- HISTORICAL & GENEALOGY OF THE WOODSONS AND THEIR CONNECTIONS by Henry Morton Woodson. Abraham Michaux was an inscribed member of the French Huguenot Church in Amsterdam on 28 Jan 1691. The Michaux family left Amsterdam on 8 May 1701 for London.
- The book states that there is a Michaux family Bible and Prayer Book in the Episcopal Seminary, Alexandria, VA. [There is a Bible but it has no real genealogy value and lists no births, deaths, marriages, with the exception of inside the back cover is written "Paul Micaux Was born In ye year of our Lord 1078, March 17th". This statement is meaningless unless the writer intended to say he was born in 1708.]
- THE DOUGLAS REGISTER lists Abra. Michaux in a list of French Protestant Refugees (Hugenots) in Henrico, Virgina. The list is assigned to the period 1714. Shows Abraham with wife, 4 sons, 6 daughters.
- HUGUENOT EMIGRATION TO VIRGINIA, COMPILED FOR THE VIRGINIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY BY R. A. BROCK, GPC, 1966, pp.165-166. In listing the Descendants of Bartholomew Dupuy, Asa Dupuy (1817-1884) was married (1) to a Michaux and the footnote says she was a descendant of Abraham Michaux from Sedan France.
- "...whose will is of record in Henrico county court, July, 1717. Legatees--wife, Susanna
- (nee Rochette); sons: Jacob, John, Paul, Abraham; daughters:
- Anne, Jane, Magdalene, Susanna, Olive (Jude), Elizabeth, Amanda,
- "Easter," Mary. The Michaux family in its connections include, with
- others, the estimable names of Abbott, Anderson, Archer, Branch, Calhoun,
- Carrington, Caulfield, Chase, Cocke, Cunningham, Daniel, Flournoy,
- Gaines, Hill, Hughes, Kilpatrick, King, Legrand, Lockett, Martin,
- Mason, Matthews, McNutt, Moorman, Morgan, Morton, Nance, Quin,
- Reid, Rice, Robard, Scott, Spencer, Venable, Watkins, Wherry, Williams,
- Wood and Woodson."
- GENEALOGIES OF VIRGINIA FAMILIES:
- A deed in Cumberland Co dated 27 Oct 1760, shows that Abraham Michaux made a will 13 May 1717. Children of Abraham were Jacob, John, Paul, James, Magdalene, Susanna, & Olive Judith who married Anthony Morgan after his death. Morgan had since departed this life leaving Elizabeth, wife of John Minter, and Agnes, wife of Benjamin Clopton. [There was also a son named Abraham as proved by Deed in Goochland Co VA DB 5, p.5]
- CAVALIERS & PIONEERS; Vol III,
- p.98 2 Nov 1705 574 acres in Henrico Co South side of James & both sides of lower Manakin Towne Crk. Import of 12 persons.
- [This land was sold: Deed #17 1 April 1707 Abraham MICHAUX of King William Parish, Henrico County,to Rane LAFORCE, of Henrico Parish, Henrico County, for 11,574 lbs, as by patent 2 Nov 1705 granted to said Michaux, being on south side of James River on both sides of Lower Manakin Town Creek. Wit: Joseph Pleasants, John Cox Recorded 1 Apr 1707.]
- p.139 27 Jan 1713 850 acres Henrico Co, South side of James. Adj. Mr. Charles Fleming on the river. Import of 9 persons. [See patent to son-in-law Anthony Morgan 27 Sep 1729]
- p.181 23 Mar 1715 230 acres Henrico, South side James adj. Capt Abraham Salle; on North side lower Manakin Crk on line of Bartholomew Dupee. Part of 1st 5000 acres surveyed for the French Refugees.
- Will of Abraham Micaux, Henrico Co Book 1714-1718, p.187. States he was born in the City of Cedent [Sedan] France in 1672; now of Henriico County, Virginia. Son Jacob to have 200 acres of tract I live on to be laid off at upper end. Son John to have 100 acres of same tract adjacent to Jacob. Son Abraham, 100 acres adjacent John. Wife Susanna the plantation on which I now live with 100 acres to return to my son John Paul Michaux. My three eldest daughters, Anne, JaneMagdalin, & Susanna, 300 acres to be laid off at the lower end. To Daughter Olive Judi the remaining part on one side or other of the plantation. To wife Susanna my land and plantation at Manakin Town, 233 acres with privilege to make sale of the same to purchase slaves which after her decease return to my three youngest daughters: Elizabeth, AnnMadlin, & Easter Mary. Susanna & son Jacob to be Executrix & Executor. Dated 13 May 1717. Wit: John Atkinson, Bartholomew C. Cox. Recorded by the Court on 5 Aug 1717.
- Goochland Co VA Deed Book 4:
- p.5 29 Dec 1741 Abraham Michaux sold 100 acres to Robert Burton; land patented by his father and left to him by Will. Jacob Michaux was one of the witnesses. States that this land was patented by Abraham's father and left to him by Will.
- p.48 5 Mar 1741 Samuel Atkinson sold 50 acres to Jacob Michaux
- p.123 25 Jun 1742 John Adkinson sold 49 acres to Jacob Michaux. The Adkinson land [200 acres] had been left the four heirs of Thomas Atkinson.
- p.191 10 May 1743 Jacob Michaux bought the remaining 100 acres from John and Samuel Atkinson.
- p.353 20 Mar 1743 Paul Michaux witnessed a deed of John Nichols to Richard Owen
- Deed Book 5:
- p.279 24 Mar 1744 Inventory of estate of Jacob Michaux, dec'd.
- Source: S231 Abbreviation: Ancestry of William Clopton Title: Lucy Lane Erwin, The Ancestory of William Clopton of York County, Virginia, (Rutland, Vermont: The Tuttle Publishing Co., Inc., 1939) Repository: #R10 Call Number: CS/71/C641/1939
- Repository: R10 Name: NEHGS Lending Library Address: New England Historic Genealogical Society Address 1: New England Historic Genealogical Society Note: 2008. No longer lends books, available only at the Library.
- Source: S234 Abbreviation: The Douglas Register Title: Edited by W. Mac Jones, The Douglas Register. Detailed record of Births, Marriages, Deaths.....as kept by the Rev. William Douglas, from 1750 to 1797. [Note: Douglas went to Goochland in 1750 but did not start the Registter until 1756.] An Index of Goochland Wills. Notes on the French-Huguenot Refugees who lived in Manakin-Town. (Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. Baltimore Reprinted 1985; Original, 1928. c1966) Available online at Ancestry.com by subscription. Note: Copies sent by Jean B. Willis (1977 printing) CONT National Genealogical Society Lending Library (1985 Printing) CONT Also available at FHC in Montgomery Repository: #R3 Page: p.372-373
- Repository: R3 Name: My Files Address:
- Source: S587 Abbreviation: Genealogies of Virginia Families Title: Introduction John Frederick Dorman; Index by Carol Lee Ford, Genealogies of Virginia Families From the William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine. Vol I: Adams-Clopton (Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. 1982) Repository: #R12 Page: Vol I, p.850-865
- Repository: R12 Name: Birmingham Public Library-Tutwiler Collection Address: 2100 Park Place CONT Birmingham, AL 35203 Address 1: 2100 Park Place City: Birmingham State: AL Postal Code: 35203 Note: M-T 9AM-8PM CONT W-Sa 9AM-6PM CONT Su 2PM-6PM Phone Number: 205-226-3665
- Source: S802 Abbreviation: Virginia Genealogies Title: Genealogies of Virginia Families IV; "The Huguenot Abraham Michaux & Descendants" (Geanealogy.com Online Library.) Repository: #R6 Page: No. 1, p.325
- Repository: R6 Name: Online Address: Web Address: http://www.gentryjournal.org/index.htm
This person was created on 31 October 2010 through the import of Pioneer Stock.GED.
Abraham was born in 1672. Abraham Michaux ... He passed away about 1717. 
No more info is currently available for Abraham Michaux. Can you add to his biography?
- William Ramage, firsthand knowledge. Click the Changes tab for the details of edits by William and others.
- ↑ Entered by William Ramage, Mar 4, 2012
Michaux’s Grant Family Cemetery, Powhatan County, VA
File submitted for use in the USGenWeb Archives by: Suzanne Bullock < MSBullock2@email.msn.com >
USGENWEB NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any other organization or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent of the contributor, or the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with proof of this consent.
The Michaux Family Cemetery at Michaux’s Grant is located east of 522 and just south of the James River in Powhatan Co., VA in a subdivision called Michaux’s Grant Farms.
The family did not use engraved headstones until the time of the Civil War. Between 9 to 12 Fieldstones were use to mark graves, but often the family just knew where someone was buried. Over the years, that information has been lost. Some of those reported to be buried in the cemetery are Abraham Michaux and his wife Susanne Rochet Michaux, their son Jacob Michaux and his wife Judith Woodson, their son Jacob Michaux whose wife was Sally Neville (she is believed to have remarried and is not buried there), their son Jacob Michaux and his wife Mary Ann Elizabeth Woodson. Other children of these couples may also be buried there, as well as the family slaves and local Indians.
The Headstones are as follows:
Jacob Michaux born 1803 died 1868
Marian Michaux Word born April 5, 1859 died September 7, 1885
Our Mother Fannie A. Michaux died March 20, 1890 (Footstone: FAM)
Richard H. Ludlam born May 9, 1848 died September 20, 1908
MICHAUX William Walthall Michaux July 30, 1864 - June 16, 1944 Byrd Sublett Michaux September 28, 1869 - March 31, 1962
Frank E. Michaux born Oct. 29, 1888 died March 9, 1890 A Sleep in Jesus
Page D. Michaux September 27, 1901 May 9, 1919
Miller Woodson Michaux Feb 16, 1892 November 6, 1961
Frances Howell Michaux Wife of Miller Woodson Michaux March 16, 1899 December 19, 1918
Cora Ludlam Michaux August 29, 1851 October 19, 1930
W. R. Michaux November 11, 1889 December 3, 1911
Waddy Thompson Michaux April 8, 1848 January 13, 1920
Joseph N. Michaux killed April 6, 1865 Aged 20 years A brave soldier and Christian. One of pure of heart who shall see God. (Footstone: JNM)
Sleep in Jesus In Memory Sallie Walthall daughter of Robert and Kate Dunn born August 28, 1860 died September 25, 1863 Age 3 yrs and 28 days (Footstone: SWD) In the 1990s a monument was placed in the center of the cemetery by Richard A. Michaux that reads:
In Memory Of ABRAHAM MICHAUX born 1672 Sedan, France died 1717 Michaux Grant, Powhatan Co., VA and his wife SUSANNE ROCHET born 1676 Sedan, France died 1741 Michaux Grant, Powhatan Co., VA MICHAUX
No more info is currently available. Can you add to this biography?
- WikiTree profile Michaux-47 created through the import of GBS.ged on Oct 5, 2012 by George Salley. See the Changes page for the details of edits by George and others.
- ↑ Entered by William Ramage, Mar 4, 2012
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Abraham by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Abraham:
- Joe Poole - AncestryDNA
GEDMatch ID 5913521
Ancestry.com member Joe_Poole
- Jack Templeton - Family Tree DNA Family Finder
GEDMatch ID F63127
Family Tree DNA kit 63127
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: George Salley and Ryan Oldigs. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On December 2, 2015 at 20:59GMT James Evans wrote:
Abraham is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 18 degrees from Frank Russell Capra, 21 degrees from Mark Hamill, 16 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.