- John Lyford's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
This person migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
This person is an ancestor of President Abraham Lincoln. 
Rev. John Lyford was born by abt 1590 based on estimated date of marriage.
He married by 1617 Sarah ____, born about 1586 (deposed 1 Aug 1639 aged "about fifty-three years" [WP 4:137].
- She reported to Plymouth Deacons that she'd married him despite rumors that he'd had a bastard child before their marriage. Afterwards, the rumor was proved true and the child came to live with them.[Bradford 167]
He emigrated in 1624, perhaps on the Charity," settling initially in Plymouth, then Nantasket, Salem and the Virginia by 1627.
- Bradford's historical account for late 1624/early 1625 was dominated by the challenges related to Rev. John Lyford's preaching in Plymouth. Lyford, initially welcomed, set bout with John Oldham to establish a separate church; he was put under house arrest for letters he'd tried to send back to England; he and Oldham were expelled.
He died in Virginia about 1628 (having gone from Salem "to Virginia, where he shortly after died" [Bradford 169])
The will of "John Liford" of "Sherby [Shirley] Hundred in Virginia, clerk" was probate in Ireland in 1632.
His widow-- possibly maiden named Oakley (or she married second an Oakley)-- married Edmund Hobart 10 October 1634 in Charlestown, and he became guardian of her Lyford children. She died in Hingham, A 23 Jun 1649. [NEHGR 121:22] Her Lyford children-- Ruth and Mordecai-- acquitted "Edmund Hubbert senior" their "stepfather" for a legacy of 200 pounds of tobacco given them by their "father John Leyford by his last will and testament" (22 Oct 1641 and 3 Jun 1642) [SLR 1:27].
- Obadiah Lyford, b abt 1617 (in 1635 he was a scholar at Trinity College, Dublin; evidently died without surviving issue by 1639 when his brother Mordecai was called his "brother and next heir." [WP 4:137]
- Ruth, b abt 1619 (adult in 1641); m 19 Apr 1643 James Bates [NEHGR 121:15; Hingham History 38-39]
- Mordecai, b abt 1621; adult in 1642; no further record
- (probably) Martha, b abt 1628; m by 1650 Samuel Lincoln [NYGBR 60:115-17 (for this hypothesis to work, Martha would have to be born at about the time her father died, since her last child was born in 1674).
- Roberts, Gary Boyd; Ancestors of American Presidents. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009.
- ↑ Roberts, Gary Boyd; Ancestors of American Presidents
- ↑ Robert Charles Anderson, Great Migration Begins..., Boston, MA: NEHGS (1995), pp 1214-
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Vic Watt, Todd Altic, Daniel Hamilton, and Robert LaBonte. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On March 25, 2012 at 22:30GMT Hal Wolverton wrote:
John is 16 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 46 degrees from Anne Frank, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.