Categories: Highland Township Cemetery, Churdan, Iowa.
Chloe was born on August 4, 1884 in Manning, Carroll county, Iowa, the daughter of William Peacock and Mattie Harris. She was the sixth child and fourth daughter and was reared in Carroll and Audubon counties, Iowa, until her parents moved to Adaza, Greene County in 1899.
On 22 March 1905 Chloe married Clarence G. Shriver in Churdan, Greene County, Iowa, and resided on a farm northeast of Churdan for almost 30 years. Chloe and Clarence were the parents of six children, all of whom were born in Churdan, Greene County, Iowa and lived to maturity: Dorothy Mae, born 1906; Gilbert C., born 1907; Robert Darrell, born 1911; Edith Marie and Elva Maxine, twins born 1915; and Mary Jean, born 1923.
Chloe was a member of the Bethal Rebekah Lodge and the Methodist Church in Churdan.
Clarence passed away on May 20, 1928, and Chloe remained on the farm for several years before moving into Churdan in 1933.
She died at her home on January 20, 1950 after a long illness. She is buried in the Highland Township Cemetery, on the outskirts of Churdan, Greene county, Iowa.
Her obituary was published on January 24, 1950, in the Jefferson Bee.
FUNERAL SERVICES FOR CHLOE ETHEL SHRIVER
Churdan – Funeral services were held at the Methodist church in Churdan January 22 for Chloe Ethel Shriver, with the Rev. Fred C. Rowley, pastor of the Methodist church, and Rev. George C. Foster, pastor of the First Baptist church, officiating. Burial was in the Highland Twp. Cemetery.
Casket bearers were Dale Barnes, Donald A. Peacock, Chester Peacock, Vernon Biggs, Jerry Peacock and Floyd Wood. Mrs. Clyde Kemp and Mrs. Dale Clipperton sang “When They Ring the Golden Bells”, accompanied by Mrs. Earl Hoyle. Darwin Barnes sang “The Lord’s Prayer”, accompanied by Mrs. Dale Barnes. The Rebekahs gave their service at the church.
Chloe Ethel Shriver, born August 4, 1884, to William C. and Martha Harris Peacock at Manning, Iowa, departed this life at her home January 20, 1950, at the age of 65 years.
The early years of her life were spent in Carroll and Audubon counties where she lived until her parents moved to Adaza. After her marriage to Clarence G. Shriver on March 22, 1905, she resided on a farm northeast of Churdan until 1933 when she moved to Churdan where she spent the remaining years of her life.
To them were born six children, Dorothy, Gilbert, who died in early manhood, Darrell, Elva, Edith, and Mary Jean. Her husband preceded her in death in 1928.
Besides her family she leaves to mourn her passing two sisters, Ollie Wood and Elsie Biggs of Jefferson, two brothers, Val Peacock of Harris, Iowa, and Alva Peacock of Estherville, nine grandchildren, several nieces and nephews, many neighbors and friends. One sister, Maud Flemmig and two brothers, Ira and William Peacock, preceded her in death.
In young womanhood she united with the Methodist Church of Churdan and remained a member until her death. She was a loyal member of the Bethual Rebekah lodge.
Relatives attending the service were:
Des Moines – Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Stewart, Mr. and Mrs. Merle Stewart, Don Peacock, Ralph Peacock and Mrs. John W. Carty.
Jefferson – Mr. and Mrs. Harry Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Pete Van Gilder and family, Mrs. Elsie Biggs, Mrs. E.B. Wood, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Monthei, Vernon Biggs and Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Louk.
Mr. and Mrs. O.H. McCain, Carroll; Mr. and Mrs. Fayne Adkins, Gowrie; Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Wood, Independence; Mr. and Mrs. George Mantz, Scranton; Miss Jessie Shriver, Chicago; Mrs. Mary Peacock; Mr. and Mrs. Chester Peacock, Spirit Lake; and Jerry Peacock of Ames.
August 4, 1884 - Birth - Manning, Carroll county, Iowa.
1885 - Iowa State Census - Manning, Warren Twp., Carroll county, Iowa. The Peacock family by the 1885 Iowa State census consisted of William and his wife, Mattie; Leah Olive "Ollie", Elsie Mae, William Arthur, Ira Floyd and baby Chloe Ethel Peacock.
1895 - Iowa State Census - The Peacock family is to be found in Union township, Crawford county, Iowa.
1899 - Moved to Greene county, Iowa - Moved to about three miles west of Churdan.
1900 Federal U.S. Census - Highland Township, Greene county, Iowa - By the 1900 federal census, the Peacock family had moved to Highland township, in Greene county, Iowa. The household consisted of the head of household William C., 49; his wife Mattie, 49; and children, William, 20; Ira, 17; Chloe, 15; Maude, 12; Valmie, 6; and Alvie, 4.
March 22, 1905 - Marriage - Was married to Clarence Gilbert Shriver at Adaza, Greene county, Iowa
1910 - U.S. Federal Census - In 1910, the Shriver family was living in Highland Township, Greene county, Iowa. The family consisted of Clarence G., 31; his wife Chloe E., 25; and children, Dorothy M., 4, and Gilbert C., 2. Also living with the family was James A. Stewart, the hired man.
1920 - U.S. Federal Census - In 1920, the Shriver family was living in Highland Twp., Greene county, Iowa. In the family were Clarence G. Shriver, 49; Chloe E., 35; Dorothy M., 13; Gilbert C., 12; Robert D., 8; and twins, Elva M. and Edith M., 4 1/2. Also living with the family was Chloe's mother Martha C. Peacock, 67.
1930 - U.S. Federal Census - By 1930, Chloe Peacock Shriver is widowed, but still living in Highland, Greene county, Iowa. She is listed as head-of-household, 45, and living with her are her three daughters, twins, Edith and Elva, 14; and Mary J., 7. Also listed in the household is Chloe's brother, Alva, 33, who is listed as farming.
1940 - U.S. Federal Census - In 1940, Chloe Shriver was widowed and 55 years old, living in Churdan, Highland Township, Greene County, Iowa, with her two daughters Edith, 24, and Mary Jean, 17. Chloe is listed with no job but Edith is listed as a postal clerk at the post office and Jeannie is working as a waitress in the local cafe.
January 20, 1950 - Death - At her home in Churdan, Greene County, Iowa.
- ↑ "Funeral Services For Chloe Ethel Shriver," Jefferson Bee, 24 Jan 1950, p. 2, col. 1; digital images, NewspaperArchive (http://www.newspaperarchive.com), historic newspapers.
- ↑ Family History Library, "1885 Iowa State Census," database, FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.org), Chloe E. Peacock, age 0; citing Census Records, FHL film 1021448, State Historical Society of Iowa, Iowa State Census Records, Des Moines, Iowa.
- ↑ Ancestry.com. Iowa State Census Collection, 1836-1925 [database online]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data: Microfilm of Iowa State Censuses, 1856, 1885, 1895, 1905, 1915, 1925 as well various special censuses from 1836-1897 obtained from the State Historical Society of Iowa via Heritage Quest.
- ↑ 1900 U.S.census, Greene, Iowa, population schedule, Highland, enumeration district (ED) 90, sheet 6, p. 6B, dwelling 109, family 110, William C. Peacock; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T623, roll 433.
- ↑ 1910 U.S. census, Greene county, Iowa, population schedule, Highland Twp., enumeration district (ED) 0098, sheet 8A, p. 69, dwelling 181, family 186, Clarence G. Shriver; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T624, roll 403.
- ↑ 1920 U.S. census, Greene, Iowa, population schedule, Highland, enumeration district (ED) 10B, sheet 70B, p. 872 penned, dwelling 238, family 241, Clarence G. Shriver; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T625, roll 491.
- ↑ 1930 U.S. census, Greene, Iowa, population schedule, Highland Two., enumeration district (ED)9, p. 2B, dwelling 45, family 45, Chloe Shriver, digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T626, roll 656.
- ↑ 1940 U.S. census, Greene, Iowa, population schedule, Churdan, enumeration district (ED) 37-8, sheet 1A, p. 56 stamped, household 2, Chloe Shriver; digital images, FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.com); citing National Archives and Records Administration microfilm T627, roll 1162.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Chloe's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Chloe is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 22 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 32 degrees from Gene Kelly, 28 degrees from Bram Stoker and 20 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.