This page has been accessed 1,179 times.
Categories: WikiTree Supervisors | Profile Improvement Project.
Born in Tennessee. Engineering School at Georgia Tech. Lived in Tennessee, Georgia, Massachusetts, North Carolina, and California. From all my travels I have learned there is no place like home; and no better way to spend time than with family.
Actively leading an engineering team in San Jose, California. My team does stuff much more complex than I understand, so I would be embarrassed trying to design the products myself that my team is responsible for... We build the products that keep the time for the world: >90% of the time computed at the Bureau International des Poids et Mesures is taken from our clocks. Accurate to 1 second every many millions of years.
Some practical examples of what atomic clocks (and associated stuff around them) are used for: If you use a computer that has it's time set through the internet (my Apple Macintosh does), if you use a cell phone that has the time of day on it, or if you use GPS for any reason: you're using products that my team develops. We really do have "rocket scientists" in the team (all the GPS satellites have our clocks in orbit). Pretty heady stuff: my wife teases me that finally the folks I work with are smarter than I am (and she's right: there are some smart cookies in the labs at work).
Recently restored a historic home: built by Paul Shoup. Decided it was too much work to maintain (after completing the task of restoration) : so moved to a simpler house to live in and enjoy.
Married, Four Kids, One Rabbit, and One Dog (Mastiff). Busy but fun life.
When there is some free time my hobbies include researching family history, cooking, and photography.
Special Genealogy Projects
- Scanned, then cleaned up a >800 page microfiche scan of the Lampton Book that has descendents from Cullen Conerly. If this can help in your research, please ask for a link to this book (I don't have general publishing rights: author has died and copyrights hold for ~72 years post mortem).
- Working with my wife on translating a book from Spanish to English that documents Volga Germans in Argentina. Her Mom is descended from a town founded in Argentina by Volga Germans.
Some interesting relatives
- Rear Admiral Cornelius Stribling: The "Stribling Walk" at the US Naval Academy is named for him (the central brick walkway of the Naval Academy). According to USNA legend: the central walkway has 11880 bricks in it to honor his date of death in January 1880. Two ships have been named USS Stribling in his honor. A 1st cousin, 6x removed.
Other possible relatives
- James Madison: Confirming the relationship to our fourth President of the United States. A potential 2nd cousin, 7x removed. Research Notes.
- Millard Fillmore: 13th President of the United States (POTUS). Made president after the sudden death of President Taylor, Vice-President Millard Fillmore made his mark on the country by signing the Compromise of 1850 in an effort to avoid Civil War. A potential 7th cousin, 5x removed.
- Eleanor Rosalynn Smith: Wife of President James Carter. First Lady of the United States (FLOTUS). Rosalynn Smith Carter was named "The Steel Magnolia" by the White House press corp. for her Southern sweetness and tenacity. A potential 8th Cousin.
- Judge Richard Henderson was an American pioneer and merchant who attempted to create a colony called Transylvania just as the American Revolutionary War was starting that included much of Kentucky and some of Tennessee. Hired Daniel Boone to establish the Wilderness Road through the territory. My 6th great grand uncle.
Really speculative relative
It has been believed by some in my Mom's family that they are descended from King George III of England. He had married his first wife Hannah Lightfoot, and had an alleged son known in history as Buxton Lawn. Probably will never be conclusively proven, as this would disrupt the current royal line of succession for England. Crazy King George may be my 6th great grandfather.
The reason I think it may indeed be true: the King's craziness may be linked to a rare blood disease that runs in my Mom's family: so their is some credibility to this story.
Some novels about relatives
- Little House on the Prairie by Laura Elizabeth Ingalls (9th cousin, 3x removed). Little House on the Prairie, published in 1935, is the third of the series of books known as the Little House series, but only the second book to focus on the life of the Ingalls family. The book takes place from 1869–1870. The book tells about the months the Ingalls family spent on the prairie of Kansas, around the town of Independence, Kansas.
- Colonial Spy by Mickey Beckham has John "Jack" Beckham as the protaganist of the book. This excellent and well written Revolutionary War novel, compared by one university professor to Cold Mountain and The Civil War for its quality and detail, is an engrossing story of a frontier settler, farmer and horse trainer turned scout and spy for the Americans. John "Jack" Beckham is a 6th Great Grandfather.
- Orphan's Gift by M.M. Knowles is about Jonathan Prather's Dad Thomas Prater: Who knew a meager journey begun in 1622 by a young English gentleman in search of lands and fortune would end in humility and thankfulness? This journey of lifetimes is filled with adventure, intrigue, love and hate. The gentleman was Thomas Prater, young and without property. Thomas Prater is a 9th Great Grandfather.
- A Girl from Texas by S.E. Wolf is the riveting story of a small town Texas girl (Ruth Conerly). She comes from poverty to become one of America's most successful commercial artists. Illustrated with a treasure house of Conerly art: high fashion, magical Christmas illustrations, WWII battle scenes, the iconic Death of Alamo Commander William B. Travis, it traces epic moments of history, interwoven with Conerly's tormentous love life and struggle up to the top echelons of commercial art. Ruth Conerly is a 2nd cousin, 2x removed.
Relatives with DAR Patriot numbers
- Frederick Barfield. Patriot A005997. Soldier. 4th Great Grandfather.
- Jesse Barfield. Patriot A006000. Patriotic Service. Rec'd cert for services rendered. 5th Great Grandfather.
- Thomas Cary. Patriot A020269. Patriotic Service. Furnished Supplies. 7th Great Grandfather.
- Cullen Conerly. Patriot A025045. Private. 5th Great Grandfather. Confirmed with children's Children of the American Revolution application.
- John Davis. Patriot A030436. Patriotic Service. Services Rendered. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Nehemiah Franks. Patriot A041867. Civil Service, Patriotic Service. Petit Juror, Furnished Supplies. 6th Great Grandfather.
- James Gaines. Patriot A043058. Patriotic Service. Furnished Supplies. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Thomas Gibson. Patriot A044891. Patriotic Service, Lieutenant. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Jesse Greer. Patriot A0480047. Soldier, Militia. 5th Great Grandfather.
- John Greer. Patriot A207815. Civil Service, Patriotic Service. Justice of Peace, Oath of Allegiance. 6th Great Grandfather.
- William Ham. Patriot A131637. Patriotic Service. Received money for corn & sundries. 7th Great Grandfather.
- Jacob Hampton. Patriot A205874. Civil Service, Patriotic Service. Juror, Furnished Supplies. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Anthony Hancock. Patriot A050828. Civil Service. Patriotic Service. Surveyor. Provisions. 5th Great Grandfather.
- Stephen Herring. Patriot A054421. Patriotic Service. Furnished Supplies. 7th Great Grandfather.
- John Hinnant. Patriot A133686. Civil Service. Justice of the Peace. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Thomas Joplin. Patriot A062832. Patriotic Service. Furnished Supplies. 6th Great Grandfather.
- John Long. Patriot A071277. Private. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Peter Lyon. Patriot A072809. Private, Patriotic Service. 5th Great Grandfather.
- Jacob Magee. Patriot A073078. Patriotic Service. Furnished Supplies. 5th Great Grandfather.
- John Magee. Patriot A073084. Patriotic Service. Provided Material Aid. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Daniel Nantz. Patriot A081454. Private. 6th Great Grandfather.
- James Norvell. Patriot A131360. Patriotic Service. Furnished Supplies. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Thomas Sprigg Prather. Patriot A924430. Patriotic Service. Swore Oath. Furnished Supplies. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Nehemiah Scott. A134145. Patriotic Service. Furnished Supplies. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Joseph Scott. A134144. Patriotic Service. Furnished Supplies. 7th Great Grandfather.
- Isaac Watt Smith. Patriot A105612. Private. Prisoner. 4th Great Grandfather.
- James Clayton Stribling. A111279. Private. 5th Great Grandfather.
- Thomas Stribling. A111332. Private. 6th Great Grandfather.
- John Stovall. A110786. Patriotic Service. Oath, Furnished Supplies. 7th Great Grandfather.
- Josiah Stovall. A110795. Patriotic Service. Oath. 6th Great Grandfather.
- William Wilkerson. Patriot A125678. Patriotic Service. Public Service Claim. 6th Great Grandfather.
- Joseph Williams. Patriot A047262. Patriotic Service. Signed Petition. Reimbursed for Pork. 5th Great Grandfather.
- Jacob Wise. Patriot A126813. Private, Patriotic Service. Capts Hammond, Bacon.
may qualify through Anthony Holladay, my 8th great-grandfather.
Myself -> Mom -> Grandmom Conerly -> Ernest Edward Conerly -> Chauncey Porter Conerly -> Owen Conerly, Jr. -> Mary Elizabeth Wilkinson -> William Wilkinson -> Hulda Godwin -> Charity Holladay -> Anthony Holladay (1657 - 1718).
- First-hand information. Entered by William Jennings at registration.
- Birth Certificate (Self, kids).
- Marriage Certificates.
- Webb, James (1981). A Sense of Honor. Annapolis, Maryland: Bluejacket Books. pp. 166–170. ISBN 1-55750-917-4
Only the Trusted List can access the following:
- Bill's formal name
- full middle name
- e-mail address
- exact birthdate
- birth location
- images (1)
- family tree
- father's name
- mother's name
- siblings' names
- spouse's name
- childrens' names
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
For public comments, here are the options:
- Public Bulletin Board: You need to be a community member and logged-in to post bulletin board comments. (Best for comments to or about Bill that can be public. Limit of 10 per day.)
- Private Message: You can also send a private message to Bill. (Best for comments to Bill that need to be private.)
Public Bulletin Board
On April 2, 2013
On February 6, 2013
On January 29, 2013
On January 29, 2013
On January 27, 2013
On January 25, 2013
On January 25, 2013
On January 25, 2013
On January 15, 2013
On January 14, 2013