- Thomas Lacy's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Confusion About Which Thomas Lacy Was the Immigrant
Published accounts, including the Compendium of American Genealogy by Virkus, have confused Thomas Lacy, father and son, "Thomas Lacy, from Eng. to Va., 1702, m Ann Burnley." This statement is now dis-proven. Thomas Lacy who married Phoebe Rice was the immigrant. Subject of this profile, Thomas Lacy II, the son, was born in Virginia and married Ann Burnley. This is proved by a document written c. 1850 by Rev. William Sterling Lacy which recorded the words of "old William Rice" in about 1828 or 1829. Rice definitely stated that Thomas Lacy was engaged to Miss Rice, daughter of Thomas Rice, in Wales, and then preceded (by a few years) the Rice family to Virginia, where the couple married. "Old William Rice" was a grandson of the immigrant, Thomas Rice.
- Thomas (III)
Circumstantial evidence for these children:
- Phoebe (tentatively)
There certainly may have been other children, especially daughters, of whom we have no current knowledge.
Death and Legacy
Thomas died c. 1727 at Manakin, Hanover County, Virginia.
- ↑ Virkus, Frederick A., editor and Albert Nelson Marquis, The Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy; First Families of America; a Genealogical Encyclopedia of the United States, (Vol 1, page 673) Chicago: A.N. Marquis & company, 1925-, Web accessed September 7, 2014
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Lacey, Elton, "SECOND GENERATION: Thomas II LACY", March 5, 2000, Web accessed September 7, 2014
- ↑ Crawford, M. Angela, "Portrait of a Pioneer Family: The Lacys of Union County", SouthArk South Arkansas Community College, Web accessed September 7, 2014
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Lacey, Elton, Thomas Lacy I of New Kent and Hanover Counties, Virginia, Web accessed September 7, 2014
- Lacey, Hubert W., edited by Howell Edison Lacy, The Thomas Lacy III Family of Hanover and Buckingham Counties, Virginia: With Forebears, Descendants and Some Allied Families Baltimore : Gateway Press, 1983.
- Hazel Potter Lawler, The Stephen Lacy Family of Goochland County, Virginia with forebears, descendants and allied families, Fredricksburg, Virginia, 22401, (c) Hazel Potter Lawler, 1981. (This book contains all the descendants, well documented, for the Thomas Lacy family)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: George Berthelson and Mary Lacy. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On December 31, 2014 at 16:58GMT Cynthia B wrote:
But this should not hold up the merge. Please approve if you agree these two profiles represent the same person.
On December 20, 2014 at 21:31GMT Cynthia B wrote:
Thomas is 21 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 52 degrees from Anne Frank, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.