Categories: Oakville, Ontario.
- Do you have any biographical info to add? Do you have any photos that are relevant to the person featured in this profile? Please contact one of the managers (listed above) to help assist posting info or photos to this page.
- 1842 Upper Canada Census - Trafalgar Twp., Gore County, Ontario
- William McCleary, Weaver - Number of years in the Province 8 (1836); 7 family members from Ireland; Number in family 7; 1 person 14-18y; 1 person 18-21y; 1 person 30-59y; 1 male 21-29; 1 female 14-44
- William McCleary Jr. would have been one of the unnamed occupants, and one of the people listed as emigrating from Ireland in 1836.
- William MaClaray -- 60 -- 1762, Farmer, born Ireland, Church of Scotland, 1 story log house.
- Sarah MaClaray -- 50 -- 1802, born Ireland
- Matilda Maclaray -- 18 -- 1834, born Ireland
- William Maclaray -- 24 -- 1828, born Ireland
- Alexander Maclaray -- 21 -- 1831, born Ireland
- (listed as a 1 story frame house a few properties down from the McCleary's, on the same Census page.)
- Edward Cornwall -- 51 -- 1803, born Ireland, Farmer, Church of England
- Ellen Cornwall -- 54 -- 1799, born Scotland, Church of England
- Cornwall, Edward , Farmer, Male, Age 50, Birth Place: Ireland, Religion: Church of England, Anglican, Living in Trafalgar Township, 1851, division 1, page 52
- 1861 Census - Halton, Twp of Trafalgar, District # 3,
- William McClary Sen. -- 64 -- 1797, b. Ireland, Widowed, Labourer, 1 story log house
- ---Same Page---
- William McClary Jr. -- 1828, b. Ireland, Married, 1 and 1/2 story log house
- Ann McClary -- 28 -- 1833, b. Ireland, Married
- Alex McClary -- 5 -- 1865, b. Upper Canada
- Sarah H. McClary -- 4 -- 1857, b. Upper Canada
- Wm. McClary -- 2 -- 1859, b. Upper Canada
- 1871 Census - Trafalgar, Halton, Ontario
- William Mc Cleary - 43 (1828) B. Ireland; Farmer
- Eliza Mc Cleary - 30 (1841) B. Ireland;
- Alexander Mc Cleary - 14 (1857) B. Ontario
- Sarah Mc Cleary - 13 (1858) B. Ontario
- William Mc Cleary - 10 (1861) B. Ontario
- Joseph Mc Cleary - 8 (1863) B. Ontario
- Thomas Mc Cleary - 4 (1867) B. Ontario
- Crawford Mc Cleary - 2 (1869) B. Ontario
- Mary Mc Cleary - 5 months (1870) B. Ontario
- 1891 Census - Nelson, Halton, Ontario
- William Mccleary - 64 (1827) B. Ireland; Church of England; Farmer
- Eliza Mccleary - 54 (1837) B. Ireland; Presbyterian
- Thomas Mccleary - 23 (1868) B. Ontario; Presbyterian; Farmer
- Crawford Mccleary - 21 (1870) B. Ontario; Presbyterian; Farmer
- Ruth Mccleary - 19 (1872) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Annie Mccleary - 17 (1873) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Cyrus Mccleary - 14 (1877) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- C Allen Mccleary - 12 (1879) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- 1901 Census  - Trafalgar, Halton, Ontario
- William McClary - 75 (July 17, 1825) B. Ireland; Immigrated: 1832
- Eliza McClary - 63 (April 15, 1838) B. Ireland; Immigrated: 1847
- 1911 Census  - Trafalgar, Halton, Ontario
- Jos Mc Clary - 48 (Dec 1862) B. Ontario; Anglican
- Annie Mc Clary - 47 (April 1864) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Ethel Mc Clary - 20 (Jan 1891) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Milton Mc Clary - 18 (Sept 1892) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Hazel Mc Clary - 15 (Oct 1895) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Roy Mc Clary - 13 (Jan 1898) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Violet Mc Clary - 11 (March 1900) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Daisy Mc Clary - 9 (May 1902) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- Gladys Mc Clary - 5 (April 1906) B. Ontario; Presbyterian
- William Mc Clary - 90 (Jun 1821) B. Ireland; Year of Immigration: 1831; Presbyterian
- Death of William McCleary
- Date: April 28, 1912
- Place: Trafalgar Twp, Ontario
- Cause: Old Age, Senile degeneration lasting 6 months
- Birthdate: June 17, 1819 (Census shows this date to be 10y premature)
- Birth Place: Ireland
- Informant: Joseph McCleary, Sheridan
- Knox Sixteen Presbyterian Cemetery , Oakville, ON, Canada
- Link to Cemetery info: http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/ON/ONK11302/
- Names seems to be spelled "McClarey" in 1901 Census
- A son was born to Wm. McClary and Eliza Edmondson but had not been given a name at the time of registration for 13 March, 1881 and was documented as "Not Named Male" - McClary
- Graeme MacKay, firsthand knowledge. Click the Changes tab for the details of edits by Graeme and others.
- ↑ Entered by Graeme MacKay, Mar 26, 2012
- ↑ "Canada, Upper Canada Census, 1842," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KDRN-3LB : accessed 26 Jan 2013), Edward Cornwall, 1842
- ↑ 1852 Census; Twp of Trafalgar, Halton County, District 1, 6th to 11th concessions from lot 1 to 17; website: http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SplitView.jsp?id=7523
- ↑ 1871; Census Place: Trafalgar, Halton, Ontario; Roll: C-9955; Page: 21; Family No: 78. (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M435-6HM : accessed 6 April 2012)
- ↑ 1891, 7, April; Census Place: Nelson, Halton, Ontario; Roll: T-6341; Family No: 12. (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MWL9-NC7 : accessed 6 April 2012)
- ↑ 1901; Census Place: Trafalgar, Halton, Ontario,http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/DisplayHousehold.jsp?sdid=2684&household=37
- ↑ 1911; Census Place: Trafalgar, Halton, Ontario; Schedule 1 Microfilm T-6471; Page: 8; Family No: 76.
- ↑ Archives of Ontario. Registrations of Deaths, 1869-1938. MS 935, reels 1-615 (reel 175). Archives of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.Registration #011323
On April 6, 2012 Graeme MacKay wrote:
- ALEX Sr. – Well, Uh Ken McCleary, that’s young Ken McCleary’s father, he was a second cousin of mine. His father…
- LOIS – Grandfather…
- ALEX Sr. – His grandfather -- yeah his father, his father was Crawford? McCleary, and Crawford? McCleary was a brother of my grandmother Cornwall. I think that’s the relation there, Lois?
- LOIS – That’s right.
- ALEX Jr. – I remember Ken and I used to go over behind the dairy to look at the horses too. ‘Cause that was a little later. That must’ve been around 1946 or ’47.
- LOIS – Ken was a great joker. I told you about Ken and how he’d used to tease the receptionist in his dairy and he had this little – I hope it’s not being recorded – but he had this little plastic thing, you know the dog and lap…
- ALEX Sr. – A jobby…
- LOIS -- Yeah
- ALEX Jr. – I remember that it was curled and round.
- LOIS – Yes, it was…
- ALEX Sr. – To a point…
- LOIS – And this Miss, what ever her name was…
- ALEX Sr. – Leatherdale.
- LOIS – Leatherdale, in the dairy, she was so meticulous, and Ken would go and put it down on the floor in front of the powder, and she would say “those people coming in with their darn dogs, and she’d rush out and get the dust pan and throw it on Ken and every place he could put it he’d tease people with it. Oh, he was a lot of fun.
- ALEX Jr. – Well, did he own the dairy?
- ALEX Sr. – Ken McCleary, and he had his partner Grady, they both started the Runnymede Dairy, and then of course, Ken died latterly, Grady died too. Grady never married.
- LOIS – But then they had friends along Runnymede Road and their name was Bumstead.
- ALEX Sr. – Yeah. Oh we had a lot of fun, I went fishing with them two or three different times.
- LOIS – I nearly died every time you went with them.
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Graeme MacKay, Kathy Vance, and Patricia McKee. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On September 29, 2013 at 18:09GMT Kathy Vance wrote:
On September 22, 2013 at 16:16GMT Kathy Vance wrote:
William Mc Cleary - 43 (1828) B. Ireland; Farmer Eliza Mc Cleary - 30 (1841) B. Ireland; Alexander Mc Cleary - 14 (1857) B. Ontario Sarah Mc Cleary - 13 (1858) B. Ontario William Mc Cleary - 10 (1861) B. Ontario Joseph Mc Cleary - 8 (1863) B. Ontario Thomas Mc Cleary - 4 (1867) B. Ontario Crawford Mc Cleary - 2 (1869) B. Ontario Mary Mc Cleary - 5 months (1870