This biography is a rough draft. It was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import and needs to be edited.
- Date: 31 MAR 1832
- Place: Polmont, Stirlingshire
- Note: #NI069
- WikiTree profile Higgins-1397 created through the import of Higgins Wi 2.GED on Oct 9, 2012 by Bill Higgins. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Bill and others.
- Note NI069Christening IGI Individual Record
- James Higgins Male
- Christ: 31 MAR 1832 Polmont, Stirlingshire, Scotland
- Father: John Higgins
- Mother: Margaret Bell
- Extracted birth record
- Source Information
- Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.:
- C114874 1820 - 1854 1041955
- "On the fifth day of June, 1855 according to the form of the presbyterian Church."
- James HIGGINS presently of Grangemouth, Falkirk and usually of that address,
- aged 23 an Engineer in a Steamship and bachelor
- Janet JOHNSTON presently of Canonbank, Larbert, usually of that same address
- aged 24, a Dressmaker, also a Spinster. "Cousins German".
- James was born and registered in the Parish of Polmont on March 23, 1832
- to John HIGGINS, Farmer, deceased and Margaret BELL.
- Janet was born and registered in Falkirk on July 1, 1830 to
- George JOHNSTON, Gardner, and Isabella HIGGINS.
- William WELSH signed as minister of the West U. P. Church in Falkirk.
- Witnesses were John WALKER and George JOHNSTON.
- Registered at Falkirk, June 7 to W. S. Kemp, Registrar.
- 1881 Census Dwelling: Park Road Census Place: Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland
- Source: FHL Film 0203693 GRO Ref Volume 647 EnumDist 13 Page 24
- James HIGGINS M 49 M Polmont, Stirling, Scotland
- Rel: Head Occ: Superintending Engineer
- Janet HIGGINS M 50 F Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland
- Rel: Wife
- James HIGGINS 15 M Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland
- Rel: Son Occ: Scholar
- Janet HIGGINS 12 F Falkirk, Stirling, Scotland
- Rel: Daur Occ: Scholar
- Margaret DOYLE 17 F Shotts, Lanark, Scotland
- Rel: Servant Occ: Domestic Servant
- 1891 Cesus Belleview,Clydesdale Street, Hamilton, Lanark
- 647 ED 001 Page 1 8 Room House
- James Higgins M 60 M Polmont, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Head Occ: Superintendent Engineer, Retired
- Janet Higgins M 60 F Falkirk, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Wife
- Janet Higgins U 22 F Falkirk, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Daur
- 1901 Census Carron Bank, Brownside Road, Cambuslang, Lanark
- 627 ED 003 Page 29 8 Room House
- James Higgins M 69 M Polmont, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Head Occ: Retired Steamship Engineer
- Janet Higgins M 70 F Falkirk, Stirlingshire
- Rel: Wife
- CAMBUSLANG 1882:- town & parish in north of Lanarkshire.
- The town stands about one-half mile from the River Clyde, 4 miles south-east of Glasgow; consists of eight sections, or villages, on the banks of a picturesque burn; is near a natural amphitheatre, used in 1742 as a place of worship, and then the scene of a religious revival known as "the Cambuslang wark;" and has a post office, with money order and telegraph departments under Glasgow.
- A railway station, Established, Free, United Presbyterian, and Congregational churches; and 2 public schools with about 304 scholars. Population: 5538.
- Death Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire entry 25
- James Higgins, ship owner (retired), widower of Jessie Johnstone
- 1920 June 13, 2h 55m PM, aged 88
- Ashfield, Kilmacolm
- Father: John Higgins, farm grieve, deceased
- Mother: Margaret M/S Bell, deceased
- Cause: urinary calculii and enlargement of prostate gland, 20 years, gradual exhaustion, 1 month,
- as certified by Peter I Laird MB CM
- Infotmant: Jane Ferguson, housekeeper, present
- National Archives Will for the above James Higgins.
- At Edinburgh, the twenty fifth day of June One thousand nine hundred and twenty the Deed hereinafter
- Engrossed was presented for registration in the books of the Lords of Council and Session for
- preservation and is registered in the said Books as follows.
- I JAMES HIGGINS, residing at Ashfield, Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire, hereby direct that in the event of my
- death I desire to be buried beside my wife in the Cemetery at Hamilton.
- The Executor's Thomas Campbell, Physician, William Archibald, Bank Agent, John Thomson Higgins,
- Engineer and James Guthrie, Law Student, conformed to Trust Disposition & Settlement dated
- 27th August 1909 with relative Codicils dated 27th August 1909, 17th June 1910, 19th February 1913,
- 22nd June 1915, 4th October 1916 & 10th September 1919.
- The beneficiaries
- Mrs Jessie Higgins or Rodger, daughter
- George Walker, child of sister in law Marion Johnston
- Henry Walker, child of sister in law Marion Johnston
- John Walker, child of sister in law Marion Johnston
- John Thomson Higgins, cousin, 100 Bothwell St. Glasgow
- Margaret Bell Janet Maria Higgins, daughter of brother William Higgins
- John Higgins, son of brother William Higgins
- Mrs Jane Ferguson, housekeeper
- Miss Alexia Flemming, sister of Mrs Jane Ferguson
- John George Stevenson
- Fourteen Charitable Institutions
- All Executors as of last Codicil
- He left an Estate totaling £36,163
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages:
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.