Bio Sketch of Woodford Jordan
JORDAN DNA PROJECT HALPO GROUP JG8 Match for RayNeal Jordan (through his father Riley F. Jordan) ID: 27442
COMMON ANCESTOR: Samuel Jordan BIRTH: 1578 England MIGRATION PATTERN: VA>NC>GA>AL>TX COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Wales, England
Woodford Jordan (also spelled Jaurdan and Jordoen) was born about 1781, in Virginia Colony during the Revolutionary War. <p>The earliest record found for Woodford was the 1810 Census. Here Woodford is shown with 2 sons under 10 years old (Ewell and Thomas L.) and 2 adults, one male between 26 and 45 (Woodford) and one female between 16 and 25 (Elizabeth). This establishes an age range for Woodford, his wife, and his two sons. This same Woodford in 1830  lives next to Ewell Jordan. Jane Coffey is found near Enoch, Ewel, Woodford, and my Coffey's Benjamin, Bennett, and Caswell in several sequential censuses.
In 1840 Census , Woodford now lives in Hawkins Co., TN next to Ewel, and Enoch, and a couple of doors away is Thomas Jurdin. It is the 1850 Census  that first tells us his date of birth "about 1781" and his wife, Elizabeth's as 1786. The 1850 Census also established Woodford's birthplace to be Virginia, and Elizabeth's to be North Carolina. Note that the the Virginia/Carolina boundary was not clearly defined at this time and that names of counties was changing.
In 1810  this Woodford was married and in Rockingham Co., North Carolina (his family was 20010-0010000). In this 1810 Census, there were 4 Jordans living in fairly close proximity. PAGE PAGE LINE LAST NAME FIRST NAME 0025 218 2 Jordan Robert. 0025 219 13 Jordan Robert H. 0027 223 16 Jordan Samuel. 0024 216 19 Jordan Woodford.
Upon researching each of these, I find that Robert H. is Rev. Robert Harrison Jordan (1790 - 1866). In 1810 he was living in Rockingham Co, North Carolina. Robert Harrison Jordan was born in Virginia, as was Woodford, and he was Son of Thomas Pleasants Jordan and Susannah Ellyson Jordan as established by R. H.'s Find A Grave Memorial# 100112398.
Although vital records are not available, circumstantial evidence is considerable to consider Thomas Pleasants Jordanand Susannah Ellyson Jordan as Woodford's parents:
- naming patterns of Woodford and his son Enoch, Thomas being a family name;
- the migration to North Carolina, the proximity of R. H. (his brother?) to Woodford in Rockingham.
Woodford Jordan married Elisabeth Coffey, daughter of Benjamin and Mary Hayes Coffey in about 1805 according to the 1860 Census , in Rockingham County, North Carolina.
KNOWN CHILDREN OF WOODFORD JORDAN AND ELIZABETH:
- EWEL JORDAN JORDOEN was born on 06 Nov 1806 in Rockingham, North Carolina, USA. He died on 29 Jun 1882 in Hancock, Tennessee, USA. He married Elizabeth McCoy, daughter of David McCOY and Margaret Peggy Norton, on 13 Jan 1828 in Grainger, Tennessee. She was born in 1807 in Indian Creek, Grainger, Tennessee, USA. She died on 17 Feb 1872 in Hancock, Tennessee, USA.
- THOMAS L JOURDAN was born on 08 Sep 1808 in Rockingham, North Carolina, USA. He died on 23 Dec 1903 in Laurel, Knox, Kentucky, USA. He married ABIGAIL PAYNE, daughter of William Payne and Abigail Stewart, on 25 Mar 1834 in Knox, Kentucky, USA. She was born in 1815 in Barbourville, Knox, Kentucky. She died in 1881 in Knox County, Kentucky, USA.
- ENOCH JORDOEN JAURDAN was born in 1812 in Hawkins County, Tennessee, USA (Census records show birth to be North Carolina.). He died on 16 Dec 1916 in Wildie, Rockcastle County, Kentucky, USA. He married Alice "Allie" Coffey, daughter of Bennett Coffey and Sarah "Sallie" Ferguson, in 1838 in North Carolina. She was born about 1816 in Hawkins, Tennessee, USA. She died in 1880 in Mount Vernon, Rockcastle, Kentucky, United States.
- ELISABETH JAURDEN was born in 1832 in Hawkins, Tennessee, USA.
Woodford Jordan died in 1861 in Hancock County, Tennessee, having lived a long life of 80 years. It is believed by family that he is buried in Hancock County, Tennessee in an unmarked grave.
-- SOURCES --
- ↑ Jordan Family Surname DNA Website - Y-DNA Classic Chart https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Jordan-Surname-Project/default.aspx?section=yresults
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1810 United States Federal Census Name Woodford Jordan Home in 1810 (City, County, State) Rockingham, North Carolina
- ↑ 1830 United States Federal Census Name Woodford Jordan Home in 1830 Hawkins, Tennessee
- ↑ 1840 United States Federal Census Name Woodford Jordan Home in 1840 Hawkins, Tennessee
- ↑ 1850 United States Federal Census Name Woodford Jordan Age 69 Birth Year abt 1781 Birthplace Virginia Home in 1850 Subdivision 32, Hancock, Tennessee
- ↑ 1860 United States Federal Census Name Woodford Jaurdin Age 79 Birth Year abt 1781 Birth Place Virginia Home in 1860 Walker, Hancock, Tennessee Post Office War Creek
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Woodford by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Grace McChesney - 23andMe
Ancestry.com member glboerner
- Anonymous. McChesney - 23andMe
- Grace McChesney - AncestryDNA
GEDMatch ID A111278
Ancestry.com member glboerner
- Rene (King) Thompson - AncestryDNA
Ancestry.com member ReneKingThompson
- Grace McChesney - Family Tree DNA Family Finder
Family Tree DNA kit B72588
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Woodford is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 31 degrees from Gene Kelly, 20 degrees from Maureen O'Hara and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.