Mother of Samuel L. Clemens aka 'Mark Twain'
Jane Lampton was considered the handsomest girl and the wittiest, as well as the best dancer, in all Kentucky.
Jane Lampton married John Clemens in 1823 and they moved to Tennessee.
She had a great gift of storytelling. A skill Samuel learned from her.
After her husband's death in 1847, she had to raise the children on her own.
In her later years, Jane was supported by Samuel and her other children.
In 1850, Jane was 45, living in Hannibal, Missouri with her children:
Orion, age 25, a printer, born in Tennessee;
Pamela A., age 23, born in Tennessee;
Samuel L. (later known as Mark Twain), born in Missouri.
- "United States Census, 1850," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MDZX-ZZJ : accessed 10 February 2015), Jane Clemens, Hannibal City, Marion, Missouri, United States; citing family 709, NARA microfilm publication M432 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ↑ 1850 U. S. Federal Census
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Jane's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Jane is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 20 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 22 degrees from Mark Hamill, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.