This person was created through the import of Shortened files.ged on 30 December 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
- Name: Michael /MOSER/
- Name Suffix: Jr
- Source: #S788
- Date: 4 MAR 1782
- Place: Weissenberg Twp, Northampton [now Lehigh] Co PA
- Source: #S534
- Date: 8 AUG 1859
- Place: Glencoe, Somerset Co PA
- Source: #S534
- Reference: 0122
- Date: 4 AUG 1782
- Place: Zion Lutheran Church, Lower Macungie Twp, Lehigh Co PA
- Source: #S788
- Place: Fink's Cemetery, Glencoe, Somerset Co PA
- Religion: @N134@
- Note: @N3555@
- @N3555@ NOTE
- 1850 Somerset Co PA, Southampton Twp, p 211, #104-106. Michael Moser 65 m farmer PA
- 1840 Somerset Co PA, p 16: Michael Moser, 10012001.../00011001...
- 1830 Bedford Co PA, Londonderry Twp, p 88: Michael Moser, 10320001.../1101101...
- 1820 Bedford Co PA, Colerain Twp, p 14: Michael Moser Jr, 300010/21010
- 1810 Berks Co PA, Windsor Twp: Michl Moser, 10010/11010
- 1800 possibly Lynn Twp, Northampton Co PA: 20111/30010
- 1790 possibly Northampton Co PA, Whitehall Twp, p 305: "John Moser," 132
- In 1987, we discovered that Augustus Dorsey's mother was Sarah Moser. His second marriage license, to Ersula Frye, gave his father's name as "Loyd Dorsey" and his mother as "Sarah Dorsey, maiden name Sarah Moser." Augustus's half-brother Michael Coughenour's 1924 death certificate confirmed that their mother was Sarah Moser, born in "Bath Co PA," a non-existent county.
- I already had Sarah and Augustus in the 1850 census, with her second husband David Coughenour and several Coughenour children, including Michael, but now we realized that the Coughenours were listed between two Moser families, Michael, age 65, and William, age 31. Michael's wife was listed in that census as "Margaret," age 65.
- I obtained notes from the Somerset County Historical and Genealogical Society, which included other Moser individuals and the burials of Michael and his wife, "Maria Magdalena." These notes and the census record allowed us to forn this biographical statement for Sarah:
- Sarah MOSER. Born on 27 Mar 1813 in PA.
- Sarah died in Somerset Co PA on 8 Dec 1870.
- Buried in Somerset Co PA.
- Sarah possibly married Lloyd DORSEY, in PA; no marriage or divorce record has been found. Born on 12 Mar 1813 in Somerset Co PA, Lloyd died in Somerset Co PA on 3 Jun 1873.
- They had one child, Augustus (1841-1924). A notebook of Dorsey family data from Somerset Co PA confirms that Lloyd's had a first wife, the mother of his son Augustus.
- Sarah second married David COUGHENOUR, in PA. Born on 15 Apr 1801 in Somerset Co PA. They had the following children:
- i. Mary (1847->1924)
- ii. Christina (1849-<1924)
- iii. Magdeline (>1850-)
- iv. Michael (1854-1924)
- Starting in 1987, Evelynne Alvis also corresponded with Arliss Eilerts of Kansas, who provided detailed notes and both correct and incorrect information.
- Her compiled Family Group Sheet for Michael Moser gives some of the following data:
- 1. Michael MOSER Jr. Born on 13 Feb 1782 in Orwigsburg, W. Brunswick Twp, Berks [now Schuylkill] Co PA. Michael died in Glencoe PA on 8 Aug 1859. Buried in Glencoe PA. He married Maria Magdalena or Margaret --. Born on 3 Jan 1780 in PA. Maria Magdalena died in Glencoe PA on 6 Jul 1858.
- They had the following children:
- 1. Reuben MOSER. Born on 15 Jan 1805 in Berks Co PA. Reuben died in Somerset Co PA on 25 Oct 1873. On 20 Feb 1839 when Reuben was 34, he married Mary Ann FRAZER, in Bedford Co PA. Born on 29 Sep 1822 in Bedford Co PA. Mary Ann died in Osborne KS on 29 Jun 1881.
- 2. Maria MOSER. Born ca 1810 in PA. On 8 Aug 1830 Maria married Samuel HUFFMAN, in Bedford Co PA.
- 3. Sarah MOSER. Born on 27 Mar 1813 in PA. [See above.]
- 4. Nathaniel MOSER. Born on 25 Mar 1815 in PA. Nathaniel died in Somerset Co PA on 23 Mar 1857; he was 41. In 1841/1845 Nathaniel married Catherine Ann FAIR.
- 5. Abraham MOSER. Born in 1816 in PA. In 1840/1841 Abraham married Julian --.
- 6. William MOSER. Born on 16 Feb 1817 in Berks Co PA. William died in Somerset Co PA on 8 Nov 1855. On 2 Apr 1847 when William was 30, he married Margaret Rebecca FINK. The administrator and guardian of his estate was Edward Dorsey, older brother of Lloyd Dorsey.
- 7. George MOSER. Born on 20 Mar 1820 in PA. George died in Somerset Co PA on 4 Apr 1862. George married Mary Ann WOLFORD. They had one child, William (1839-). They were living in Augustus Dorsey's household in 1860.
- 8. Barbara MOSER.
- 9. Polly MOSER.
- 10. Lydia MOSER.On 13 Jan 1833 Lydia married William TIDY, in Bedford Co PA. Their daughter was living in Augustus Dorsey's household in 1860.
- Arliss Eilerts'calls our Michael Moser "Junior," the son of the other Michael Moser in Bedford County PA. Both were present in 1820 in Colerain Township, two pages apart and Michael of Somerset County was identified as "Junior." In 1830 they were in different townships and by 1840 Michael the younger has moved to Somerset County.
- The older Michael Moser of Bedford County died in 1841 and was married to a woman named Eva. He was the Michael born ca 1764 in Northampton Co PA, who married Eva Boortz. A family sketch for her father, Henry Boortz, states that a daughter moved to Bedford Co PA after 1810.
- Bedford Gazette Oct 19, 1838. List of Letters Remaining in the Post office at Bedford on the 1st day of October, 1838, which, if not taken out by the 31st of December, next, will be sent to the General Post office as dead Letters. Persons enquiring for letters in this list will please say they are advertised. [List included:] Moser Michael. (This possibly refers to Michael Sr, but the older man would have been in his 80s.)
- Mark Tunnell at Ancestry.com states: Baptismal records for children Michael (III), Sarah and Mary Magdalena were found at Fridens Union Church, Albany Twp, Berks Co. Some time between 1817 and 1820 Michael. Jr and his family also made the trek to Bedford County, where he turns up in the 1820 Census near his parents who had preceded him there.
- User ID: 9BE41C42034B496E84E9B051A9F51A424A30
- Data Changed:
- Date: 25 JUN 2010
Prior to import, this record was last changed 25 JUN 2010.
- Husband: Michael Moser
- Wife: Maria Magdalena --
- Date: BEF 1805
- User ID: 29B30D48E94249469B1C5DE5F47EAA8484E2
- Child: Reuben Moser
- Child: Susannah Moser
- Child: Lydia Moser
- Child: Maria Magdalena Moser
- Child: Michael (III) Moser
- Child: Sarah Ann Moser
- Child: Nathaniel Moser
- Child: Abraham Moser
- Child: William Moser
- Child: George Moser
- Child: Barbara Moser
- Child: Polly Moser
Could not parse date out of BEF 1805.
- Source S534
- Text: Dates are calculated from cemetery records. Fink Congregation, Southampton Twp. The first 22 listings below as deaths recorded by the Rev Ben. Knepper in the Fink Congregation. Many of these persons are buried in the Fink Cemetery, some having no markers. By John Getz.
- Moser George Apr 4 1862 42 0 26
- Moser William Nov 10 1855 38 7 22
- Moser, Mary M Jul 5 1858 78 6 2
- Moser, Michael Aug 10 1859 77 5 4
- Source S788
- Text: Pennsylvania German Cultural Heritage Center at Kutztown University, Kutztown PA, letter 7 Dec 2007 from Lucy Kern, Librarian. Children of Michael and Eva: Michael Moser, born ca 1782, Zion's Lutheran Church, Lower Macungie Twp, in John T Humphrey, PA Births. Lehigh Co 1734-1800, p 193. Johann Heinrich, in Rev A S Leiby, Church Rec, Jordan Lutheran Church, So Whitehall Twp, Lehigh Co PA, 27. Magdalene and Elizabeth in Paul Buralli, Church Rec of the Schlosser's or Union Reformed Church, Unionville. No Whitehall Twp, Lehigh Co PA, pp 53, 56. Margaretha, Daniel, Elisabeth, Esther, in Raymond E Hollenbach, Church Rec of the Schlosser's or Union Reformed Church, Unionville. No Whitehall Twp, Lehigh Co PA, pp 2, 3, 4, 6. Esther was also in Leiby, 11.
- Michael Jr's profession was in Donna R Irish, PA German Marriages, p 407.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Register as a guest to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Michael's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post comments. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 10 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.