This person was created on 19 March 2011 through the import of Davidson.GED.
Excerpt from Israel Kenny: His Children and Their Families by Edwin Wallace Bell, 1944, page 13. "John S. Kenney and Sarah Crabtree were married at Bay Chaleur, NB and after living there for a short period removed to Greenfield, NB. The pioneers of NB never lacked for romantic adventure. After the ice had formed solidly on the Saint John (River) it is said that John Kenney brought his little wife of fifteen years down the river on a sled drawn by a large Newfoundland dog. At Greenfield he made his home along with his father Stephen and his uncles John and Andrew Kenney who occupied an important part of that thriving settlement. The rock maple trees grew plentifully on John S. Kenney's new farm. He was a tireless worker at anything he undertook to do and soon became famous for the great quantities of maple sugar he made. There were other Kenneys in the community named John and his friends soon found it easy to identify him as "Sugar John" a name that anybody might be proud of." (3)
Nicknames were Sugar John or Praying John. (2,3)
1. Grave information: Find a Grave, accessed 9 Mar 2014: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=66341972
2. Kinney, Fern Gallup: Kith and Kin of the Kinneys. [nd]. PDF file available for download: http://home.comcast.net/~kinneyed/KithAndKin_image.pdf.
3. Bell, Edwin Wallace: Israel Kenny; his children and their families. [Vancouver, B.C.], 1944. May be borrowed from Open Library for reading online: https://archive.org/details/israelkennyhisch00bell. Accessed 9 Jan 2014
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John Shepherd by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John Shepherd:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John Shepherd is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 22 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 33 degrees from Gene Kelly, 27 degrees from Bram Stoker and 20 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.