- John Pelton's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
John Pelton, born in England, place and time unknown, though probably about 1616, and a descendant of Essex Peltons or Poltons, came to Boston about 1630 to 1633, as his name and a description of his property appears in the “Book of Possessions,” the oldest land record of Boston, made by order of The General Court in 1634. The record therein on page 91 runs thus: “Mr. Owen Roe his possession in the limits of Boston. One house and garden bounded with the streete north; the lane west; the Cove south; and John Pelton east.
John Pelton’s possession in Boston. One house and household lot bounded with Owen Roe west; the streete north; the Cove south; and the marsh on the east.”
These lands were Lots 104 to 108, on the south side of Essex St., from Washington St., easterly. See Map F. or No. 6, page 74 where Owen Rowe, (as here spelled,) has lot 107 and John Pelton 108.
Soon after, in 1635, probably, he removed to Dorchester, then a few miles out of Boston peninsula, now a part of that city, and which had been settled in the same year but a few months earlier. In 1635 or 1636, he became by grant or purchase a joint owner of the Dorchester Patent, and received his share, as also did his heirs in its many divisions.
John died in Dorchester 23 January 1681. His will mentions his wife, Susanna, his sons John, Samuel, Robert and his daughter Mary. Susanna probably lived until May 7, 1706.
Children of John and Susanna
all born in Dorchester
- John, b., probably early in 1645; baptized March 2, 1645; m. about 1673, wife’s name probably Susanna; d. before 1699.
- Samuel, b. about 1647; m. May 16, 1673, Mary Smith
- Robert, born, probably, about 1649—51, at Dorchester, Mass.
- Mary, born about 1653 or '54, baptized Feb. 18, 1654.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 J. M. Pelton. Genealogy of the Pelton family in America : being a record of the descendants of John Pelton who settled in Boston, Mass., about 1630-1632, and died in Dorchester, Mass., January 23rd, 1681. Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell's Sons, 1892. p. 27-29. Available at Ancestry.com. and at Archive .org. Genealogy of the Pelton Family
- WikiTree profile Pelton-56 created through the import of Iak Family Tree.ged on Jun 14, 2011 by William Iak.
- WikiTree profile Pelton-74 created through the import of Ferguson-Private.GED on Jan 27, 2012 by Diane Ferguson.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 14 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 47 degrees from Anne Frank, 21 degrees from AJ Jacobs and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.