Categories: Hatfield and McCoy Family Feud.
|Tolbert McCoy was a member of the Hatfield and McCoy Family Feud 1863-1891|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the Hatfield and McCoy Project!
Tolbert McCoy was born on June 16, 1854 in Pike County, Kentucky, United States, the son of Randolph McCoy Sr. and Sarah McCoy
Tolbert married Mary Butcher on March 3, 1881 in Pike County, Kentucky
On August 9, 1882, Tolbert was executed by the Hatfields along with his brothers Pharmer and Randolph McCoy, Jr. in retaliation for the murder of Ellison Hatfield. Ellison was the younger brother of Hatfield patriarch, William Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield.
At Election Day on August 7, 1882, in Blackberry Creek, Tolbert McCoy got into a heated argument with a Hatfield cousin, Elias Hatfield. Ellison Hatfield got involved and Tolbert wound up stabbing Ellison. Ellison was also shot once and was mortally wounded.
The three McCoy brothers were arrested but intercepted by the Hatfields before being taken into Pikeville for trial. Devil Anse claimed he was going to hold the boys prisoner himself in an old schoolhouse on Mate Creek, Logan County, West Virginia and would decide their fate depending on Ellison's recovery.
Ellison died on August 9th and the boys were taken by the Hatfields across the Tug River into Kentucky. He then ordered them to be shot. Randolph McCoy would find his boys bullet riddled bodies, still tied to the bushes, on August 10th.
Sarah's testimony at the trial of Cotton Top Hatfield:
- Tolbert was shot twice in the head, three to four times in the body. Pharmer was shot in the head and ten to eleven times in the body and the top of Bud's head was shot off and was down on his knees hanging on to the bushes. Tolbert had one arm over his face. Tolbert was 21, Pharmer 19 and Randall(Bud) 15 years old. They were hauled home on a sled and buried in one coffin.
- Find A Grave Memorial for Tolbert McCoy
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Tolbert's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.