This person was part of the Puritan Great Migration.
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Puritan Great Migration Project!
John Bullard's first wife, Magdalene Martyn, was born on January 29, 1607 in Barnham, Suffolk, England. Her parents were John Martyn and, probably, Anne Hosmer. She married John Bullard in Massachusetts in 1639. Magdalene died January 29, 1661 in Medfield, Norfolk, Mass.)
"Mostly New England" gives the following note: "BULLARD GENFORUM: Nancy I'm not an expert on the Bullards by any means, but I seem to have become a crusader to correct a misreading of a chart in Bullard and Allied Familes. John Bullard, son of William Buller and Grace Bignett, was married to Magdalen Martyn, not Magdalene George. "Magdalene George" appears to be a fictitious person created by the running together of Magdalen and her brother-in-law George's name on a chart. In fact, I was led to her correct name by a letter in this forum. Unfortunately I can't locate the certifying information I had found (and I thought I was being so careful!). Her name is Magdalen Martyn. Everyone calls her Magdalen George, and the only reason I can think of is a chart in the book BULLARD AND ALLIED FAMILIES in which her name is so close to that of her husband's brother George that it all runs together! [For chart image, see this profile's primary photo. An explanation may be found in the photo's comment section.] Of course, once this happens it gets repeated and repeated. The Bullard forums that I have seen with recent research all list Magdalen's name as Martyn."
Her first name has also been misspelled in various ways. Some sources say she is Magdalene Martyn, some say Magdalene Martin and some say Magdalene George... One gives Magdalene George Marytin. A few give Magdalene George-Martyn. Several of the the sources list the name as Magdalene Madelin George Martyn. A couple other sources give "Magdalene\Ellen EICKERMAN (MARTYN)". A few more simply Magdalene George Martyn. "Madelin" sounds like a corruption of Magdalene. "Ellen Dickerman" was a second wife of husband John Bullard.
- Plummer, John, "The Martyn Wives of Robert and John Bullard," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 146, 1992, 279-.
- Stutt, Clifford L. and Myrtle Stevens Hyde, "The English Bullard Family Revisited," New England Historical and Genealogical Register 154, 2000, 172 -.
- [Bullard and allied families]; the American ancestors of George Newton Bullard and Mary Elizabeth Bullard. Edgar J. Bullard. Detroit, 1930.
- [Vital Records of Medfield, Massachusetts]. NEHGS, Boston, 1903.
- Ancestral File Number: 9J45-1N
- http://wiki.abulsme.com/Magdalene_Martyn Contains extensive primary and secondary source citations.
- ↑ Since the publication of Bullards and Allied Families, there has been confusion about Magdalene's maiden name. A pedigree chart in that book made it appear that her name was Magdalen George by juxtaposing her first name and that of her brother-in-law, George. See further explanation and an image of the chart here: http://www.wikitree.com/photo/jpg/George-68.
- ↑ There is a question as to whether Magdalene's mother was Agnes Wright or Anne Hosmer. Online family histories are about equally divided between the two possibilities. There is evidence that a John Martyn did marry an Agnes Wright about that time, but in another part of England. Given evidence for both possibilities, I chose Anne because of the tradition of naming the first male child after the father and the first female after the mother. In this family, the first child was a boy named after his father, John, and the second was a girl named Anne, making it reasonable to suppose that her mother was also named Anne. Carole Partridge 1/24/14
- ↑ Alternate dates of death: Jan 29, 1662; Nov 29, 1661. "Bullerd (see Bullard)... Madgdaline, Nov. 29, 1661." Medfield Vital Records, Deaths, p. 198.
- Created through the import of Latest Sheldon Hart.GED on 30 August 2010.
- Created through the import of grant2.ged on 07 February 2011.
- George-743 created through the import of Partridge Family Tree.ged on Jun 17, 2011 by Paul Patridge.
- George-1118 created through the import of Callahan, Wiley, Plotner, Powell Family Tree - 2009.ged on Dec 2, 2011 by Ron Callahan.
- George-1146 created through the import of Winn.ged on Dec 20, 2011 by Elizabeth S.
- George-1150 created through the import of Mears Family Tree as Oct 200.ged on Dec 24, 2011 by David Mears.
- Thank you to Barbara Corley, G. Knudsen, Louie Johnson,and all who contributed to this profile.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Magdalene's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Carole Partridge, Bob Fields, Ron Callahan, Louie Johnson, and Elizabeth S. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.