- Laton (Kindness) Kanistanaux's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Thomas Layton Kindness was born the 14th of August, 1833. The Kindness family is of Pequot origins. They are members of the Brothertown Community which originally settled in New York. The family moved with the tribe to Wisconsin when Laton was a child.
As a young man he traveled with a circus and was known as an Indian Doctor.
Layton passed away on the 2nd of September, 1910 in Colorado.
Data & Discussion
For a detailed review of records, images, and other items of interest concerning this individual please visit the Thomas Laton Kiness / Kanistanaux post on my research blog. I update this post whenever I discover new items.
- Layton appears in the 1870 U.S. Census for Rathbone, Steuben Co., NY as the head of household.
- Layton appears in the 1875 New York State Census for Stockton, Chautauqua Co. NY as the head of household. 
- Layton appears in the 1880 U.S. Census for Stockton, Chautauqua Co., NY as the head of household.
- Layton appears in the 1892 New York State Census for Stockton, Chautauqua Co. NY as the head of household.
- Layton appears in the 1900 U.S. Census for Stockton, Chautauqua Co., NY as the head of household. 
- Layton appears in the 1905 New York State Census for Stockton, Chautauqua Co. NY as the head of household. 
The Kanistanaux children found in the 1870, 1875, and 1880 census households (Leonatta, Carrie, Isaac Henry, and William) do not appear to be his children and may not be children of his wife either.
William is identified in a news-clipping as his grandson by marriage. The death records of Isaac Henry and Carrie provide no information about their parents yet surviving family members knew the two were raised in the Kanistanaux household. Lee-o-netto's death record provides no name for her mother and the name John Moulton as her father. The true relationship of these children to Layton is unknown at this time.
- Nancy L, preliminary research.
- Visit my blog GWILODWÔGAN for the details of my research on this family.
- ↑ U.S. Federal Census, 1870, Rathbone, Steuben Co., NY, Dwelling #65, Family #65
- ↑ NY State Census, 1875, Stockton, Chautauqua Co., pg. 30, Dwelling #317, Family #328
- ↑ U.S. Federal Census, 1880, Stockton, Chautauqua Co., NY, pg.17, Dwelling #185 , Family #189
- ↑ NY State Census, 1892, Stockton, Chautauqua Co., pg. 9
- ↑ U.S. Federal Census, 1900, Stockton, Chautauqua Co., NY, pg.19
- ↑ NY State Census, 1905, Stockton, Chautauqua Co., pg. 4
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Laton's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.