- David Kennedy's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Occupation ¶Place: Merchant in New Galloway ¶See source 3 for this person ¶Page(s): 84
- DAVID, who bought Knocknalling from his cousin, as named above, in 1740. He married Elizabeth Chapman, who died 16th December 1782, aged 91, and by her had one son (Robert) and three daughters. He died on 15th April 1768, aged 73 years. from “Kennedy” notes
- “On a tombstone, in Kells Kirkyard, is the following inscription: óìIn memory of David Kennedy, of Knocknalling, merchant in New Galloway, who died 15th April, 1768, aged 73; of Elizabeth Chapman, his spouse, who died 16th December, 1782, aged 91; of Robert Kennedy, of Knocknalling, their son, who died 12th May, 1779, aged 49; of Margaret Alexander, his spouse, who died 17th December, 1801, aged 73; of Robert Kennedy, who died 10th February, 1794, aged 6; and Mary Kennedy, who died 15th January, 1800, aged 2 years, children of David Kennedy of Knocknalling, 1808; also of David Kennedy, his son, who died 21st February, 1812, aged 19 years, and also of the said David Kennedy, son of Robert Kennedy of Knocknalling, who died at Knocknalling on the 12th November, 1836, aged 72 years; also of Mary MíMillan, daughter of James MíMillan, Esq., of Barlae, spouse of the said David Kennedy, who died on the 27th July; 1855, in the 95th year of her age.î
- From “Scottish Surnames; a contribution to genealogy” by James Paterson 1866, page 84:
“Every search has been made to discover the parentage of John Kennedy of New Galloway. The defective state of the parisg registers, however, has baffled all our exertions. It is on record, that David, merchant in New Galloway, who purchased Knocknalling was the cousin of the former proprietor. The arms on the gravestone of John of New Galloway show that his father was of Ardmillan stock, and there can be no doubt of the fact; but owing to the ciscumstance already alluded to , the precise descent cannot be traced.”
- User ID: CFF00B53E474C344B82A5A775DDB35D06C13
- Data Changed:
- Date: 9 Nov 2012
- Time: 18:45:50
- Date: 9 Nov 2012
Prior to import, this record was last changed 18:45:50 9 Nov 2012.
Source 1 ¶Author: J Douglas Kennedy; Lancaster Scotland; 1884 ¶Title: “Kennedy” 1142 to 1883
Source 2 ¶Title: Burke’s Landed Gentry 1875
Source 3 ¶Author: James Paterson ¶Title: Scottish Surnames; a Contribution to Genealogy
<Sources for the family of David Kennedy and Elizabeth Chapman:>
Source 1 ¶Author: James Paterson ¶Title: Scottish Surnames; a Contribution to Genealogy
- WikiTree profile Kennedy-3139 created through the import of kennedy.ged on Nov 11, 2012 by Katharine E. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Katharine and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of David's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
David is 25 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 27 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 24 degrees from Michael Phelps, 33 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.