- John Huntley's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Parents of John
The two well documented studies for John both conclude that "the ancestry of John Huntley, who was in Boston as early as 1640 and settled in Lyme, Connecticut about 1660 is still in question." Virgil Huntley had the same conclusion and confirmed it when I, Phil Smith, spoke to him in 2013.
John Huntley was born 1622-1626 at British Isles. He came to Boston, Massachusetts Bay Colony prior to July 1647 as he was in the business of shipping fish to the Barbadoes. His first wife, name perhaps Sarah, died in Boston of smallpox about 1650. He was at Salem, Massachusetts about 1650 as Richard Smith, in Ipswich Quarterly, Court Records, made a deposition stating "Jno Huntley being at the Iron Works." In 1659, he was listed as a cooper, when he signed a deed to Philip Curtis at Roxbury, Massachusetts.
He married Jane (maiden name unknown) about 1651. She died prior to 1669, in Lyme Connecticut. 
He married third in New London, Connecticut on 3 June 1669, Mary (Hand) Barnes, divorced wife of Charles Barnes and daughter of John and Alice (Gransden) Hand of Long Island. John and Mary were convicted of fornication before marriage and while she was still married to her former husband and were assessed a fine of £10. It would seem that the case was handled after their marriage when it was obvious that Mary was expecting their child Sarah born in late 1669 or early 1670.
Mary presumably died in Lyme prior to 5 July 1687. 
The only mention of John in public life was his participation in the New London-Lyme riot, when he and many of his neighbors protested the boundary line between Lyme and New London on 12 March 1671/2.
John died on 16 Nov. 1676 at Lyme, Connecticut.
John and his first wife had no known children.
Children of John and Jane
- Aaron, born in Boston on 15 April 1654.
- Elizabeth, baptized in Roxbury, Massachusetts, on 27 October 1657; married John Lewis.
- Mary, baptized at Roxbury, Massachusetts, on 3 December 1660; married John Smith, son of Richard and Joanna (Quarles) Smith.
Children of John and Mary
Note on Sources
The material in both Virgil Huntley's work and the work of Judith McGhan is almost the same. McGhan's work is available on-line.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Judith McGhan. John Huntley and Some of His Descendants in Genealogies of Connecticut Families: From the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Volume 1 Genealogical Publishing Com, 1983 - Connecticut -p. 223 and following. (Google eBook)
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Virgil W. Huntley. John Huntley, Immigrant of Boston & Roxbury, Massachusetts and Lyme, Connecticut 1647-1977 and some of his Descendants. Author: Books I, II, III. 1978, 1993, 1996. Vol 1. p. 6,7. Material from the books used with written permission of the author. Collection of Phil Smith.
- ↑ Virgil Huntley qualified his statement about this marriage with the word "perhaps" (Huntley, Vol. 1, page 7).
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Rick Huntley, Steve Moray, and Julie Bell. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 14 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 37 degrees from Anne Frank, 17 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 27 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.