- Thomas (Neville) Westmorland's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Thomas Neville Westmoreland - Generation No. 5 (formerly Neville) (Edmund4, Richard3 Neville, William2, Richard1) was born in 1601 in Milburn, North of Appleby-in-Westmorland County (Now known as Cumbria County, England). On December 29, 1624 the "Earldom of Westmorland" passed from the Neville Family to the Fane Family when Sir Francis Fane was appointed as the 1st (Fane) Earl Of Westmoreland - Based partly on the fact that Charles Neville and Edmund Neville, the 6th and 7th Earl of Westmoreland, both fled England in disgrace. Thomas Neville of Milburn felt in dishonor and reacted by changing his name to Westmoreland, the County in which he was born. His son James, at the age of 17 left home and sailed for America, landing in Boston, Mass., moving on south to Virginia where he settled down and married and had a son named John. His son, Thomas, remained in Milburn, Westmorland County, England. There were many branches of the Neville Family who retained the name of Neville and they, with their descendants, remained and continue to live in England today. Thomas Westmoreland remained in England when his brother James Westmoreland (formerly Neville) came to America.
Thomas Neville Westmoreland formerly: Neville as last name at birth. Birth: 1601 Milburn, North of Appleby in Westmoreland Co (now Cumbria Co), England. Death: 1665 (64) UK.
Parents and Siblings:
Spouse and Children:
- Mary (?) Westmoreland
- James Neville, born 1635 in Milburn, Westmoreland Co, England. (came to America) (He kept the name "Neville".
- Thomas Westmoreland, born 1636. (Stayed in England) (He changed his name from Neville to "Westmoreland" )
CITING THIS RECORD: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Ancestral File," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:MWQ4-LD1 : accessed 2015-08-28), entry for Thomas Neville WESTMORELAND ;[SIR].
- WikiTree profile Westmoreland-157 created through the import of armstrong j.ged on Nov 24, 2012 by Jeff Armstrong.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Sally Stovall and Jeff Armstrong. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Thomas is 21 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 35 degrees from Anne Frank, 23 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 27 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.