|Jonas Nilsson belongs to a New Sweden family.|
|If you are interested in this profile,
please check out the New Sweden Project!
Jonas Nilsson was born in Skaning,Hundred, Skaraborg, Sweden in 1620.
Name: Joen (Jonas) NILSSON Surname: Nilsson Given Name: Joen (Jonas) Sex: M Birth: 1620 in Skaning, Hundred, Skaraborg, Sweden Christening: 1620 Skaning, Hundred, Skaraborg, Sweden Death: Oct 1693 in New sweden, Tinicum island, Penn Burial: Old Swedes Church, Cemetary, Penn
Birth: 1620 Skaraborg Dalarnas Lan, Sweden Death: Oct. 23, 1693 Philadelphia Philadelphia County Pennsylvania, USA
Immigration to New Sweden
He arrived at Fort Christina, New Sweden on 15 February 1643.
- "1643 - The Fama and Swan arrive from Sweden, bringing Johan Printz, first royal governor of New Sweden, six feet tall and weighing 400 pounds, with 50 new settlers, including Captain Sven Skute, soldiers Jonas Nilsson, Jürgen Keen, Johan Gustafsson, Anders And-ersson Homman, Peter Jochimsson and the family of Anders Andersson the Finn. Printz builds Fort Elfsborg on east side of Delaware and Fort New Gothenburg on Tinicum Island, where he also builds his own manor house, called Printzhof."
Jonas came to New Sweden as a soldier with Governor Printz and was described in the accounts of the colony as a tailor. After marrying and becoming a freeman in 1654, he established his farm at Kingsessing with his wife Gertrude. In July 1654, he sailed to Sweden on the ship Ornen (the Eagle), but promptly returned on the Mercurius in 1656. Each of his sons took the patronymic of Jonasson which evolved into the surname Jones.
Husband of Gertrude Svensdotter — married 1648 in New Sweden (alt marriage date is 1654) Father of Jonas Jonasson Jones
Death and Legacy
He died in October 1693 in New Sweden. He was buried in the Gloria Dei Old Swedes' Church in Wicaco (now Philadelphia).
- ↑ Dr. Peter Stebbins Craig. "Chronology of Colonial Swedes on the Delaware 1638-1713." orig. pub Swedish Colonial News, Volume 2, Number 5 (Fall 2001). Retrieved from http://colonialswedes.net/History/Chronology.html
- U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, Yates Publishing
- http://mv.ancestry.com/viewer/5158985b-5320-474e-9449-0a665f6e237e/31346176/12490955963 (Lists children)
- http://mv.ancestry.com/viewer/373ffd9b-5be7-4dea-a4e4-fcc759d3f16a/11916139/-371121633 (Excerpt from Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County)
Note: Nilsson listed here as correct LNAB.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Jonas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Danielle Mc Donough, Pat Vasil, Grant Glover, Donna Kunkle, Macyle Pine, and Nancy Dzierzawski. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On November 30, 2015 at 02:33GMT H Husted wrote:
On November 4, 2015 at 13:39GMT Michelle McQueen wrote:
Jonas is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 31 degrees from Gene Kelly, 30 degrees from Bram Stoker and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.