This profile is managed by USER GROUP. We need one manager to take primary responsibility for each profile. Please do not remove this notice or "Category" tags within the bio of this profile. Management rights and/or trusted status may be terminated per policy. Please click here for more details. Alvis-9
About Ealhswith of the Gaini, Queen of the Anglo-Saxons Ealhswith, or Ealswitha, (born c. 852 in Mercia) of the Gaini was the daughter of Æthelred Mucil, Ealdorman of the Gaini. She was married in 868, to Alfred the Great, king of Wessex. The children of Alfred and Ealhswith included Edward the Elder, later king of Wessex, Ælfthryth, who married Baldwin II, Count of Flanders, and Æthelflæd, who ruled as Lady of the Mercians.
After Alfred's death in 899, Ealhswith became a nun. She died on 5 December 905, and is buried in St. Mary's Abbey, Winchester, Hampshire.
Also ref. History of the Anglo-Saxons (1831) by Sir Francis Palgrave for more details on her husband Alfred the Great. --------------------
Sources1. Journal of the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, Chobham, Surrey, U.K., volume 1, issue 6, page 407. Hereinafter cited as Foundation for Medieval Genealogy.
2. Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 9. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Family. 3. [E. B. Fryde, D. E. Greenway, S. Porter and I. Roy, editors, Handbook of British Chronology, 3rd edition (London, U.K.: Royal Historical Society, 1986), page 24. Hereinafter cited as Handbook of British Chronology. 4. G. S. P. Freeman-Grencville, The Queen's Lineage: from A.D. 495 to the Silver Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (London , U.K.: Rex Collings, 1977), page 4. Hereinafter cited as The Queen's Lineage. 5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ealhswith_av_Mercia
Ealhswith (or Ealswitha) of the Gaini was born c. 852 in Mercia. Her name means "Temple strength".
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Ealhswith's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Living Harder, Steve VanderLeest, Darrell Parker, Jeff Kenner, Katherine Wall, and Carl Tanner. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.