire, England, who died an independent or Congregational minister of the gospel, in Dublin, Ireland, 1682, and his wife Katherine Bradshaw, daughter of Edward Bradshaw of London and Bromborough Hall, England. Isaiah is thought to have been born in or near, the city of Chester, England, as a refugee from Dublin, sailed from this old port, or nearby Liverpool, which at that time was rapidly supplanting Chester as a point of departure, due to the silting of the River Dee, on the ship known as the "Spotted Calf", in 1687, landing first, Oyster Bay, Long Island, New York. He died about 1728 in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. Isaiah Harrison came as a blacksmith to Oyster Bay, his name first appears in the town records when he was a freeholder, 2 January 1687. The following year, he purchased 100 acres of land at Suckscalls' Wigam from John Wright, his first wife's cousin, on 16 January 1668, for sixty pounds current money of New York. On this land he made his home. Since this land had been purchased from the Matenacocke Indians only three years previously, there is little doubt that Isaiah was the first white man to live on the site. His house is mentioned in a deed dated 10 November 1695, which records the purchase of an additional 81 acres of land holdings. Isaiah Harrison was married first, in 1688, about a year after his settlement at Oyster Bay, to Elizabeth Wright, daughter of Gideon and Elizabeth Townsend Wright. Elizabeth died about 1698, leaving him with 5 small children. In 1700 Isaiah married second, Abigail Smith, thought to be the daughter of Jonathan Smith and his wife, Sarah Brewster, who was the son of the immigrant Richard Smith. (Patentee of Smithtown, L. I., New York, early 1600's.) On April 20, 1702, Isaiah Harrison sold his entire possession of land at Oyster Bay and with his wife, Abigail moved the family to Smithtown. He purchased a tract of land for 400 pounds from William Lawrence, on April 20, 1702. The new home consisted of 500 acres of woodland on the west side of the Nissequoque River in the County of Suffolk, Long Island, New York. It was here that Isaiah and his wife, Abigail made their home and raised their children, along with his children by his first wife, Elizabeth. In 1708, he added another 200 acres. On June 12, 1721, Isaiah Harrison sold the 500 acre home place at Smithtown to Amos Willitts and moved with his family to Sussex county, Delaware, where he bought 900 acres of land, known as "Maiden Plantation". He sold the remaining 200 acres at Smithtown to Richard Willitts on April 28, 1722. Up until this time Abigail's name appeared on all deeds. Her name was missing from deeds after April 28, 1722; so it is thought that she died in 1722. In the Spring of 172=37, Isaiah, his five sons and daughters, except Elizabeth and Gideon (who had died) with their wives, husbands and children, left Delaware and set out for the Valley of Virginia. This party of 16 went by the way of what is now Alexandria, Virginia, crossing the Blue Ridge at Thornton's Gap. As their former home was only 8 miles from Lewes, they no doubt embarked from Lewes on a sailing vessel, going by water to the old town of Belhaven on the Potomac. After winding their way along the South Fork of the Shenandoah, indications are that the Harrisons -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HARRISON HERITAGE p. 343 December 1982 The Descendants Of Isaiah Harrison (1666-1738) - Cont. camped near Naked Creek and on Linville's Creek for about two years, while exploring and preparing to take up land. Sickness broke out among them and it was here that Isaiah Harrison died in 1738. He is said to be buried by the banks of the Shenandoah in the present "White House" neighborhood. His children and grandchildren explored their way southwesterly and settled in the present vicinity of Harrisonburg, Virginia. Each of the separate families patented land and built houses. The children of Isaiah Harrison were as follows: By his first wife, Elizabeth Wright: Isaiah Harrison, Jr. - b 27 Sept 1689, Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY. He did not go to Virginia with the family; was living in the southern part of West Jersey in 1737. In about 1750, he went to Craven County, South Carolina from Rockingham Co., VA. Nothing more is known of his family, when or where he died. John Harrison - b 25 Sept 1691, Oyster Bay, d May 1771 m Phoebe ??? ca 1720 (b 1686-d 6 Dec 1793). He went with family to Virginia in 1737. His will, dated 30 July 1769, proved 21 May 1771, recorded in Augusta Co., VA names all his children: (Zebulon, John, deceased, Phoebe, Ann and Reuben). Gideon Harrison - b 25 June 1694, Oyster Bay d 1729 Sussex Co., Delaware. He was married, her name is not known. Mary Harrison - b 25 May 1696 d 1781. m Robert Cravens ca 1721. Elizabeth Harrison - b 30 March 1689 probably died young. Elizabeth Wright Harrison died shortly after the birth of her youngest daughter, Elizabeth. Children of Isaiah Harrison by his second wife, Abigail Smith: Daniel Harrison - b 1701; d 10 July 1770, m (1) Margaret Cravens m (2) Sarah Stephenson. His will was recorded in Augusta Co., VA. Children by first wife, Margaret were: Robert, Daniel, Jesse, Mary, Jane, Abigail and Benjamin. There were no children by second wife. Thomas Harrison - b 1704 at Smithtown, L. I., d 1785, Harrisonburg, VA. He m (1) Jane DeLaHaye and (2) Sarah Cravens. Children (all by second wife): Abigail, Jeremiah, Davis, Robert, John, Thomas, Ezekiel, Reuben and Sarah. Jeremiah Harrison - b 1707 at Smithtown, L. I., d 1777 Rockingham Co., Virginia. He m Catherine ???; their children included: Lydia Donnell, Nehemiah, Josiah, Jeremiah, Hester and Benjamin. Little is known of this family. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- HARRISON HERITAGE p. 344 December 1982 The Descendants Of Isaiah Harrison (1666-1738) - Cont. Abigail Harrison - b 1710 Smithtown, L. I., d 1780 in VA. She married Alexander Herring, Jr. at Sussex Co., Delaware. She was the great-grandmother of Abraham Lincoln, the President. Samuel Harrison - b 1712, Smithtown, L. I., d 1790, Augusta Co., VA. He migrated with the family in 1739. His wife's name was Mary ???. They moved to Craven Co., South Carolina during the French and Indian War, but returned to Augusta and were residents there by 18 Nov 1762. It is not known if they left any children. All of Isaiah Harrison's children (except Elizabeth) settled in the region around what is now Harrisonburg, VA. The town being founded by son, Thomas Harrison. The five brothers who went with their father in 1739 have been identified as John, Daniel, Thomas, Jeremiah and Samuel.
- or Cancel
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Isaiah's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On August 6, 2013 at 15:07GMT C E wrote:
On August 6, 2013 at 14:08GMT C E wrote:
Isaiah is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 21 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 16 degrees from Mark Hamill, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.