- Elizabeth (Persons) Langston's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Elizabeth was born about 1714. She passed away about 1794.
Some researchers show her as Elizabeth E. and others show her as Elizabeth Ann. Documentation is needed. Some accounts list her as Elizabeth Parsons or Piersons.
Research needs to be done on the following statement:
Most researchers have concluded her name was Elizabeth Persons and I think that is right because she is shown in her father's will as a single girl and then as a witness to a document containing the names of her Persons family but signs as Elizabeth as she was by then married to John Langston (Elizabeth is on a deed with him as his wife, so we know he had a second wife named Elizabeth.. almost certainly Persons as explained above. [http://www.megjohn.info/genealogy/uncleged/com527.html
Elizabeth Persons married John Jesse Langston III about 1743 probably in Granville County, North Carolina. John's first wife was Mary Ann Agnes Mangum. Her brother was William Mangum. He married Mary Persons. She was the sister of Elizabeth Persons whose profile is linked below. Could these Persons be cousins from the same clan? The two Elizabeth Persons don't have matching birth dates and places, but could the birth records of one of them be in error so they might be the same Elizabeth Persons?
See Also: http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Persons-45
Deed Book 1 pg 355 4 Feb 1767
John Langston to John Thompson, both of Bute Co for 75 pounds current money for 300 acres in Bute co adj Bennit.
Wit: Benjamin Person, William Person Jr, proved by Benj. Person. Wife of John Langston, not named, having relinquished dow right before W m Johnson, Esq, Bute court, April 1767
[The other Elizabeth Persons does have a brother, Benjamin, and a brother, William.]
Deed Book 3, pg 325, 26 Aug 1770
John Langston and Elizabeth, his wife, of Orange Co. to Randolph Hazle wood of Bute Co for 300 pounds for two tracts of land in Bute Co, a total of 590 acres
Wit: James Langston and Wm. Maddray Proved by William Madry, Bute No. Court 1771 -- http://awtc.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=palmer1&id=I5328
Some resources for further research:
There's some disagreement about the children of Elizabeth and John and the children of John and his first wife so each child needs to be documented.
Potential list of Elizabeth and John's children:
- Samuel Langston b. ca 1740??? [Mentioned in father's will]
- Elizabeth Spann b. ca 1742 [Mentioned in father's will]
- Rebekah "Becka" Williams b. ca 1746 [Mentioned in father's will]
- Jesse Langston b. ca 1747 [Mentioned in father's will]
- Sarah "Sally" Langston b. ca 1749 [Mentioned in father's will]
- Mary "Molly" Langston b. ca 1753 [Mentioned in father's will]
- Martha Langston b. ca 1755
- Frances Langston b. ca 1759 [Mentioned in father's will]
Birth dates, especially of John, Jochonias, and Samuel need primary source documentation.
Sources listed within biography. Need primary sources.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Elizabeth by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share significant DNA with Elizabeth:
- Jim Young - 23andMe
GEDMatch ID F38767
- Stephen Eades - 23andMe
- Jim Young - Family Tree DNA Family Finder
GEDMatch ID F38767
Family Tree DNA kit 38767
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Debby Black and Michelle Brooks. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for questions directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On October 13, 2013 at 17:51GMT Tom Bredehoft wrote:
On October 13, 2013 at 17:34GMT Debby Black wrote:
On October 13, 2013 at 14:15GMT Michelle Brooks wrote: