- John Kennedy's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Birth See source 1 for this person Page(s): GD25/8/1004 Aug. 29, 1723 Extracted text: his father disponed (transferred) lands of Baltersan to him in Feb., 1701, at which time he must have been of age and therefore at least 20 years of age
Death See source 3 for this person Page(s): 84
1723 - Aug. 29 - NAS GD25/8/1004 - Sir John Kennedy of Culzeane mounted a case against Hugh Arbuthnot to verify the title to land of Baltersan conveyed by Hugh Kennedy of Ardmillan and Baltersan to his son, John Kennedy in February 1701.
- “Kennedy 1142 to 1883” names this John Kennedy as the father of David Kennedy, merchant of New Galloway who purchased Knockreoch and Knocknalling from his cousin William Kennedy, younger of Knocknalling.
- The NAS document confirms his existance as a cousin of William Kennedy, and his father Hugh Kennedy was married to Jean Kennedy, daughter of Major Thomas Kennedy of Baltersan.
- In 1709, John Kennedy, son of Major Thomas Kennedy of Baltersan, had sasine of the lands of Baltersan.
- Beyond those facts, there is nothing I have yet found that confirms this John Kennedy to have a son named David who was a merchant in New Galloway, or that he was ever resident at either Knockreoch or Knocknalling. It is certainly a reasonable possibility, but that is all.
- “John, of New Galloway, born 1668. Married Marion Campbell, daughter of the Provost of Ayr, and died 1732 (the Ardmillane Arms are on his tombstone in Kells Kirkyard).” - from “Kennedy”
- User ID: 45770CFFE3717944BB6962004DCA98AEBBF4
- Data Changed:
- Date: 9 Nov 2012
- Time: 18:45:38
- Date: 9 Nov 2012
Prior to import, this record was last changed 18:45:38 9 Nov 2012.
- User ID: 518AEFC825028748956DB8B8A10A66909B89
- Husband: John Kennedy
- Wife: Jean Douglas
- Child: David Kennedy
- Date: ABT Mar 1704/1705
Could not interpret date in Marriage Date (ABT Mar 1704/1705).
Source 1 ¶Title: National Archives of Scotland
Source 2 ¶Author: J Douglas Kennedy; Lancaster Scotland; 1884 ¶Title: “Kennedy” 1142 to 1883
Source 3 ¶Author: James Paterson ¶Title: Scottish Surnames; a Contribution to Genealogy
- WikiTree profile Kennedy-3140 created through the import of kennedy.ged on Nov 11, 2012 by Katharine E. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Katharine and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 26 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 28 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 25 degrees from Michael Phelps, 34 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.