- James Higgins's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This biography is a rough draft. It was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import and needs to be edited.
- Date: 31 MAR 1832
- Place: Polmont, Stirlingshire
- Note: #NI069
- WikiTree profile Higgins-1397 created through the import of Higgins Wi 2.GED on Oct 9, 2012 by Bill Higgins. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Bill and others.
- Note NI069Christening IGI Individual Record
- James Higgins Male
- Christ: 31 MAR 1832 Polmont, Stirlingshire, Scotland
- Father: John Higgins
- Mother: Margaret Bell
- Extracted birth record
- Source Information
- Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.:
- C114874 1820 - 1854 1041955
- "On the fifth day of June, 1855 according to the form of the presbyterian Church."
- James HIGGINS presently of Grangemouth, Falkirk and usually of that address,
- aged 23 an Engineer in a Steamship and bachelor
- Janet JOHNSTON presently of Canonbank, Larbert, usually of that same address
- aged 24, a Dressmaker, also a Spinster. "Cousins German".
- James was born and registered in the Parish of Polmont on March 23, 1832
- to John HIGGINS, Farmer, deceased and Margaret BELL.
- Janet was born and registered in Falkirk on July 1, 1830 to
- George JOHNSTON, Gardner, and Isabella HIGGINS.
- William WELSH signed as minister of the West U. P. Church in Falkirk.
- Witnesses were John WALKER and George JOHNSTON.
- Registered at Falkirk, June 7 to W. S. Kemp, Registrar.
- 1881 Census Dwelling: Park Road Census Place: Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland
- Source: FHL Film 0203693 GRO Ref Volume 647 EnumDist 13 Page 24
- James HIGGINS M 49 M Polmont, Stirling, Scotland
- Rel: Head Occ: Superintending Engineer
- Janet HIGGINS M 50 F Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland
- Rel: Wife
- James HIGGINS 15 M Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland
- Rel: Son Occ: Scholar
- Janet HIGGINS 12 F Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland
- Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar
- Margaret DOYLE 17 F Shotts, Lanark, Scotland
- Rel: Servant Occ: Domestic Servant
- 1891 Cesus Belleview,Clydesdale Street, Hamilton, Lanark
- 647 ED 001 Page 1 8 Room House
- James Higgins M 60 M Polmont, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Head Occ: Superintendent Engineer, Retired
- Janet Higgins M 60 F Falkirk, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Wife
- Janet Higgins U 22 F Falkirk, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Daur
- 1901 Census Carron Bank, Brownside Road, Cambuslang, Lanark
- 627 ED 003 Page 29 8 Room House
- James Higgins M 69 M Polmont, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Head Occ: Retired Steamship Engineer
- Janet Higgins M 70 F Falkirk, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Wife
- CAMBUSLANG 1882:- town & parish in north of Lanarkshire.
- The town stands about one-half mile from the River Clyde, 4 miles south-east of Glasgow; consists of eight sections, or villages, on the banks of a picturesque burn; is near a natural amphitheatre, used in 1742 as a place of worship, and then the scene of a religious revival known as "the Cambuslang wark;" and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments under Glasgow.
- A railway station, Established, Free, United Presbyterian, and Congregational churches; and 2 public schools with about 304 scholars. Population: 5538.
- Death Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire entry 25
- James Higgins, ship owner (retired), widower of Jessie Johnstone
- 1920 June 13, 2h 55m PM, aged 88
- Ashfield, Kilmacolm
- Father: John Higgins, farm grieve, deceased
- Mother: Margaret M/S Bell, deceased
- Cause: urinary calculii and enlargement of prostate gland, 20 years, gradual exhaustion, 1 month,
- as certified by Peter I Laird MB CM
- Infotmant: Jane Ferguson, housekeeper, present
- National Archives Will for the above James Higgins.
- At Edinburgh, the twenty fifth day of June One thousand nine hundred and twenty the Deed hereinafter
- Engrossed was presented for registration in the books of the Lords of Council and Session for
- preservation and is registered in the said Books as follows.
- I JAMES HIGGINS, residing at Ashfield, Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire, hereby direct that in the event of my
- death I desire to be buried beside my wife in the Cemetery at Hamilton.
- The Executor's Thomas Campbell, Physician, William Archibald, Bank Agent, John Thomson Higgins,
- Engineer and James Guthrie, Law Student, conformed to Trust Disposition & Settlement dated
- 27th August 1909 with relative Codicils dated 27th August 1909, 17th June 1910, 19th February 1913,
- 22nd June 1915, 4th October 1916 & 10th September 1919.
- The beneficiaries
- Mrs Jessie Higgins or Rodger, daughter
- George Walker, child of sister in law Marion Johnston
- Henry Walker, child of sister in law Marion Johnston
- John Walker, child of sister in law Marion Johnston
- John Thomson Higgins, cousin, 100 Bothwell St. Glasgow
- Margaret Bell Janet Maria Higgins, daughter of brother William Higgins
- John Higgins, son of brother William Higgins
- Mrs Jane Ferguson, housekeeper
- Miss Alexia Flemming, sister of Mrs Jane Ferguson
- John George Stevenson
- Fourteen Charitable Institutions
- All Executors as of last Codicil
- He left an Estate totaling £36,163
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
James is 26 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 30 degrees from Michael Phelps, 31 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 25 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.