- Abraham (Peterson) Pietersen UE's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: United Empire Loyalists.
Abraham Peterson was born 27 July 1741 near Tappan, New York, and baptized 23 August 1741 in Tappan, son of Nicholas Peterson II and Tryntje Meyer. The family farm was in what became Bergen County, New Jersey--in 1788 recorded as Abraham's birthplace.
By about 1748 the family lived near Schraalenburgh, Bergen County.
In 1764 "Abraham Petterson" married "Lena Mandego" in Schraalenburgh; this seems to be the record of Abraham's marriage to Mary Magdalena Van Ordin, who was recorded as the mother of his children.
In 1775 he had a leased farm with six horses, six cows and five young cattle, and nine hogs; these and three boats "used for carrying Loyalists on expeditions" were lost to the Rebels.
In 1776 he joined the British in New York City, becoming an Associated Loyalist. In August 1783 he sailed with Captain Grass for Canada. The muster at Sorel, Lower Canada, in December 1783 shows him with wife and five children. Their first Canadian home was in Adolphustown, but by 1788 Abraham was among the first settlers of Hallowell (or Picton) Bay in Sophiasburgh Township, Prince Edward County, across a narrow strait from Adolphustown.
Mary Van Ordin died and by 1789 Abraham married Mary Wright, widow of Samuel Wright. Their farm prospered; its 1798 assessment was £10, among the highest five of 70 assessments in Hallowell. In that year the Crown paid him £72 (on his claim of £122) for possessions lost in New Jersey. “From the time Abraham Peterson had sold a bushel of wheat in Kingston in 1799, agriculture—wheat, barley, buckwheat—had been slowly gaining economic importance” (Lunns).
He died in 1823. His will of that year bequeathed hundreds of pounds but only £3 to "beloved wife" Mary, who contested the will but lost.
Children Of Abraham and Lena
- Nicholas Peterson b ~1768-1845; NJ, NY, Hallowell; m 1809 Margaret (Peggy) Van Tassell
- Ann (Annatje) Peterson 1773-1845; m ~1799 (as second wife) (John) Henry Loyst; NJ, NY, Hallowell, S. Fredericksburgh; JHL m
- Margaret Peterson b 1776 d aft 1843; m ~1794 (Dexter) Doctor Pringle; Fredericksburgh, Adolphustown
- Caroline Peterson 1778-bef. 1784; NY City
- Peter Peterson 1782-1783 or 1784; NY City, Adolphustown
Child of Abraham and Mary
- Sophia Peterson 1789-1863; m 1. 1811 William Black, 2. __ Williams; no children listed in Abraham’s will; Hallowell
In Prince Edward County “From the time Abraham Peterson had sold a bushel of wheat in Kingston in 1799, agriculture—wheat, barley, buckwheat—had been slowly gaining economic importance.” Abraham was materially successful: he cultivated 60 of his 136 acres, and the 1798 assessment of Hallowell records his tax at £5, among the higher levels.39
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Abraham by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Abraham:
- Corrine Pringle : AncestryDNA, Ancestry member Agent8099
- A.j Jones : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #257523
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 7 Apr 2016 at 21:07 GMT Michelle McQueen wrote:
On 12 Feb 2016 at 11:40 GMT Nan Lambert wrote:
Abraham is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 30 degrees from Michael Phelps, 27 degrees from Neil deGrasse Tyson and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.