- Ælfgifu (Northumbria) Wessex's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- b. 997 or 1003 Wessex
- p. AEthelred II the Unready and Elfreda (AElfgifu)
- m. Uchtred the Bold, Ealdorman of Northumbria. Issue: 2
- Ealdgyth (b.ante 1016) m. Maldred, brother of Duncan I of Scotland
- Ancestral File Number: 8XQ8-94. FamilySearch.
- 'Simeon of Durham. Siege of Durham.
On January 31, 2012 Paul Lee wrote:
daughter of Æthelred II Unræd, King of England & his first wife Ælflæd
Two children, both daughters, both born 1016 or earlier:
1. Ealdgyth (Ælfgifa) who married Maldred MacCrínán
2. (nameless) mother of Siward and Ealdred
m thirdly ([1009/16]) ÆLFGIFU, daughter of ÆTHELRED II King of England & his first wife Ælflæd ---. Simeon of Durham's Account of the Siege of Durham records the third marriage of "Cospatric's son…Ucthred" (although from the context "Cospatric" appears to be an error for "Waltheof") and "king Ethelred…his…daughter Elfgiva". She is named as daughter of King Æthelred by Roger of Hoveden, when he records her marriage. Her marriage date is estimated on the assumption that it is unlikely that she would have been married before her older sister Eadgyth.
Earl Uhtred & his third wife had [two children]:
4. EALDGYTH [Ælfgifu] (1016 or before-). Simeon of Durham names "Algiva daughter of earl Uchtred [and] of Algiva daughter of king Agelred" when recording that her father arranged her marriage to "Maldred the son of Crinan", although her father was long since dead when she married. She is named as daughter of Uhtred and Elgiva by Roger of Hoveden, who also names her husband and his father. m ([before 1040]) MALDRED Lord of Allerdale, Regent of Strathclyde, son of CRINAN "the Thane" Mormaer of Atholl [Scotland] & his wife Bethoc of Scotland Lady of Atholl (-[killed in battle 1045]).
5. [daughter (1016 or before-). Her parentage has not been confirmed by primary sources. However, her husband is named as the father of Siward and Ealdred by Orderic Vitalis, the brothers being described as "pronepotes" of King Edward "the Confessor". Assuming this relationship is correctly translated as great-nephew, their father would have been either the king's nephew or married to the king's niece. If Æthelgar had been the king's blood relation, it is likely that he would have been referred to in other contemporary sources which appears not to have been the case. It is therefore more probable that it was Æthelgar's wife who was related to the king, a relationship through Ælfgifu daughter of King Æthelred II being the most likely possibility given the lack of information on descendants of any of the other daughters of King Æthelred.] m ÆTHELGAR (-before 1066). It is assumed that he had recently predeceased his sons in early 1067 when they "made peace with [King] William". If Æthelgar had been alive at the time, he would presumably have "made peace" himself and noted as such by Orderic Vitalis. If he had been long dead, it is unlikely that he would have been specifically named as father of the two brothers. Æthelgar & his wife had two children:
a) SIWARD (-after 1067). He and his brother were described as "pronepotes" of King Edward ["the Confessor"] by Orderic Vitalis, being among the men who "made peace with [King] William" in [early 1067]. There is no further indication about their precise relationship to the king. Presumably they were grandsons of one of his half-sisters. The name Ealdred suggests a connection with the family of the Earls of Northumbria, while Siward suggests a Danish connection.
b) EALDRED (-after 1067). He and his brother were described as "pronepotes" of King Edward ["the Confessor"] by Orderic Vitalis, being among the men who "made peace with [King] William" in [early 1067].
•Ælfgifu Princess of England
born about 0997 Wessex, England
•Æthelred II "The Redeless" King of England
died 23 April 1016 London, England
•Ælfgifu (Aelflaed) Queen of England
born Abt 0968 Of, Wessex, England
married Abt 0985 Of Wessex, England
•Edmund II "Ironside" King of England born about 0988 Wessex, England
died 30 November 1016 London, Middlesex, England buried Glastonbury, Somersetshire, England
Æthelstan Prince of England born about 0986 Wessex, England died 1016 England
Egbert Prince of England born about 0987 Wessex, England died about 1005 England
Edred Prince of England born about 0990 Wessex, England
Edwig Prince of England born about 0991 Wessex, England died 1017 England
Edward Prince of England born about 0992 Wessex, England
Edgar Prince of England born about 0994 Wessex, England
Edith Princess of England born about 0995 Wessex, England
Wulfhild Princess of England born about 0998 Wessex, England
Miss Princess of England born about 1000 Wessex, England
Miss Ethelred of England born about 1001 Wherewell, Hampshire, England
•Ughtred Ealdorman of Northumbria
born about 0971 Northumbria, England
children (from 1st marriage):
•Ealdgyth (Aglithia) Princess of Northumberland
born about 1020? Northumberland, England
•Ælfgar III Earl of Mercia
born about 1002 Mercia, England
died 1059 Mercia, England
buried Coventry, Warwickshire, England
children (from 2nd marriage):
Burhheard of Mercia born about 1030 Mercia, England
•Lucia of Mercia born about 1040 Mercia, England died England buried Spalding, Lincoln, England
•Ealdgyth Queen of England born about 1034 Mercia, England
died after 1086
Leverunia born <1034 Mercia, England>
Edwin Earl of Mercia born about 1028 Mercia, England died after 1070 England
Morcar Earl of Northumbria born about 1030 Mercia, England died after 1070 England
biographical and/or anecdotal:
notes or source:
2696944766. Morcar, died Unknown. He was the son of 5393889532. Eargrim. He married 2696944767. Ealdgyth (Edith).
2696944767. Ealdgyth (Edith), died Unknown. She was the daughter of 5393889535. AElfthryth of Tamworth. l -------------------- Ælfgifu of Wessex married Uhtred "the Bold", Earl of Northumbria, son of Waltheof, Earl of Northumbria, before 1015.
See "My Lines"
from Compiler: R. B. Stewart, Evans, GA
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
- Sige Fitzstyr
- Aelfgifu Godwinssdottir of Wessex
- Aelfgifu Godwinssdottir of Wessex
- Ælfgifu (Northumbria) York
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).DNA
No known carriers of Ælfgifu's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? Login to add it.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Ted Williams, Darrell Parker, Betty Hewett, Paul Lee, Jeff Johnson, Chet Spencer, Dawn Truitt, and Ang Saxberg. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.