- Roger II (Montgomery) de Montgomery's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Nov 1071: Earl of Shrewsbury
- Roger de Montgomery - was born in 1022, lived in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England and died 27 Jul 1094 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
- p. Roger de Montgomery and Josceline de Ponteaudemer.
- Roger de Montgomery wasn't at the Battle of Hastings, but was left at home to look after Normandy for William while he was in England. He contributed greatly to the invasion force and was to be richly rewarded for his loyal services. Earl Roger de Montgomery founded the Arundel Castle on Christmas Day 1067. It was after King William had held his Christmas Court at Gloucester and awarded Montgomery the Earldom, that he ordered him to build a castle on the Arun to protect the inland reaches. Roger de Montgomery was already an extremely powerful man in his native Normandy and had been a close friend of William's since William was a teenager as he was his cousin. He was present at the Council of Lillebonne in 1066, and agreed to contribute 60 ships to aid the invasion plans of England. He returned with William from Normandy in 1067 and he was summoned to attend Chrismas at Gloucester with the king where he was awarded his honours as one of William's most trusted men. Earl Roger was succeeded at Arundel by his son, Robert, known as Robert de Belleme. John Fitzalan of Clun, who had married Hugh de Albini's daughter Isobel, acquired the Castle and Honour of Arundel. The Fitzalan's were to hold the castle in an almost uninterrupted line until 1555 when Mary Fitzalan, last of the family, married Thomas, 4th Duke of Norfolk, thereby carrying Arundel into the Howard family where it remains to this day.
- 1. Roger de Montgomery, d. ca. 1060/1062
- 2. Robert de Montgomery "de Belleme", b. ca. 1052/56, d. 1118 or after
- 3. Hugues de Montgomery, b. 1053/59, d. 31 Jul 1098
- 4. Roger de Montgomery "le Poitevin," d. 1123, m/ (before 1091) Almodis de la Marche, daughter of Audebert [II] Comte de la Marche & his wife Ponce ---
- 5. Philippe de Montgomery "Grammaticus," d. Antioch 1099
- 6. Arnoul de Montgomery, d. after 1119, m. 1102 Lafracoth of Munster, daughter of Murtach O'Brien King of Munster & his wife
- 7. Emma de Montgomery, d. 4 March 1113, nun and abbess of Almenèches
- 8. Matilde de Montgomery, d. 1185, m. Robert Comte de Mortain
- 9. Mabile de Montgomery, d. after 1132, m. Gervaise Seigneur de Châteauneuf-en-Thimerais
- 10. Sibylle de Montgomery, m. 1st Robert FitzHamon Lord of Glamorgan; m. 2nd Jean Sire de Raimes
- m.2 Adelais du Puiset [de Breteuil] Issue: 1.
- 11. Everard de Montgommery, d before 1135/36
- Issue by Mistress:
- 12. Hugues de Montgommery
- Burial: 27 Jul 1093 Shrewsbury Abbey, Shrewsbury, England
- Medieval Lands Index. Publication: Online database; Foundation for Medieval Genealogy. Address: http://www.fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/
- Dictionary of National Biography, Volumes 1-20, 22 Author: Ancestry.com Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors. Original data - Stephen, Sir Leslie, ed. Dictionary of National Biography, 1921-1922. London, England.
- Ancestry.com family trees
- Quality review, Varnell-40 16:01, 27 March 2015 (EDT)
This page has been edited according to Style Standards adopted January 2014. Descriptions of imported gedcoms for this profile are under the Changes tab.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Roger II's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Stephen Gerwing, Ellen Blackwell, and Wendy Hampton. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Roger II is 24 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 46 degrees from Anne Frank, 29 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 22 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.