Henry3 Mangum, Sr. (John2, Mangum1) was born about 1718 in Isle of Wight, Virginia, and died 07 May 1795 in Isle of Wight, Virginia. Henry Sr. is listed in Mill Swamp Church Records, along with his children.
An explanation of Henry’s wife and the mother Constant (Jones) Mangum of his children comes in the form of elimination.
Both an Agnes Mangum and Contant Mangum are said to be mentioned in the Mill Swamp Church Records but neither are listed as Henry’s wife. It has further been speculated they were successively his wives, and are recorded as such by most researchers, who include the reference to the church records.
I have not found said church records listing either an Agnes Mangum or a Contant aka "Constance". So I used what I did find in my quest for the wife of Henry Mangum Sr.
The only record of an Agnes Mangum I have found fails to connect her to Henry; listed as follows:
1758--WEATHERS, JOHN Reubin Cook & w. Mary c. son John Feb 26 (b. Jan 2). Gdpts: JOHN WEATHERS, Edward Weaver, Jr. & Agnes Mangum. (APR) Early Weathers and Withers of Virginia--12 Note: Processioning (walking the land, confirming landmarks) was required every four years.
For genealogists, these records show neighbors and in many cases, relatives of ancestors. The records are found in Vestry Book of the relevant Parish.... who had assigned the areas to be processioned, when & by whom.
Simply put this record shows JOHN WEATHERS had Reuben Cook, his wife Mary Cook & child John Cook along with John Weathers, Edward Weaver Jr., & Agnes Mangum All 3 Grandparents of said John Weathers walk his land as witness to the records of said land.
The only record of a Contant Mangum I have found does connect her to Henry. Contant Mangum along with Henry Mangum Sr. and his brother Joseph Mangum signed witness to the Will of Samuel Person. The connection between Joseph Mangum and Contant can be eliminated in the Will of said Joseph Mangum; he leaves a legacy to his wife Lucy; this fact tends to lend to the theory that Contant is likely the wife of Henry Mangum. I have included these wills below;.
WILL OF JOSEPH MANGUM Isle of Wight County, Virginia Will Book 7, page 157.
IN THE NAME OF GOD AMEN. February the 27th, 1762. I Joseph Mangum of the Isle of Wight County being Sick and weak of body but of sound and perfect memory and senses, thanks be unto Almighty God for the same for knowing and considering the deformity of my own nature and that all flesh must yield unto death whenever it shall please God to call for the same, do constitute, make and ordain this my last Will and Testament, in manner and form following.....
- ITEM: I give and bequeath unto my eldest son Micajah Mangum a certain tract of land, all that is on the East side of Mile's Road and my large Musket, to him and his Heirs forever.
- ITEM: I do give to my son Elisha Mangum the manner plantation whereon I now live, with one hundred acres of land thereunto and a gun, and my handmill stones, to him and his heirs forever.
- ITEM: I do give unto my son Josiah Mangum, the remainder part of my land, and one gun, and five pounds cash, to him and his heirs forever.
- ITEM: I do give the remainder part of my estate to my well beloved wife Lucy during her natural life and after her decease to be equally divided amongst all my children. I do nominate and appoint my beloved wife Lucy and my son Micajah Mangum my whole and sole executrix and executor of this my last Will and Testament to Pay my debts and to get what is owing to me, so I rest and witness my hand and seal this 28th day of February Anno Domino 1762.
Jacob Person Henry h Mangum Joseph J Mangum Samuel Person William Davis.
At a Court held for the Isle of Wight County May 6th, 1762. The last Will and Testament of Joseph Mangum Dec'd was presented in Court by Micajah Mangum the Executor therein named who made oath thereto and being proved by the oath of Henry Mangum and William Davis two of the witnesses thereto, is ordered to be recorded..
Henry Mangum Description: Witness Date: 17 Feb 1753 Location: Isle of Wight.
Notes: This probate record was extracted from microfilmed copies of the original Will Book.
THE WILL OF SAMUEL PERSON Isle of Wight Co., VA, Will Book 6, pp. 123-125.
I SAMUEL PERSON of the Isle of Wight County being of perfect scene and memory do institute and ordain this to be my last Will and Testament in manner and form as followeth (Viz). I give to my Cousin SAMUEL PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON one Negro Boy named Peter to him and his Heirs forever. I Give to my Cousin JESSE PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON one Negro Boy named Benn, to him and his Heirs forever. I Give to my Cousin GEORGE GLOVER son of JOHN GLOVER one Negro Boy named Robin to him and his Heirs forever. I Give to my Cousin BENJAMIN HARGRAVE son of JESSE HARGRAVE one Negro Girl named Venus to him and his Heirs forever. I Give to SAMUEL PRETLOW and his Brother JOHN PRETLOW one Negro Man named Sampson he that shall make Choice of the said Negro shall pay half the vallue of the Negro to the other that is half the Negro shall be valued to. I Give to my Cousin JOSEPH PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON one Negro Boy named Jimmy to him and his Heirs forever. I Give to my Cousin JOHN PERSON son of HENRY PERSON one Negro Wench named Hannah and her increase forever. I Give to my Cousin SAMUEL HARGROVE son of SAMUEL HARGRAVE, dec'd one Negro Girl named Molinder and her increase forever. I Give to my Sister MARY GLOVER one Negro Man named Frank and to her Heirs. I Give to my Cousin MARY PERSON Daughter of FRANCIS PERSON one Feather Bed and furniture, two Cows, six pewter Plates, one small Iron pott, one Gilt Trunk. I Give to my Cousin HENRY PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON one feather Bed and furniture and four head of Cattle that shall be vallued to four pounds. I Give to my Cousin GEORGE GLOVER above said one feather Bed and furnitre two Cows and Calves. I Give to my Cousin WILLIAM PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON ten pounds Cash to be paid when demanded after the settling of the above Estate. I Give to my Cousin JAMES PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON one feather Bed and furniture and four head of Cattle that shall be vallued to four pounds, one Iron pott. I Give to my Cousin JACOB PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON Ten pounds Cash and two Cows and Calves. I Give to my Cousin ABSOLOM HOLLOWELL's Daughter Ten pounds Cash to be paid her at the age of Eighteen or married if she shall die before that age, it shall be paid to the next that shall be living at that time. I Give to my Cousin HENRY PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON the Plantation that I now live on and all the Land thereunto belonging to the Heirs of his Body Lawfully begotten and if he shall die without such Heir, it shall return to his brother JESSE and his Heirs. I Give to my Cousin JOHN PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON Ten Pounds Cash and one feather Bed and furniture one Iron pott. I Give to my Cousin SAMUEL PERSON son of FRANCIS PERSON my ___ Water Still and my Young Mare Bridle and Saddle. I Give all the remainder of my Estate both Real and personal equally to be divided between my Cousins hereafter named GEORGE GLOVER, ELIZABETH GLOVER and SARAH GLOVER, JACOB PERSON, SAMUEL PERSON, JESSE PERSON and HENRY PERSON sons of FRANCIS PERSON and MARY PERSON, SARAH PERSON and JESSE HARGRAVES son BENJAMIN. Likewise, I do institute and ordain JORDAN THOMAS and THOMAS PRETLOW to be whole and sole Executor of this my last Will and Testament. Likewise it is my Will and desire that all my Estate not given away to be sold and the money divided as before mentioned. In Witness whereunto I have set my hand and Seal this Seventeenth Day of February 1753. SAMUEL PERSON. Witnesses: JOSEPH MANGUM, HENRY MANGUM, SAMUEL PERSON, CONTANT (her mark) MANGUM. At a Court held for Isle of Wight County October 3rd 1754. (Isle of Wight Co., VA, Will Book 6, pp. 123-125).
The Proven Children of Henry Mangum Sr. (and likely his wife Contant) are:.
1. Henry4 Mangum, Jr., born 14 Oct 1749 in Isle of Wight County, VA; died 19 Jun 1827 in Columbia, Maury Co., TN. He married (1) Sarah Glover in VA.; born Bet. 1747 - 1753 in Isle of Wight, Surry Co., Virginia she is listed in the will of Samuel Person; died Bet. 23 Dec 1776 - 1819. He married (2) Mary Allen/Allin 18 Aug 1819 in Maury County, TN "Tennessee Marriages to 1825".
2. Britain/ Breton Mangum, born 30 Sep 1747 in Isle of Wight County, VA; died Dec 1782 in Isle Of Wright, Virginia will R. 5 Dec 1782. He married Keziah.
Note; Britain Mangum has been listed incorrectly as married to Elizabeth Glover sister of Sarah Glover, their mother’s Will includes them as Elizabeth Mangum and Sarah Mangum. The record following proves Britain’s wife;.
Surry County, Virginia, Deeds and Estate Accounts 1757-1786 by William Lindsay Hopkins, page 71.
p. 500) 23 Dec 1776... Henry Mangum and wife, Sarah Mangrum, and Britian Mangum and wife, Kezia Mangrum, to Thomas Turner... 180 acres on the west side of Mill Swamp and bounded by Bramley Hart, Joel Thompson and William Carter. Wt: Joel Thompson, William Phillips, Jesse Holloway and Richard Rowell. Rec: 28 Jan 1777 Henry MangumSarah (X) Mangum Britian (X) Mangum Keziah (X) Mangum".
This information about Keziah was shared with me by a fellow researcher named Betty;
Thanks to her research, Keziah is now known to be wife of Britain Mangum. .
3. Cathron Mangum, born 20 Sep 1746 in Isle of Wight County, VA..
4. Richard Mangum, born 06 Nov 1751 in Isle of Wight County, VA; died Bef. Jun 1795 in will drawn 11 Apr. proved 6 Jul 1795. He married Mourning. Mourning married 2nd John Ward by 1801..
Mangam, Richard, Isle of Wight Co, 1795, Will Book vol 10, 1785-1796, Reel 26 p. 348. Inv. & appr. rec. 6 Jul 1795 p. 365-367, accounts ren 5 Oct 1795..
5. Ann Mangum, born 25 Apr 1753 in Isle of Wight County, VA; died 1790. She married Unknown Jones..
6. Samuel Mangum, born 12 May 1756 in Isle of Wight County, VA; died 24 Jan 1827 in Isle of Wight County, VA. He married Rebecca Cotton 15 Nov 1779 in Sussex Co., Virginia "Virginia Marriages"; born 29 Mar 1756 in Virginia Christening: 9 MAY 1756. Listed in the 1782 Sussex Co., VA Census, pg 45 of the Continental Census..
7. John Mangum, born 20 Jul 1758 in Isle of Wight County, VA..
8. Honour Mangum, born 23 Sep 1760 in Isle of Wight County, VA..
9. Hearty (Hannah) Mangum, born 02 May 1762 in Isle of Wight County, VA; died 1795. She married Lewis Chapman..
10. Martha Mangum, born 21 Jun 1765 in Isle of Wight County, VA. She married James Carrell 17 Dec 1789 in Sussex County, Virginia..
11. Goodrich Mangum, born 17 Mar 1768 in Isle of Wight County, VA; died Aft. 1850 in Blount, TN. He married Mary; born 1768 in NC; died in Blount, TN.
Ancestry.com, Public Member Trees (Name: The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA; Date: 2006;), Database online.. Record for Henry Mangum http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=0&pid=91368784.
- ↑ http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/118144/person/-2114899842/storyx/0ee8153d-c8dd-487c-a5d0-6eafc3bf5113?src=search&ftm=1
- ↑ Entered by Darrell Abbey.
Thanks to Darrell Abbey for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Darrell and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Henry's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.