- Adeliza (Meschines) de Condet's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Alice (Adeliza) de Meschines, of Chester b: - after 1139 Daughter of Ranulph II de Briquessart "le Meschin" de Bayeux, count of Chester, and Lucy Thoroldsdottir, Countess of Chester:
Wife of Richard (Clare) de Clare * — married before 1116 Wife of Robert (Condet) de Condet — married April 1137
m [firstly] RICHARD FitzGilbert de Clare, son of GILBERT FitzRichard Lord of Clare and his wife Adelais de Roucy (-killed in battle near Abergavenny 15 Apr 1136, bur Gloucester).
m secondly ROGER de Condé [Cundet], d -10 Oct [1139/45]
Richard de Clare and his wife Alice had ten children:
1. GILBERT (-[1152/53], bur Clare Priory). Guillaume de Jumièges names (in order) "Gilbert et ses frères" as the three sons of Richard & his wife. He was created Earl of Hertford in . The Annals of Tewkesbury record that “comes de Clare” died in 1153. Robert of Torigny records the death in 1153 of "Gislebertus filius Ricardi" and his burial "apud Claram".
2. ROGER (-1173). Robert of Torigny records that "Rogerius frater eius" succeeded on the death in 1153 of "Gislebertus filius Ricardi". He succeeded his brother in 1153 as Earl of Hertford.
3. GODFREY de Clare (-young, bur Stoke-by-Clare Priory.
4. ADELISA de Tonbridge (-before 1166). “Mathildis de Percy comitissa de Warwic, filia Willielmi de Perci” donated property to Sawley abbey, for the souls of “…patris mei Willielmi de Percy et Adalidis de Tunbrige matris meæ…”, by undated charter. The reference to Tonbridge suggests that she may have been a member of the Clare family. If this is correct, the chronology suggests that she would have been the daughter of Richard FitzGilbert. “Willielmus de Percy” donated property to Sawley abbey, with the consent of “Adelidæ uxoris meæ et Alani hæredis mei”, by undated charter, witnessed by “…Roberto de Percy…”. m as his first wife, WILLIAM de Percy, son of ALAN de Percy and his wife Emma de Gant [1174/75]).
5. RICHARD (-1190). m as her first husband, ALINE Lady of Sampford, daughter and heiress of GEOFFREY FitzBaldwin & his wife Alice ---. She married secondly Hugh de Clohale.
6. ROHESE de Clare A manuscript genealogy of the Gant family records that “Gilbertus”, son of “Walterus”, married “Roesiam comitissam Lincolniæ”, adding that she married secondly "Roberto dapifero" by whom she was mother of "Roesia de Bulington nupta Simoni de Kyma". m firstly GILBERT de Gand Earl of Lincoln, son of WALTER de Gand & his wife Matilda de Penthièvre [Bretagne] (Bridlington -1156, bur [Bridlington Priory]). m secondly ([1157/63]) ROBERT FitzRobert, son of ROBERT FitzFulk and his wife ---. Dapifer of William de Percy.
7. AGNES de Clare . Her parentage and marriage are confirmed by the charter dated to [1184/85] under which “Aliz de Gant comitissa filia Gilberti de Gant” confirmed land held by his ancestors in Barton (upon-Humber) to “Roberto Scrop de Barton, filio Ricardi Scrop et filio Agnetis matertere mee”. m RICHARD Scrope of Barton, Lincolnshire, son of --- (-before 1166).
8. ALICE de Clare . m CADWALADR ap Gruffydd of Gwynedd, son of GRUFFYDD ap Cynan King of Gwynedd and his wife Angharad of Deheubarth (-Mar 1172).
9. LUCY de Clare (-after 1155). Domesday Descendants cites a charter under which “Lucy” donated property to Stoke-by-Clare priory for the souls of her husband Earl Baldwin and Earl Gilbert, endorsed “Carta de comitissa de Clara”, suggesting her marriage and parentage as shown here. m as his second wife, BALDWIN de Reviers Earl of Devon, son of RICHARD Seigneur de Reviers and his wife Adelise Peverel (-4 Jun 1155, bur Quarr Abbey).
Robert de CONDET m: 1137
i) Roger de CONDET was born 1138 and died 1201. ii) Robert de CONDET was born 1139 in South Carlton, Lincolnshire. iii) Isabel de CONDET was born 1141.
Guillaume de Jumièges records that Richard [FitzGilbert de Clare] married "la sœur de Ranulfe le jeune comte de Chester". The History of Gloucester St Peter records the confirmation by "Ranulphus comes Cestriæ" of the donation of "molendinum de Taddewelle" by "Alicia soror eius" for the soul of "Ricardi filii Gilberti viri sui". “Rics filius Gilebi” donated lands in Hawkedon, Suffolk to the abbey of St Edmunds, with the consent of “Rogs…filius me…et coiux mea Xpiana”, by undated charter.
This charter is attributed to Richard FitzGilbert in Collectanea Topographica et Genealogica and dated to 1154, which must be incorrect in view of Richard´s recorded death in 1136. The reference to his wife´s name as Christiana cannot be explained. It does not appear that Richard married twice, assuming that the sources quoted here are accurate. The extract from the History of Gloucester St Peter suggests that his wife “Alice of Chester” survived her husband, while the St Edmunds charter shows that “Christiana” was alive after Richard´s son Roger was old enough to consent to the donation.
She was rescued from the Welsh by Miles of Gloucester. A charter of Henry Duke of Normandy dated [1153/early Apr 1154] relates to donations to Gloucester by "Ranulphi comitis Cestrie…[et] Alis sororis eiusdem comitis" for the soul of "Ricardi filii Gilberti viri sui"". It is not clear from the document how long before the date of the charter these donations were made.
She brought lands in Northampton and Lincoln as her marriage portion.
She was captured at Abergavenny by the Welsh when her husband was slain, 15 Apr 1136; rescued by Miles of Gloucester.
She made gifts to the monks of St. Peters, Gloucester for the soul of her husband: "... confirmation by Henry II ("Henricus rex Angliae et dux Normanniae et Aquitanniae et comes Andegaviae...") of the prior charter, having to do with the gift of the mill at Olney and that at 'Taddeswell'. This confirmation reads in part, "Praecipio quod sine dilatione et juste faciatis habere abbati et monachis de Gloucestria' quos comes Ranulfus eis dedit in molendinis de Olneyo et de Taddeswelle, sicut carta testatur."
- Cokayne, George Edward, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant (London: St. Catherine Press, 1910.), 3:243, 7:672
- Sanders, Ivor John, English Baronies: A Study of Their Origin and Descent, 1086-1327 (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1960.), p. 35 note 1
- Nichols, John Gough (Editor), "The Earldom of Lincoln," The Topographer and Genealogist, Vol. 1 (1846) (London: Society of Antiquaries, 1846-1858.), p. 17
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, The Magna Charta Sureties, 1215 (5th ed., Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999.), pp. 153-2, Los Angeles Public Library, 929.273 W426 1999.
- Gen-Medieval archives - 22 Oct 2004 posting of Therav3@aol.com re: Descent from Richard III of Normandy to Jane Lowe (Grey of Sandiacre)
- Rodney Timbrook Ancestors and Relatives_2010-09-10.ged on 10 September 2010.
- 104-B.ged 12 September 2010.
- MASTER2011WIKITREE.GED on 27 January 2011.
- Sheppard_Duncan_Bickham_Stroud.ged on 01 February 2011.
- Acrossthepond.ged on 21 February 2011.
- Rose Family Tree.ged on 21 March 2011.
- LJ Pellman Consolidated Family_2011-03-21.ged on 21 March 2011.
- Stout - Trask - Cowan .ged 19 April 2011.
- Holmes.ged on 20 May 2011.
- Nelson Family Tree.ged on Jun 6, 2011 by Gregory Nelson.
- Steele Family Tree.ged on Jun 7, 2011 by Jeff Steele.
- heinakuu2011-6.ged on Jul 5, 2011 by Johanna Amnelin.
- SRW 7th July 2011.ged on Jul 7, 2011 by Stephen Wilkinson.
- Ed_s tree_2008-10-18_2011-07-29.ged on Jul 29, 2011 by Alexis Connolly.
- My Family_2011-08-21.ged on Aug 21, 2011 by Kate G.
- Grant_David_Meadors_2008-02-17.ged on Sep 18, 2011 by Grant Meadors.
- Spencer Family Tree 4 2002.GED on Nov 28, 2011 by Chet Spencer.
- FORTH Family Tree - bob forth Web Site
- Thanks to Jean Maunder, Ellen Blackwell, Jeff Steele, Chet Spencer, Grant Meadors, Kate G, Stephen Wilkinson, Alexis Connolly, Johanna Amnelin, Richard Ragland,
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Adeliza's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Richard Ragland, Chet Spencer, Jean Maunder, Ellen Blackwell, Wendy Hampton, and Jeffrey Steele. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 16 Aug 2015 at 02:23 GMT Rev Daniel Washburn Jones wrote:
On 14 Aug 2015 at 23:53 GMT Betty (Lockwood) Warner wrote:
On 29 Mar 2014 at 02:25 GMT Darlene (Athey) Athey Hill wrote:
Adeliza is 25 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 27 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 35 degrees from Michael Phelps, 28 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.