- Bilichildis Merovingian's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Disputed Existence.
Brubaker & Smith (2004), and Cawley (2006), call the existence of Blithildis into question. She may be a late-8th century (or after) fabriction by the Carolingians to claim Merovingian descent. Settipani, however, believes some primary sources suggest that reconstructions of Ansbert's family may, *in part*, be based on historical fact. But this in itself, does not resolve the identity of any spouse. Brubaker & Smith (2004), further state that no 7th century document names a Merovingian princess by the name of Blithildis.
Some fanciful reconstructions of her parents are:
- Clotair I (Chlothachar), King of the Franks and Ingundis (Ingonde)
- Lothar II
- Clotaire I and Waldrada
- (disputed) Arnoldum
Brubaker, L. & Smith, J.M.H. (2004). "Pippinid wives." Gender in the Early Medieval World: East and West, 300-900. Cambridge University Press. eBook. Citing:
- Commenmoratio genealogiae domni Karoli gloriosissimi imperatoris (9th century)
- Genealogia regum Francorum (citing Commenmoratio genealogiae domni ...)
- Blithildis genuit Arnaldum ex Ansberto illustri viro
|European Aristocrats Source|
|Our main source for medieval genealogy in the European Aristocrats Project is the FMG database MEDIEVAL LANDS: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families by Charles Cawley,© Foundation for Medieval Genealogy & Charles Cawley, 2000-2015.|
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Liber Historiæ Francorum
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Carmen de Exordio Gentis Francorum
- ↑ Chronico Marcianensi de Sancta Rictrude; "chronologically impossible if she was the grandmother of Arnoul Bishop of Metz" (Cawley, 2006)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Bilichildis's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Chris Hamilton, Bob Fields, Ted Williams, Carl Tanner, Jeff Johnson, Rhidian Harrington, and Ron Timbrook. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On March 24, 2014 at 15:47GMT Bob Fields wrote:
Bilichildis is 37 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 39 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 50 degrees from Gene Kelly, 43 degrees from Bram Stoker and 35 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.