- Mary (McClain) Walter's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Interred at Germantown Bethel Cemetery, Cascade, Frederick County, MD .
Daughters Leila and Beulah were children of Mary Jane and her first husband, James M. Masters. Following her first husband's death, Mary Jane married Felix M. Walter, and they became the parents of Lawrence, Nina, Lucille, Helen, Sidney, and Margaret. Leila and Beulah were half-sisters of each of the children of Mary Jane and Felix.
There were, in addition, four step-children who would have shared the same household. John W. Walter, Paul Walter, Mary Agnes Walter, and Mary Lucy Walter were children of Felix M. Walter and his first wife, Mary L. Warthen. These four were step-siblings of Leila and Beulah and half-siblings of each of the children of Mary Jane and Felix.
Text of obituary :
"Mrs. Mary Jane Walter, aged 69 years, widow of Felix M. Walter, died Friday evening at 7:45 o'clock at the home of her son, Lawrence Walter, near Highfield, after a lingering illness of the last six years. Death was due to diabetes. She had been critically ill since June 3.
"Mrs. Walter was born near Sabillasville, Md., the daughter of John and Sarah Rebecca (Cline) McClain and lived practically her entire life in the Blue Ridge Summit section. Her husband died in 1925.
"She was a member of the St. Stephens Reformed Church at Highfield.
"Surviving are the six daughters and one son: Mrs. Guernon Barton, Blue Ridge Summit; Mrs. Louis Cunningham, Altoona; Mrs. Angelo Kary, Baltimore; Mrs. Carl Ritzinger, Collingdale, Pa.; Mrs. Robert Gettings, Baltimore; Mrs. Mervin Zimmerman, Chadds Ford, Pa.; Lawrence Walter, Blue Ridge Summit; and three step-children John Walter, Emmitsburg; Paul Walter, Baltimore and Miss Agnes Walter, Blue Ridge Summit. Eleven grandchildren, two sisters, Mrs. D. C. Flohr, Blue Ridge Summit and Mrs. H. E. Zeigler, Mill Valley, California and two brothers, William McClain, Baltimore and John McClain, Collingsville. Pa., also survive.
"The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon from St. Stephens Reformed Church, Highfield at 2:30 o'clock in charge of the Rev. Darwin X. Gass. Interment will be made in Bethel cemetery.
"The body may be viewed this evening between the hours of 7 and 9 o'clock at the Grove Funeral Home and also at the church Sunday from 2 until 2:30 p. m."
[There is some additional private information, available to family members, regarding the lineage of Mary Jane (McClain) Walter (aka Masters) and James M. Masters and Felix M. Walter. That data is compiled in the family Descendants Charts that supplement these profiles.]
2. [N01] Frederick (MD) Post, obituary, Tuesday 26 Jul 1938. (Accessed 06 Apr 2012.)
3. [N03] Waynesboro (PA) Record Herald, obituary, Saturday 23 Jul 1938, p6.
5. [D01] U.S. 1930 Census (Mary J. Walter). Residence, East Lansdowne, Delaware County, PA. Age 60, widowed, born PA, father born MD, mother born PA. Able to read and write, Yes. Occupation, None. In household of step-daughter Mary A. Walter (33), with daughter Helen E. Walter (23), daughter Margaret C. Walter (18), daughter Lucille M. Zimmerman (25), son-in-law Mervin Zimmerman (25), and granddaughter Doris M. Zimmerman (2). (Accessed 14 Jul 2013.)
6. [D01] U.S. 1920 Census (Mary J. Walter). Residence, Ringgold, Washington County, MD, Election District 14, Highfield Road. Age 49, married, born PA, father born PA, mother born PA. Able to read, Yes. Able to write, Yes. In household of husband "Phelix" (67), with daughter Nina E. (16), daughter Lucille M. (14), son Sidney E. (10), daughter Margaret (8), and daughter Helen E. (2). (Accessed 14 Jul 2013.)
7. [D01] U.S. 1910 Census (Mary "Walters"). Residence, Washington County, MD, Election District 14. Age 40, married (second, 9 years), born PA, father born PA, mother born MD. Able to read, Yes. Able to write, Yes. Occupation, Keeper (Boarding House). Mother of 7 children, 7 living. In household of husband Felix M. "Walters" (56), with daughter Beulah Masters (17), son John "Walters" (18), son Paul "Walters" (16), daughter Agnes "Walters" (15), son Lawrence "Walters" (7), daughter Nina "Walters" (6), daughter Lucy "Walters" (4), daughter Helen "Walters" (3), and son Sidney "Walters" (2). (Accessed 09 Jul 2013.)
8. [D01] U.S. 1900 Census (Mary J. Masters). Residence, Washington Township, District 1, Franklin County, PA. Age 30, widowed, born MD (Aug 1869), father born MD, mother born MD. Able to read, Yes. Able to write, Yes. Occupation, Day Laborer. Mother of 2 children, 2 living. Own home, no mortgage. Head of household, with daughter Leila (10), daughter Beulah (7), father John McClain Sr. (54), and brother John E. McClain (20). (Enumerated 01 Jun 1900. Accessed 26 Jan 2015.)
9. [D06] Maryland Marriages, 1666-1970. Marriage of Mary J. McClain to James M. Masters, 16 Oct 1890, Saint Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church, Hagerstown, Washington County, MD. (Accessed 31 Aug 2013. No image available.)
10. [D01] U.S. 1880 Census (J. Mary McClain). Residence, Hauvers District (No. 10), Frederick County, MD. Age 11, single, born MD, father born MD, mother born MD. Occupation, At home. In household of parents John (34) and Rebecca McClain (29), with sister E. Susan (10), brother S. William (3), sister B. Rosa (1), and boarder F. Henry Williar (24). (Enumerated 22 Jun 1880. Accessed 26 Jan 2015.)
11. [D01] U.S. 1870 Census (Mary J. "McLain"). Residence, Hauvers District, Frederick County, MD, Post Office, Mechanicstown. Age 1, single, born MD. In household of John "McLain" (25), with Rebecca "McLain" (20) and Susanna "McLain" (4/12). (Enumerated 22 Jul 1870. Accessed 26 Jan 2015.)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Mary by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share significant DNA:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.