- Samuel Howard Sr's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
The folllowing article is from the KY EXPLORER (genealogy magazine) writt en by Mrs. Naomi Howard Spillman, 12446 Grindley Dr. Sterling Height s, MI 48312
Samuel Howard Sr. was born in 1762 in Buckingham Co.VA. He was enlist ed in 1778 in Capt. Mayo Carrington's company. He marched from Woodson's F erry on the James River in Buckingham Co. VA where he joined the army und er General George Washington in 1778 He was at Yorktown standing just a f ew feet away when Cornwallis surrendered to Washington. Washington took Co rnwallis' sword, looked at it closely and gave it back to Cornwallis sayi ng "It's a very fine blade". (This tidbit of history has been passed do wn through the Howard family) Samuel moved to KY in 1796, four years after KY was changed from a coun ty of VA into the state of KY. He was the first white settler to come to Harlan Co.,KY where he was acti ve in many community affairs. He applied for his Revolutionary pensi on in Harlan Co.,KY in 1834 at the age of 72. He died 12-5-1840. and was buried at the Highbanks Cemetery on the Hensley farm near Cumberla nd, KY.( It is interesting to note here that Samuel Howard killed John Hen sley and tried and set free!) Due to the building of Highway #119 in the 1 970's Samuel, Chloe(his wife) and their infant child were moved to the W ix Howard cemetery at Loyall, KY where they are presently interred. Samu el and Chloe leave a long line of descendents all over the US and Canad a. The Harlan Co.Ky Court House has a plague placed on the square in fro nt of it by the Mountain Trail Chapter of the DAR which says"To the memor y, of the Soldiers and Patriots of the American Revolution." The followi ng men are listed on the plaque: CARL BAILEY JR., JAMES HALL, JESSE BROCK, SAMUEL HOWARD, BARRY CAWOOD, STE PHEN JONES, LEWIS GREEN, EPHRAIM OSBOURNE, HENRY SHACKLEFORD, HENRY SMITH.
- WikiTree profile Howard-2022 created through the import of The Sammons Family Tree.ged on Jun 9, 2011 by Steve Sammons. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Steve and others.
- Source: S1372186263 Repository: #R2852704208 Title: Bertie County, North Carolina Vital Statistics, 1700s-1920 Author: Herrin, Cynthia, comp. Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001.Original data - Sentinel Publications. Bertie Beginnings: The Story of Our County and Its Distinguished Citizens. Kinston, NC, USA: Sentinel Publications, 1921.Original data: Sentinel Note:
- Repository: R2852704208 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com Note:
- Source: S2852711167 Repository: #R2852704208 Title: Public Member Trees Author: Ancestry.com Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2006.Original data - Family trees submitted by Ancestry members.Original data: Family trees submitted by Ancestry members. Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. Note: The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created. Page: Ancestry Family Trees Note: Data: Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=5111977&pid=7238
- Source: S3982796659 Repository: #R2852704208 Title: Family Data Collection - Marriages Author: Edmund West, comp. Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001. Note:
This biography was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import. It's a rough draft and needs to be edited.
- Samuel /Howard/
- Name: Samuel
- ID: D0984515AD2E42C78139D066AAEAB00BE5AE
- 26 OCT 2012
Prior to import, this record was last changed 26 OCT 2012.
- Source: S1 Abbreviation: GEDCOM file imported on 26 October 2012 Title: GEDCOM file, Ancestry.com. Imported on 26 October 2012. Subsequent Source Citation Format: GEDCOM file, Ancestry.com. Imported on 26 October 2012. BIBL GEDCOM file. TMPLT TID 0 FIELD Name: Footnote VALUE GEDCOM file, Ancestry.com. Imported on 26 October 2012. FIELD Name: ShortFootnote VALUE GEDCOM file, Ancestry.com. Imported on 26 October 2012. FIELD Name: Bibliography VALUE GEDCOM file.
Thank you to Beth Blankenship for creating WikiTree profile Howard-5061 through the import of Blankenship-Rapoport Family Tr.LST.ged on May 11, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Beth and others.
Thanks to Anne Baker for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Anne and others.
Samuel was born about 1725. Samuel Howard ... 
This profile is a collaborative work-in-progress. Can you contribute information or sources?
- ↑ Source: #S1 TMPLT
- ↑ Entered by Anne Baker.
- ↑ First-hand information as remembered by Larry Arrowood, Saturday, October 18, 2014. Replace this citation if there is another source.
- Add sources here.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Samuel by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share significant DNA with Samuel:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Anne Baker, Randolph Howard, Larry Arrowood, and Beth Blankenship. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On June 21, 2015 at 05:30GMT John Epperson wrote:
On May 6, 2015 at 20:17GMT Tom Greene wrote:
On April 27, 2015 at 15:59GMT Beth Blankenship wrote:
On April 2, 2015 at 19:06GMT Sue Howard wrote:
On March 20, 2014 at 16:08GMT Sir William Arbuthnot wrote: