- William Hollister's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
From Hollister Family of America: "William Welles, son of John Hollister and Philena Hubbard, was born near Hanover, Licking Co., Ohio, Jan. 12, 1818. He was brought up on the farm until 15 years of age, when he went to Kenyon College, where he remained four or five years, his health not permitting him to take a regular course. His father dying in 1839, and his eyes failing, he left college without graduating and went to farming and merchandising until 1852, when he sold his farm and stock of goods and bought two or three hundred head of cattle and started across the plains for California, where he sold his cattle and returned immediately to Ohio. The next year, he with his brother, Joseph, and his sister, Mrs. L. A. Brown, bought eight or nine thousand sheep and about two hundred head of cattle and started across the plains about the first day of May, with eleven wagons and ten or twelve horses. There were fifty men in the train and four ladies with Mrs. Brown. They were fifteen months on the way, turning south at Salt Lake, they went down through New Mexico and Arizona and the southern part of California, and then up the coast to Monterey, where he bought his first ranch, San Justo. In 1869 he sold that and bought 3000 acres of the Dos Pueblos ranch in Santa Barbara County, where he now lives, his postoffice address being Santa Barbara. The town of Hollister in Monterey County was named after him.
Mr. Hollister has never held any offices, having been too busy to care for them. He has long been known as the largest wool-grower in the State and is also largely interested in fruit-raising, having more than twenty thousand fruit trees of every variety adapted to the climate of California. He has also gained considerable celebrity for his letters on cheap labor.
He married Annie, daughter of S. L. James of San Francisco, in June, 1862."
This person was created through the import of Jim Walker gedcom 4 Wikitree may 22 2011.ged on 24 May 2011. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
From FindAGrave "Hollister is a direct descendant of Governor Thomas Welles, the Fourth Colonial Governor of Connecticut, and a descendant of Edmund Rice, an early immigrant to Massachusetts Bay Colony. Hollister married Annie Hannah James on June 18, 1862, in San Francisco, California. Hollister raised sheep and during the Civil War he became a millionaire due to the high price of wool. He purchased large amounts of land in Santa Barbara County. He also formed the world's largest almond groves called Glen Annie Ranch. Part of his wealth was to help back the construction of Lobero's Theatre and Stearn's Wharf. He also bought the 'Morning Press' newspaper. Hollister Avenue in Goleta, California is named for him. Inductee in the 'Hall Fame of Great Westerners', of The National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. This museum opened in 1955 and Mr. Hollister was inducted in 1959. The city of Hollister, California is named for him. "
- Date: 12 JAN 1818
- Place: Hanover Licking Ohio
- Source: #S235
- Place: Dos Pueblos Ranch Santa Barbara California
- User ID: DC4910FB692D4C0ABD1463FACB20083A7751
- Data Changed:
- Date: 16 DEC 2009
Prior to import, this record was last changed 16 DEC 2009.
- Husband: William Welles Hollister
- Wife: Hannah Anne James
- Date: 1862
- Place: San Francisco California, USA
- Source: #S235
- User ID: 9385C1D37E434723AD29D55892422E2804D9
- Child: Harrald Albert Hollister
- Child: Jennie B Holister
- Child: William Welles Holister
- Child: John James Holister
- Child: Lionel E Holister
- Child: Stanley Holister
- Source S235
- Type: E-Mail Message
- Title: Robert Henderson Eskew-> Gainesville, Florida- -email@example.com-
- Date: 2-25-2008
- Source Locality: http://www.gencircles.com/users/ayscoughe/5/data/441
- No. 1778, pg 247 and 473-474 - Hollister Family of America compiled by Lafayette Wallace Case, MD 1886 - https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=5eNUAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA1
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On December 29, 2015 at 23:39GMT Whitney Rapp wrote:
No. 1778, pg 246 - Hollister Family of America compiled by Lafayette Wallace Case, MD 1886 - https://play.google.com/books/reader?id=5eNUAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&output=reader&hl=en&pg=GBS.PA1
William is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 24 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 22 degrees from Mark Hamill, 23 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.