- Henry Knowles's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
from History of the state of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations: BiographicalNY: The American Historical Society, Inc. 1920 (See ):
Henry Knowles, immigrant ancestor and progenitor of all of the family of ancient date in Rhode Island, came from London, England, to Portsmouth, R. I., arriving on April 15, 1635. Of his three sons only one, William Knowles, lived to perpetuate the line.
from Stanwood Knowles Bolton, "Henry Knowles of Rhode Island and Some of His Descendants," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 87.
It is the purpose of the compiler of this article to present a genealogy of the family of which Henry KNOWLES of Rhode Island, who came to Boston from England in 1635, in the ship Susan & Ellen, was the immigrant ancestor. For several generations this family was settled along the shores of Narrangansett Bay, and its members, many of whom belonged to the Society of Friends (Quakers), may be traced in the Rhode Island vital records. It is difficult, however, to be sure of the identity and relationship to one another of members of the family who lived in adjoining towns and bore oft-repeated Christian names.Besides the KNOWLES family of Rhode Island, descendants of Henry KNOWLES, there were other families of the name in New England which apparently had no connection with the Rhode Island family; at any rate, their relationship to it has not been established.
Henry Knowles Came in the Susan and Ellin as a servant of Ralph Hudson.[Boarded in April of 1635 when he was 25 years old and landed in June. This was part of the Great Migration. see Geni.com "Great Migration" below.] Hudson was a draper in Hull, Yorkshire. By the time Hudson made his will in 1638, Henry had left his service and is not mentioned in the will.
Henry was in Rhode Island as early as 1638, and appears in records beginning with grand jury services in late 1643 at Newbury and March 1644 at Portsmouth. In the winter of 1648, he was one of fifty who swore their submission to Oliver Cromwell's government. In January 1654/5, Henry sold his land in Portsmouth, and later that year appears on a list of freeman at Warwick. He is involved in several suits during the winter of 1661/2. In March 1664/5, he and three others are listened to keep ordinaries for the entertainment of strangers.
His will refers to his wife (but does not name her), sons John, Henry and William, daughters Mary and Martha.496
Savage's: HENRY, Warwick, on list of freemen. 1655, in 1644, was of Portsmouth, R. I. and had, I suppose, m. a d. of Robert Potter of Warwick; and 1671 was in his 62d yr. 6 Jan. when, I judge, his will was made, by wh. he names s. John, William, and Henry, ds. Mary, wh. had m. g Nov. 1668, Moses Lippit, and Martha, w. of Samuel Eldredge; and at Kingstown, or into Narragansett, that disputed territory, prob. all the brs. and sis. were gathered.
Immigrant to Boston from England, in the ship Susan & Ellen, as a servant of Ralph Hudson
HENRY KNOWLES (ROBERT 1) was born 1609 in near Hull, Yorkshire, England, and died January 02, 1670 in Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island. He married MARTHA ELIZABETH POTTER c 1640 in Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island. She was born c 1620 in Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island, and died 1679 in Kent Co., Rhode Island.
Children of HENRY KNOWLES and MARTHA POTTER are: 2. i. WILLIAM 3 KNOWLES, b. 1645, Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island; d. 1727, South Kingstown, Washington Co., Rhode Island. 3. ii. MARY KNOWLES, b. Bet. 1645 - 1649, Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island; d. December 28, 1719, Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island. iii. JOHN KNOWLES, b. c 1647, Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island; d. September 16, 1716, Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island. 4. iv. MARTHA KNOWLES, b. 1651, Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island; d. Bef. October 14, 1728, North Kingstown, Washington Co., Rhode Island. v. HENRY KNOWLES, b. c 1654, Warwick, Kent Co., Rhode Island; d. Bet. May 10 - July 13, 1726, Rhode Island.
Marriage 1 Spouse Unknown, Children:
- William Knowles b: ABT 1645
- John Knowles b: ABT 1647
- Mary Knowles b: ABT 1649
- Martha Knowles b: ABT 1651
- Henry Knowles b: ABT 1654
- 1635 New England
- 2 Jan 1670 Kingston, Washington, Rhode Island
- BET 2 AND 20 JAN 1670/71 in Kingstown, RI
- Austin, John O. The Journal of William Jefferay, Gentleman (E. L. Freeman & Sons, 1899) Page 126
- Bolton, Stanwood K. Henry Knowles of Rhode Island and some of his Descendants,The New England Historical & Genealogical Register (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Boston, Mass., 1933) Vol. 87, Page 359
- Ancestral File: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/9437-D5Q
- Ancestry Family Trees (Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com) Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=28407175&pid=555
- Edmund West, comp. Family Data Collection - Individual Records (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001)
- Birth 1620 Warwick, Kent, RI. Marriage: 1640
- Death: 1675 Warwick, Kent, RI
- AGBI: American Genealogical-Biographical Index, Godfrey Memorial Library, Middletown, CT, USA
- Birth: 1609 Eng, Rhode Island
- Yates Publishing, U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 (Provo, UT, USA, The Generations Network, Inc., 2004)
- Birth: 1609 en. Marriage: 1645 RI.
- Birth: 1607 EN. Marriage: 1637 RI.
- Birth: 1620 RI. Marriage: 1640 RI.
- Filby, P. William, ed. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s (Farmington Hills, MI, USA: Gale Research, 2012)
- Birth: abt 1610. Arrival: 1635 New England
- The Millennium File (Heritage Consulting, Salt Lake City, UT, USA)
- Birth: 1609 Hull, Yorks, England. Death: 1670 Kingstown or Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island, USA
- Bicknell, Thomas. The History of the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (The American Historical Society, Inc., New York, 1920)
- Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England (Boston, Little, Brown and Company, 1862)
- ↑ Bolton: Page 359
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Millennium File
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Yates
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Filby
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 AGBI
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Edmund West
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Henry's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jay Byrne and Kyle Grindberg. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On February 12, 2015 at 16:07GMT Kyle Grindberg wrote:
On February 12, 2015 at 01:38GMT Doug Matthews wrote:
Henry is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 44 degrees from Anne Frank, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 14 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.