- John Knight's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person migrated to New England during Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
Fraudulent History Warning
- About sixty years ago our family had some faithful genealogists. A great deal of research by them produced the belief (incorrect) that our Knight ancestors came from Romsey, Hampshire, England, and that John (Sr.) migrated to America in 1635 aboard the ship JAMES with his brother Richard. They both were tailors who arrived in Boston Bay and settled in Newbury, MA, north of Boston.
John Knight was born about 1595 in Romsey, Southampton, England. He died 22 May 1674 in Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
- Date: 1619
John Knight, carpenter, came to New England with wife, MARY (PICKERING) KNIGHT (married 1619 in Romsey, Southampton, England) & at least one child - my ancestor, JOSEPH KNIGHT. They settled first in Cambridge in 1635. He was a Watertown proprietor in 1636 and which was the year that he was named a Freeman in Mass. Bay Colony. He sold his land at Watertown on June 5, 1640. In 1640, he bought land in Sudsbury and was a proprietor there. He removed to Charlestown & then Woburn (proprietor in 1650) and back to Charlestown before his death. His will was dated December 14, 1672 & probated June 10, 1674 at which time a gift to his granddaughter & my ancestor, ELIZABETH KNIGHT, was confirmed. He bequeathed also to his sister, Abigail and to son-in-law Robert Pierce of Woburn.
Abstract of Woburn Deeds: 3:B1 p. 24 "John Green of Charlestown, senior, sold unto John Knight of Woburn one dwelling house in Woburn, also eighty acres of arable and meadow land....being at the southwest of the town of Woburn and surrounding on all sides of the Common of the said town" (No date) On December 29, 1671, there is a record of a promisory note from William Johnson of Woburn, carpenter, owing John Knight of Charlestown, 400 pounds sterling. From this you can see that John Knight had returned to Charlestown by 1671. From the will of Robert Pierce of Woburn, yeoman: "...about 30 acres purchased of my father-in-law, John Knight, late of Charlestown, deceased by deed dated March 6, 1663" (Robert Pierce married John's daughter, Mary).
- ↑ Genealogy of the Joseph Sr. and Polly Knight Family
- Bond, "Genealogies and History of Watertown MA." p. 816
- "Genealogies and Estates of Charlesown MA." pp 590-591
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Robert Weaver and Rhonda Scoullar. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.