|This person is an Acadian.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Acadians Project!
Edmée Lejeune is the ancestral matriarch of the Acadian Gautrot family.
The 1671 Port Royal Census lists Edmee's age as 47, which puts her birth at around 1624. She was the sister of Catherine Lejeune and Pierre II Lejeune, and spouse of François Savoie.  It is often written that Pierre Lejeune was their father, but this is not known.
In about 1646, Edmee married Francois Gauterot, widower of Marie whose last name was not known. Between 1645 and 1668, the couple had nine children: Marie, Jean, Renée, Marguerite, François, Claude, Charles, Jeanne and Germain.
Jean owned a lot adjoining the side of the old Fort (which, according to Stephen White was expropriated in 1705 to extend the Fort in Port-Royal). It is not clear how long the family they lived there.
Edmee appears to have died between the 1693 and 1698 census.
Ethnic Origins. Some have speculated that Edmée had an Amerindian mother. The Mothers of Acadia maternal DNA project posts its ongoing Maternal DNA results here. To date, the haplogroup of both sisters is consistently reported as U6a7a, indicating European origins.
Location of Birth. Regarding the Lejeune siblings' specific location of birth in France, Stephen remains silent presumably because there are no birth records. In contrast, Massignon argues that a number of familial alliances existed among the first settlers of Acadia PRIOR to their arrival in Acadia, which points to a common French origin. She believes they lived in the Acadian Governor d'Aulnay's seigneury in France near Loudon (comprising of the villages of Angliers, Aulnay, Martaizé and La Chausée). Regarding the Lejeune sisters, Massignon claims that they were allied with the Savoie through Catherine's marriage and the Gauterot through Edmee's marriage.</ref> It is not clear to me that the sisters married prior to their arrival in Acadia. Stephen White claims the Catherine married Savoie in Acadia. Edmee's marriage around 1644 to Gauterot may have taken place in Acadia as he was among the first settlers and was definitely in Acadia prior to 1650 (some claim 1636).
- c1624 birth, in France
- c1644 marriage to widower François Savoie
- c1645 birth, daughter Marie
- c1648 birth, son Jean
- c1652 birth, son Renee
- c1654 birth, daughter Marguerite
- 1654 British capture Port-Royal; French settlement ceases
- c1657 birth, son Francois
- c1659 birth, son Claude
- c1661 birth, son Charles
- c1665 birth, daughter Jeanne
- 1667-70 Treaty of Breda cedes Acadia to the French; settlement resumes
- c1668 birth, son Germain
- 1671 residence Port Royal
- 1678 residence Port Royal
- 1686 residence Port Royal
- 1687 War of the League of Augsburg (King William’s War) starts between England and France
- 1690 Phipps captures and sacks Port-Royal, coerces inhabitants' oaths of allegiance to English Crown, sets up local Peacekeeping Council and leaves within 12 days. Seaman from two ships later loot
- 1693 residence, Port Royal
- a1693 death
- 1671 Acadian Census at Port Royal: Francois GAUTEROT, 58, wife Edmee LeJEUNE 47; Children (married): Marie 35, Charles 34, Marie 24, Rene 19, Marguerite 16; (not married): Jean 23, Francois 19, Claude 12, Charles 10, Jeanne 7, Germain 3; cattle 16, sheep 6.
- 1678 Acadian Census at Port Royal: Francois Gautreau & Aymee LeJeune, 6 acres, 8 cattle 2 boys: age 20- born 1658 Claude, 1659 1659
- 18 1660 Charles 1661 1661
- 1686 Acadian Census at Port Royal: Francois GOTRO 71, Emee LAJEUNE 61
- 1693 Acadian census at Port Royal: Aimee LEJEUNE widow (of Francois GOTROT) 71.
- John Austin Young, The Lejeunes of Acadia and the Youngs of Southwest Louisiana, John Austin Young, Grand Pere Farm
- Source: Mariage avec François Gautreau vers 1644, Port-Royal, Acadie (Stephen White page 691)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 White, Stephen A., Patrice Gallant, and Hector-J Hébert. Dictionnaire Généalogique Des Familles Acadiennes. Moncton, N.-B.: Centre D'études Acadiennes, Université De Moncton, 1999, Print, p 1048; 691-692.
- ↑ Massignon, Geneviève. "Les parlers français d'Acadie, enquête linguistique", Librairie Klincksieck, Paris, 1962, 2 tomes, p32 (first French families in Acadia) p37 (Lejeune sisters' origins).
- ↑ White, Stephen A. La généalogie des trente-sept familles hôtesses des "Retrouvailles 94", Les Cahiers de la Société historique acadienne, vol. 25, nos 2 et 3 (1994). (Savoie)
- ↑ White, Stephen A. La généalogie des trente-sept familles hôtesses des "Retrouvailles 94", Les Cahiers de la Société historique acadienne, vol. 25, nos 2 et 3 (1994). Template:SW94 Gautrot
- ↑ William I. Roberts, 3rd, “SEDGWICK, ROBERT,” in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. 1, University of Toronto/Université Laval, 2003–, accessed November 20, 2013
- ↑ In collaboration, “MORILLON DU BOURG,” in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. 1, University of Toronto/Université Laval, 2003–, accessed November 20, 2013
- ↑ Griffiths, Naomi E.S., From migrant to Acadian : a North-American border people, 1604-1755, Montreal (Québec), McGill-Queen's University Press, 2005, p147-151 (King William’s War); p 267-268 (oaths of allegiance)
- ↑ C.P.Stacey, “PHIPS, SIR WILLIAM,” in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. 1, University of Toronto/Université Laval, 2003, accessed November 20, 2013
- ↑ Biography of William Phipps
- ↑ C.Bruce Fergusson,“LA TOURASSE, CHARLES,” in Dictionary of Canadian Biography, vol. 1, University of Toronto/Université Laval, 2003, accessed November 20, 2013
These notes should be integrated into the biography.
- 2. Edm?(Aim? LEJEUNE. Born ca 1624 in Seigneury of Aulnay, Martaize, Department of Vienne, FRA, date per S. White & census; location per F. Snyder. Edm?(Aim? died in Port Royal, Acadia in 1687; she was 63. Emigrated bef 1643 from Port
- Royal, Acadia. Was on the census for Port Royal, Acadia in 1671, age 47. Was on the census for Port Royal, Acadia in 1678, no age given. Was on the census for Port Royal, Acadia in 1686, age 61. Was on
- the census for Port Royal, Acadia in 1693, age 71 [sic]; widow. Alias/AKA: Admee Le Jeune. Alias/AKA: Aymee LeJeune. Alias/AKA: Emee LeJeune.
- ca 1644 when Edm?(Aim? was 20, she married Fran?s GAUTROT, in Port Royal, Acadia. Born in 1613 in Seigneury of Aulnay, Martaize, Department of Vienne, FRA. or b. 1614 per age 71 in early 1686 census. Fran?s died in
- Port Royal, Acadia in 1692; he was 79. Emigrated bef 1643 from Port Royal, Acadia. Was on the census for Port Royal, Acadia in 1671, age 58. Was on the census for Port Royal, Acadia in 1678, no age given. Was on the census for
- Port Royal, Acadia in 1686, age 71. Alias/AKA: Francois Gautreau. Alias/AKA: Francois Gotro.
- They had the following children:
- 4 i. Marie Fran?se Louise (1645-1732)
- 5 ii. Jean (1648-)
- 6 iii. Ren?(ca1652-?1686)
- 7 iv. Marguerite (1654-1727) (my ancestor)
- 8 v. Fran?s (ca1657-<1683)
- 9 vi. Claude (1659-1733)
- 10 vii. Charles (1661-1712)
- 11 viii. Jeanne (ca1665-1749)
- 12 ix. Germain (ca1668-)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Edmée by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. Mitochondrial DNA test-takers in the direct maternal line:
- Larry Muise - Family Tree DNA mtDNA HVR1 and HVR2
Family Tree DNA kit 172529
- Gordon Johnson - Family Tree DNA mtDNA HVR1 and HVR2
Family Tree DNA kit 364765
- John Riley - Family Tree DNA mtDNA Full Sequence
Family Tree DNA kit N143206
- Bob Landry - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID M695728
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Don Stone, John Riley, Roland Arsenault, Phil Masse, Craig Meyer, Maurice LeBlanc, Acadians Project WikiTree, Maurice Manuel, Nadine Rider, Sandy Gifford, Mary Shelton, and Kris Douget. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On January 22, 2016 at 21:58GMT John Riley wrote:
On January 22, 2016 at 17:18GMT Milton Girouard wrote:
On August 31, 2015 at 01:34GMT Bob Tonsmeire wrote:
On August 30, 2015 at 21:18GMT John Riley wrote:
On August 17, 2015 at 18:01GMT Annette Cormier wrote:
On July 18, 2015 at 13:39GMT Galen Theriault wrote:
On June 22, 2015 at 20:29GMT Donna Storz wrote:
On October 25, 2014 at 18:17GMT Jacqueline Girouard wrote:
On August 7, 2014 at 16:07GMT Galen Theriault wrote:
I'm thinking that the year of birth of the children may be off. If the 1671 Census shows Marie as 35 years old, I would think she would be born in 1636. But this is great info! Thanks for all the hard work!!
On July 16, 2014 at 16:59GMT Linda Gauvin wrote:
Edmée is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 25 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 23 degrees from Mark Hamill, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.