- Jacques Hartell's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Schulze, Lorine McGinnis. The Van Slyke Family in America: A Genealogy of Cornelis Antonissen Van Slyke, 1604-1676 and his Mohawk wife Ots-Toch, including the story of Jacques Hertle, 1603-1651, Father of Ots-Toch and Interpreter to Samuel de Champlain. Port McNicoll, Ontario: Olive Tree Enterprises, 1996. See Chapters 3, 4, and 5.
Sivertsen, Barbara J. Turtles, Wolves, and Bears: A Mohawk Family History. Westminster, Maryland: Heritage Books, Inc., 2006, pages 3-7.
"Hilletie Van Slyck was the oldest daughter of Cornelius Antonisen (Theunise) van Slyck (or Schlick) and Otstock, a Mohawk." (page 3)
"Hilletie's mother, Otstock, has usually been described as a full-blooded Mohawk, "a right Mohawks squaw." Tradition describes Otstock as the daughter of a chief. Another tradition, however, says that she was born about 1620, the daughter of a Frenchman named Hertell or Hartell and the Mohawk Queen of the (Van Slyck's) Island. Hertell and the Queen of the Island had two daughters: Otstock, "a large coarse-looking squaw like [her] mother" who married Cornelius Antonisen van Slyck..." (page 3)
"This tradition does not give a first name to the Frenchman Hertell, but an Hertel does appear in the early records of New France. He is named Jacques, the name given to Otstock's oldest son." (page 3)
- This person was created through the import of Our Ryckman Roots.ged on 13 December 2010 by Kathryn Hogan.
- Thank-you Thomas MacEntee for the import of Austin_Alfred_2011-03-28.ged on 28 March 2011.
- Thank-you Richard Draper for the import of EED1.ged on 15 Sep 2011.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Jacques's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.