This person was created on 19 March 2011 through the import of Davidson.GED.
He went by the name of Shepherd (1), sometimes spelled Shepard.(3) His nicknames were "J.S." or "Uncle Shep." (2)
He was referred to as "Shepard" in the 1861 census; and "Shepherd" in the 1871 census. (5, 1)
The last name was spelled either Kenney (1, 3) or Kinney (2).
He appears in the 1861 Census of Canada (5), living with his parents and siblings in Wicklow, Carleton, New Brunswick. Note: The family name in the census is transcribed as "Kenney" and her father's middle initial as "O"--looking at the original document, it looks like "Kinney" and middle initial "S" to me:
John O Kenney 59
Sarah Kenney 41
Shepard Kenney 23
Aron Kenney 17
Ann Kenney 15
Susana Kenney 11
Adeline Kenney 9
Richard Kenney 5
Charles Kenney 3
He married Sarah Lewis 2 Aug 1863. (2,6) They were married in Bridgewater, Maine, by Charles Kidder. (7)
Shepherd tells the 1900 U.S. Census taker that he came to the United States in 1879. (11) Harris-837 18:28, 3 March 2014 (EST) This appears to have been a miscalculation, as his family is still in Canada for the 1881 Census.
The family of Shepherd Kinney and Sarah Lewis Kinney is listed in the 1881 Census of Canada (8), living in Perth, Victoria, New Brunswick:
John T Kinney 43 [when the original document is viewed, the middle initial "T" is most probably an "S")
Sarah Kinney 37
Sarah E Kinney 16
Laura Kinney 11
Willard Kinney 9
Edith Kinney 7
Henry A Kinney 5
Sheperd Kinney 2
Harris-837 15:21, 3 March 2014 (EST) I do not find the youngest child, "Sheperd Kinney 2" mentioned as a child of this family anywhere else. Another Kinney, this time spelled "Shepherd" appears in the 1891 Canada Census, well after the family has moved to Michigan. This Shepherd is 12 years old, with an estimated birth date of 1879--the same as the two year old listed in the 1881 Census--and is living with the family of Alexander and Jane Ritchie in Wicklow, Carleton, New Brunswick. (9)
The family is listed in the 1900 U.S. Census (11), living in Stambaugh, Iron, Michigan. Shepherd gives his occupation as farmer:
S Kinney 61
Sarah A Kinney 56
Sarah E Mcdonald 35
Willard Kinney 28
Edith M Kinney 26
Aaron Kinney 24
Addie Kinney 15
Annie Mcdonald 13
Shepherd's first wife, Sarah Lewis, died about 1908. (6)
Shepherd married Mary E. Hibbard in Dover, Maine on 26 Apr 1916. (10)
"INFORMATION FROM RELATIVE: Great-granddaughter, Janet Feldhusen says [Shep was the] child of John Shepherd Kinney & Sarah Crabtree who resided in New Brunswick. He was born in Greenfield NB. Oldest of 7 living children, with 4 additional children (dates unknown) who died in childhood. Usually went by the name of Shepherd or J.S. or Uncle Shep. Married Sarah Lewis on Aug 2 1863. Moved with family to Spring Valley (Gaastra) in 1882. After his first wife Sarah died in 1908, he married again to Mrs Mary Hibbard in Dover ME. He grew rich from his iron mine and went to Washington DC. Died in San Francisco in an automobile wreck." (2)
Also from the Find a Grave Site: "Children: 1. Elizabeth Kinney McDonald Young 1864-1908 2. Laura Kinney Piper 1869-1936 3. Baby boy Theodore 4. Willard married Ann Jane Brown 5. Edith Kinney Engelhardt 1874-1950 6. Henry Aaron 1876-1960 7. Charles 1878-1893 who drowned at age 14 8. Adelia Victoria Kinney White (married Luther)
Clarice Cocco of Caspian is also a great-granddaughter." (2)
John Shepherd Kinney, Jr. is buried in the Stambaugh Cemetery (Block 2, lot 17), Iron River, Iron County, Michigan, U.S.A. (2)
1. Year: 1871; Census Place: Wicklow, Carleton, New Brunswick; Roll: C-10384; Page: 22; Family No: 70. Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1871 Census of Canada [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009.
2. Find a Grave, John Shepherd Kinney, Jr.: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=13412190, accessed 10 Jan 2014. Information came from Kinney's great-granddaughter, Janet Feldhusen.
3. Library and Archives Canada; Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; Census Returns For 1861; Roll: C-999-1000. Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1861 Census of Canada [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009
4. Photo of Shepherd Kinney, used with permission. Thank you to Dale Safford for maintaining his Find a Grave memorial and to Janet Feldhusen (Uncle Shep’s great-granddaughter) for making the photos available to Dale. Source: Find a Grave, John Shepherd Kinney, Jr. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=13412190.
5. "New Brunswick Census, 1861," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MQM1-QJW : accessed 11 Jan 2014), Shepard Kenney, 1861.
6. Kinney, Fern Gallup: Kith and Kin of the Kinneys. [nd]. PDF file available for download: http://home.comcast.net/~kinneyed/KithAndKin_image.pdf.
7. Notice in the Morning News, Saint John, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada: 31 Aug 1863. Indexed in Daniel F. Johnson's New Brunswick Newspaper Vital Statistics, Volume 21, number 842. http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/NewspaperVitalStats/Details.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=0feb65d7-d8b4-4edc-8f88-8f0bd9dca1e4&r=1&ni=159286. Accessed 3 Mar 2014.
8. 1881 Census of Canada. Year: 1881; Census Place: Perth, Victoria, New Brunswick; Roll: C_13183; Page: 8; Family No: 37. Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1881 Census of Canada [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2009.
9. 1891 Census of Canada. Year: 1891; Census Place: Wicklow, Carleton, New Brunswick; Roll: T-6298; Family No: 125. Ancestry.com. 1891 Census of Canada [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.
10. Marriage to Mary E. Hibbard: Maine Marriages 1892-1996. Ancestry.com. Maine, Marriages, 1892-1996 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2003. Original data: Maine State Archives. Maine Marriages 1892-1996 (except 1967 to 1976). Maine. Index obtained from Maine Department of the Secretary of State, Maine State Archives, http://www.state.me.us/sos/arc/files/dbinfo.htm
11. 1900 U.S. Census. Year: 1900; Census Place: Stambaugh, Iron, Michigan; Roll: 718; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 0078; FHL microfilm: 1240718. Ancestry.com. 1900 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Shepherd's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.