Clair Harris Zarges: Ellen was my great-grandmother. I have probate records showing that her maiden name was Healey. (2)
At the time of the 1900 Census, Ellen was living in a rented house in Worcester, Massachusetts with her husband of 15 years, Oscar, and their four children. (Ellen had given birth to 9 children by 1900; of those, only four were living). She had been born in England; her mother had been born in Ireland, and her father in England.(1) (4)
When Ellen married Oscar in 1887, her last name was Lynch, so there was a previous marriage. Oscar was 37 years old; Ellen was 26. (3)
Oscar died 22 Nov 1907, at 13 Bartlett St., Worcester, Massachusetts. The cause of death was given as endocarditis and nephritis, lasting the previous 6 months; the physician signing the certificate was Royal P. Watkins, of Worcester. Oscar was 55 years, 10 months, and 1 day old; his occupation was stable keeper. Both of his parents, Robert and Eleanor Rankins Ellis, were born in Smithfield, Maine, as was Oscar. Oscar was buried in Woonsocket, Rhode Island, on Nov. 25, 2007. Darius A. Putnam of Worcester was the undertaker. Information for the Return of a Death, Reg. 2511, was given by his widow, Mrs. Ellen Healey Ellis.
Ellen married George Farrington on 5 Aug 1909 at a Methodist Episcopal Church in Woonsocket, Rhode Island (although the record has been transcribed with the place as Worcester, Massachusetts), with W. M. Newton, presiding. George's age is given as 32, and Ellen's as 39.(6)[A year later in 1910, the census taker will write down their ages as Ellen, 39, and George 27]. (9)
At the time of the 1910 Census, Ellen, age 39, is listed as wife in the household of George Farrington (age 27), along with her sons Edward (age 19), Oscar (age 17), and daughter Nellie (age 11). They live in Worcester, Ward 7, Worcester County, Massachusetts. George works as a fitter in a loom works, Ellen is at home, Oscar is a self-employed driver of a grocery team, as is his brother, Edward; and Nellie is in school. Also noted in the census information: George and Ellen have been married for a year; Ellen was born in England, her father was born in Ireland [Free Ireland], her mother was born in England, and Ellen immigrated when approximately 29 years old. (9)
Also included in the 1910 Census information is the fact that although Ellen has given birth to 9 children, only 5 are living. With the three at home (Eddie, Oscar, and Nellie) and older Eva married and living elsewhere, who is the fifth child? Is this a census error?Harris-837 20:17, 29 December 2013 (EST)
1. "United States Census, 1900," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9B6-TT3 : accessed 04 Dec 2013), Ellen M Ellis in household of Oscar J Ellis, Precinct 4 Worcester city Ward 8, Worcester, Massachusetts, United States; citing sheet , family 175, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1240697.
2. Ellen's parents and siblings are listed in the probate papers for her brother, James Patrick Healey, who died in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, Sept. 8, 1956. Papers are in my possession Dec 2013. Clair Zarges.
3. Ancestry.com. Massachusetts, Marriage Records, 1840-1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: Massachusetts Vital Records, 1840–1911. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911–1915. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts.
4. Year: 1900; Census Place: Worcester Ward 8, Worcester, Massachusetts; Roll: 697; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 1782; FHL microfilm: 1240697. Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
5. Year: 1910; Census Place: Worcester Ward 7, Worcester, Massachusetts; Roll: T624_633; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 1896; FHL microfilm: 1374646. Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.
6. Ancestry.com. Massachusetts, Marriage Records, 1840-1915 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Original data: Massachusetts Vital Records, 1840–1911. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts. Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911–1915. New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Massachusetts.
- ↑ Entered by Clair Zarges.
Thanks to Clair Zarges for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Clair and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Ellen's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.