- Hiram William Lakey's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This biography was auto-generated by a GEDCOM import. It's a rough draft and needs to be edited.
- ID: C7C56E1B8C2745A1AB6CDCA5E029E9F72F67
- 14 JUN 2011
Prior to import, this record was last changed 14 JUN 2011.
- Hiram Lakey was said to have killed his son's father-in-law (Elizabeth Shope
- 's Dad) during a family outing where one of the Lakey boys had accused one
- of the Shope boys of kissing one of the girls in an ungentlemanly fashion.
- The two Dad's got involved (sticking up for their son's) and when John
- George Shope threatened to kill any of the Lakey boys who talked bad about
- one of his sons a fight broke out between Hiram Lakey and John Shope. Hiram
- is said to have struck him dead by hitting him with a rod? Hiram then fled
- towards Tennessee where he was said to have relatives but was never heard
- from again. John Shope's body lay were it was slain for two or more days
- before the family returned and gave him a decent buriel. Family stories tell
- that most believe the Shope Boys caught up with Hiram as he fled somewhere
- along the trail and killed him then returning, a few days later, to bury
- their father. Families served their own justice and revenge in those days
- since there weren't many sheriff's or law enforcement to speak of.
Thank you to William Graham for creating WikiTree profile Lakey-94 through the import of WLGraham.ged on May 24, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by William and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Hiram William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.