Cymraeg: Madog ap Maredudd, brenin of Powys English: Madog ap Maredudd, king of Powys
Madog was the son of Maredudd ap Bleddyn ap Cynfyn.
Madog married Susanna, chwaer (daughter of) Owain Gwynedd.
To combat the advances into his territory by Owain Gwynedd, king of Gwynedd, Madog allied firstly and unsuccessfully with Ranulf, earl of Chester, and later successfully with Henry II, king of England.
Madog died in 1160 and he was buried in the mother church of Powys, St Tysillio at Melfod. His dominions were divided among his sons and nephews: Gruffydd Maelor I, Owain Fychan, Owain Brogyntyn, and Owain Cyfeiliog.
The leading poets of the day sang Madog's praises and he was enshrined in the prose romances of his day.
1025 Bleddyn ap Cynfyn (obit 1075).
. 1065 Maredudd (obit 1132)
.. 1098 Madog (obit 1160)
... 1130 Gruffudd Maelor I ap Madog (obit 1191)
.... 1160 Madog ap Gruffydd Maelor (obit 1236)
..... 1195 Gruffudd Maelor II (obit 1269)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Jones Pierce, MA. FSA, Professor Thomas, "MADOG ap MAREDUDD", Welsh Biography Online", http://wbo.llgc.org.uk/en/s-MADO-APM-1160.html, accessed 17 September 2014
- ↑ Mike Ashley, The Mammoth Book of British Kings and Queens
- ↑ The Ancestry of Owain Glyndŵr Ancient Wales Studies, by Darrell Wolcott.
- ↑ Lloyd, p. 209, retrieved 2014-06-21, amb
- Jacob Youde William Lloyd, The History of Powys Fadog, Volume 5 of The History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher, and the Ancient Nobility of Powys Fadog, and the Ancient Lords of Arwystli, Cedewen, and Meirionydd, The History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher, and the Ancient Nobility of Powys Fadog, and the Ancient Lords of Arwystli, Cedewen, and Meirionydd. Publisher: T. Richards, 1885. Original: from Harvard University. Digitized: Aug 10, 2007
- My Family File.ged on 19 May 2010
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Madog, King's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Bob Carson, Katherine Patterson, Michelle Brooks, Anonymous S, Wendy Hampton, Elizabeth Ross, Richard Ragland, Katherine Wall, and Jeffrey Davidson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.