"On Monday the 12th Instant died at Newbury, and this Day was decently interred here, Stephen Higginson, Esq; of this Town. He was in Commission for the Peace, and a Justice of the Court of Pleas for this County, and a Member of the Honorable House of Representatives. A Gentleman of a truly amiable Character, both in public and private Life; as he was a tender and instructive Father, a kind and loving Husband, a sincere and steady Friend, an accurate Merchant; an retained an unblemished Character, thro' the whole of his Trade and Business, which was extensive. A Person of strict Virtue and Religion, but free from shew and ostentation, which he always abhorred. As few Persons exceeded him in useful Knowledge and Capacity to serve the Public, so he was second to no Man in the Uprightness of his Intentions, the Sincerity of his Declarations and Integrity of his Actions. These Virtues being very conspicuous in him, rendered him a Gentleman of a rising Character, and his Death may be justly esteemed, not only a private but a public Loss." from the Boston New Letter, Salem, October 15th, 1761.
- Stephen Higginson
- 31 JUL 1716 Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
- Higginson, Thomas Wentworth. Descendants of the Reverend Francis Higginson (Privately Printed, 1910) Page 13
- Higginson, Thomas Wentworth. Life and Times of Stephen Higginson: Member of the Continental Congress (1783) and Author of the "Laco" Letters, Relating to John Hancock (1789); Houghton, Mifflin, 1907; pages 17-18; http://books.google.com/books?id=o5scAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA17#v=onepage&q&f=false</ref>
- WikiTree profile Higginson-299 through the import of John Higginson.ged on Oct 3, 2013.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Stephen's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages:
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.